Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I absolutely love shedda and have been a defender of his over the years but a very quick check of stats shows that Lids 3 times had more than 35 possessions and kicked 4 or more goals, once he had 36 and 5 goals. That’s elite in any language at any time.
Our view of Lids is clouded by the past 3 years but there is no doubt he was a star

He had a lot of impact, especially the first two. Played almost a loan hand in our midfield against Port Adelaide. He was as good as any player on our list in those 3 finals including many who played big parts in the premierships since.
I’m just responding to your comment that he didn’t stand up in finals because it’s just not true

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
So, does this mean that you have Jack ahead of Richo?

Sometimes very good players just get stuck in an ordinary club and I would not have begrudged Richo had he gone to Hawthorn for the last 2-3 years.

Richo has kicked the most ever goals at the MCG and was a heart and soul champion player in a dire period of Richmonds history but Jack has achieved more. Both champion players but Jacks career will rightly shine because of his 2x G.F heroics.
Impossible to split now whilst Jack is still playing. Let’s review retrospectively

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
He had a lot of impact, especially the first two. Played almost a loan hand in our midfield against Port Adelaide. He was as good as any player on our list in those 3 finals including many who played big parts in the premierships since.
I’m just responding to your comment that he didn’t stand up in finals because it’s just not true

His Carlton final was marred by Duigan kicking a few on him late but he was a standout against Port. Goal at 4:10 would be better remembered in other circumstances. Edwards was invisible in those games.

Six times top three in the b&f (and Rising Star in another year) v Edwards' one. Yeah, nah.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Shed has certainly made up for any quite games while playing as a small forward by being our leading clearance player in both Premierships and a dominant player in both.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
His Carlton final was marred by Duigan kicking a few on him late but he was a standout against Port. Goal at 4:10 would be better remembered in other circumstances. Edwards was invisible in those games.

Six times top three in the b&f (and Rising Star in another year) v Edwards' one. Yeah, nah.
Brilliant, thanks for sharing. I had forgotten (a) how quick Lids was when younger and (b) how strong he was overhead.

Watching this made me sad that he missed the rewards.

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Well worth another read.

Thanks for the refresher there @tigerman

Stumbled across another replay of the GF on fox again today .. One thing about Shane that supporters of other clubs dont realise is that apart from his exquisite skills, he's a seriously tough bugger! Loved him giving it to Greene on a few occasions and he doesn't back off!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
His footwork is magic too, he pivots around like a pro basketballer and sells so much foot candy the opposition are comatose

yeah, and the really exciting thing is,

$hai Bolton make Sheds footwork look like Ivan Soldo's

Reactions: 1 user

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
yeah, and the really exciting thing is,

$hai Bolton make Sheds footwork look like Ivan Soldo's
Was thinking the EXACT same thing, after watching all the finals again. Comparing shedda and Shai at the same stage of their careers and Shai is light years ahead.

Certainly has a lot of ground to make up to catch Edwards, but bloody hell he is exciting to watch. Makes the hard stuff look so easy.

A few years back, we'd get to the Dreamtime game and Edwards would be our only indigenous representative. 2020 could realistically see Shedda, Shai, Stacky, Rioli and Marlion all line up together.

Simon Cowell doesn't own that much X Factor!

Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
While Bolton is a freestyle breakdancer who hypnotises with flowing movement , sheds seems to stay in place an mesmerise with stacCato like an old school tap dancer while his hands do the work

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Was thinking the EXACT same thing, after watching all the finals again. Comparing shedda and Shai at the same stage of their careers and Shai is light years ahead.

Certainly has a lot of ground to make up to catch Edwards, but bloody hell he is exciting to watch. Makes the hard stuff look so easy.

A few years back, we'd get to the Dreamtime game and Edwards would be our only indigenous representative. 2020 could realistically see Shedda, Shai, Stacky, Rioli and Marlion all line up together.

Simon Cowell doesn't own that much X Factor!

Watched the 19 gf again last night. Theres a passage early in the 2nd where all our black fellas are involved between the centre and chf.

It is beautiful

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Edwards in his last 3 years has elevated himself into a great, skilful, and start footballer.
He has become our version of Shaun Bygyoune.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Why is it, when I put my best current Richmond team in position, that I look at it and think ''there is someone missing, who have I forgotten",
and it is Edwards.

Is it because he can play in so many positions?
Is it because I maybe have Alzheimers? !

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Well if hes still on top of his game his longevity might be very important going forward.

He might have to be the conduit between the current leadership to the next generation.

Handled the job very well last year when required.

Reactions: 3 users