Sheeds | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sheeds

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
So Sheeds in strife for not wearing a mask ...

I couldn't care less about that the masks; the real story should be 'what the hell is the 'back pocket plumber' doing talking to Liberals?'

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Only answer i can come up with is that he's a professional turncoat so maybe that's it.

Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I couldn't care less about that the masks; the real story should be 'what the hell is the 'back pocket plumber' doing talking to Liberals?'

$.

Sheeds is a professional speaker / motivator and would have no problems taking dollars from a dead horse.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Only answer i can come up with is that he's a professional turncoat so maybe that's it.
Sheedy had more years in the job then any other coach because his nessaging and teaching never got old.
We all say we can't stand Sheedy because he would always just use us as a way to increase the pay packet when negotiating a new deal with Essendon.
But (besides Kickett) not many have talked down his coaching.
I don't mind him speaking to pollys because he knows exactly what needs to be done

Reactions: 1 user

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Sheedy might have started as a plumber but he had enough street nous to sense he had to know more to progress and/or stay relevant
so he did a lot of reading and study and with coaching had the platform to try out a lot of the theories he would have read about

Think I've seen that Hardwick has turned to reading a lot for his own self improvement and getting ideas , I wonder who here will be around in 20 years to see if he is doing similar with Pollies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Sheedy has spent the last 40 years of his life at Essendon, and now GWS. Of course he is a Lib, and continues to associate with no-hopers.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Sheeds is a past Richmond great, but he is no longer a Richmond person. I don't care what he does, he had his chances to come back to Richmond on a few occasions but didn't want to, he just used us as a bargaining chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Sheeds is a past Richmond great, but he is no longer a Richmond person. I don't care what he does, he had his chances to come back to Richmond on a few occasions but didn't won't to, he just used us as a bargaining chip.

He had a chance in 2009, and this was all he could muster:

Richmond legend Kevin Sheedy returned to the club on Wednesday night to declare provocatively that the Tigers are a chance to snatch this year's flag.

"In 1993 no one thought Essendon could win a premiership," he said. "In 1967 it was classic because it's very similar to Richmond this year.

"If you could take something from the past and history and you look at it, then you may have a wonderful opportunity if you want it to be. The players have to realise that."

"You have got enough experience and youth. For God's sake you have to have the hunger.

"It's a quarter of a century. Don't just roll out another footy season like the last 25, because you have a chance."

-----

For God's sake Sheedy, the Giants had to have the hunger in 2019!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Sheedy is loved by the footy world, but I have always felt he is a flog and a dinosaur.

Reactions: 4 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Kevin Sheedy post-coaching reminds me of the infomercial ad bloke. Wouldn't buy a 10 buck mop from him. Loved him as a Richmond player though.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Sheedy a Great Richmond Player and a Great Essendon Coach. The world would be a boring place without people like Sheedy.

Reactions: 7 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I’ve bumped into him twice randomly in the last few years (once only a few weeks ago actually) - and have to say both times he was incredible. Keen to have a chat and share insights and stories. Showed a genuine interest in my life/work etc asking plenty of questions etc just seemed a great bloke.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I’ve bumped into him twice randomly in the last few years (once only a few weeks ago actually) - and have to say both times he was incredible. Keen to have a chat and share insights and stories. Showed a genuine interest in my life/work etc asking plenty of questions etc just seemed a great bloke.
As an extension of that, I was lucky enough as a youngster to be coached by Sheeds at his peak. He was amazing. Genius in his outlook and ahead of his time, a motivator, wanted to know about you and understand you, harsh and brutal. Behind the spin and overt positivity, a cunning realist with an insatiable desire to succeed in anything he tackles. He works ALL angles. Always. That’s Sheeds.

I get that people are disappointed that Sheeds never came back and coached the club but quite frankly that was never gonna happen whilst we were such a basket case and Sheeds just played the angles there. You see that all the time, especially nowadays.

He’s a great thinker and adds value to almost anything anyone gets him to do.

And finally, make no mistake he loves Richmond. He’s on record as saying that. But reality is, if you’re smart and a highly motivated person who needs to be pushing themselves all the time, and to be at the top of the tree of what your capabilities will allow, you’re not just gonna assign yourself to a lower standard option like we were all those years ago.

Note: Dimma has had him help out on numerous occasions over the years at the club.

Last edited:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Sheedy had more years in the job then any other coach because his nessaging and teaching never got old.
We all say we can't stand Sheedy because he would always just use us as a way to increase the pay packet when negotiating a new deal with Essendon.
But (besides Kickett) not many have talked down his coaching.
I don't mind him speaking to pollys because he knows exactly what needs to be done
I'm referring to how often he's rocked up somewhere with a teams scarf on & it's either a Bombers or GWS one, whenever it suits...

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Sheeds is a past Richmond great, but he is no longer a Richmond person. I don't care what he does, he had his chances to come back to Richmond on a few occasions but didn't want to, he just used us as a bargaining chip.
Not only that, he's also barracked against us at any chance he's had

Reactions: 3 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
I like Sheedy. I loved him as a player. Very, very good footballer. Up forward, rotating in the midfield. Played in 3 flags I think. The 37 year flag drought we endured was tough but there were some highlights along the way. The Northey team, Frawley's team. Us winning the flag in 17 was the greatest, for me. Finally. All the rubbish decisions in the interim years put in perspective. Sheeds bs coaching talk did hurt a bit. But it got shaded by Richmond actually achieving what clubs all want. To get 2 more after that was amazing work work by the club. Sheedy's work and life at Essadon was great too. Brought some good innovations. In conjunction with us, Dreamtime game. Has developed into a great chance to think. Personally I don't care much for Anzac day but I think Sheeds was involved in that.
I live in NSW so I know what the Giants were doing appointing Sheedy. Legend player and legend coach. (Folau too) A name that non football people knew. So, given our opponents were the Giants in 2019 I understand the scarf wearing. I think the Giants have done well to make a GF. Is basically all you can ask. Ridiculous bad run with injury but they draft brilliantly and always have high draft picks. I'd love the idea of Michael Green's grandson to play with us.

Reactions: 2 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Turncoat being a person who changes clubs? How many players,coaches have changed clubs? Thousands? Been part of footy since it began. Some wins some losses. Barrot was my favourite player. But 4 or 5 players change clubs every year. Not to mention coaches. I'm very happy with Hardwick, Balme, Caracalla moving to punt road. Bit sad to lose that good coaching staff too. I'm not sure why you're upset about Sheedy. Maybe you hate Essendon. Me, I am that old I'm stoked to see Grigg start coaching. Newman, Knights, Wayne Campbell, Leon Cameron. I'm happy that they are valued. And I expect Riewoldt to be a good coach.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sheedy a Great Richmond Player and a Great Essendon Coach. The world would be a boring place without people like Sheedy.

Yeah, not my favourite as I was too young to see him play. Understood how to coach well in that era, and how to play the media game. He's done well in life.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A lot of the hatred for Sheedy comes from the way he would manipulate Richmond's interest in him as a coach to better his position at Essendon. Add to this the fact that he has never shown much support for Richmond since he retired as a player and coached elsewhere, and you get a lot of people upset.

I have no qualms about Sheedy moving to other clubs after retiring. He was a great player in his own way, his own way was win at all costs (pretty good at milking frees!) and he also had strategic nous and great ability to read the game. As a coach he also showed how good he was at working out where the game was going, and influencing changes in strategies.

I suppose we would all just like him to occasionally give some credit to the club who gave him his start in VFL/AFL football.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 6 users