Shir | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shir

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
With over 30 disposals for coburg, surely he will be promoted and given a game next week. Anyone know what the likelihood of this is?

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Sorry TG, your right, there are some exceptions to the no balls no brains no heart comment, cogs being one of them. ;D

And hell no he wasnt a mistake!!

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
I would of thought that McGrath would be in the same boat as Shir! I would love to see them, as well as the youngsters playing out the rest of the season!!!

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I think what Harry meant was will he be promoted off the Rookie list which I think is the case with SHIR.

The other question is can we afford to promote him, financially I mean.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Miller has stated a couple of times we don't have a full list because there was no talent available, rather than for financial reasons.
The trouble might be with the new contract rulings though.
If we promote soemone and they aren't up to it we'd have to keep them 2 years.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I would think that Matt is well aware that he has great opportunity over the next few weeks to get himself on the seniors list perhaps for some of this year but definitely for season 2004 (and KL is looking for a player to sponsor next year ;))

But everyone please be aware that he has had some serious injuries over the course of 2003.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
ive never seen him play the only question ive got ,is he good enough does he hve good skills if so he should be promoted immediately lets not die wondering about him

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
rosy3 said:
The trouble might be with the new contract rulings though.
If we promote soemone and they aren't up to it we'd have to keep them 2 years.

Rosy or anyone else. Does the contract rule apply in this case. I would have thought not given that it is a promotion from the rookie list and not a contract renewal.

Anyone know what the situation is in this case. If so it would be another example of how unworkable this rule is.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Dunno Gus :rollin

I presume when they are promoted they'd be given a contract. I think they are guaranted 2 years anyway?
Clear as mud to me actually. I was guessing, ha.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Don't worry Rosy I'm only guessing too. All too hard for me.

Would be interested to here what the correct angle is on this one.

You have probably raised something that the AFL never considered in their infinite wisdom hey Rosy.

Bones

I'm a llama!
May 26, 2003
A rookie can be promoted if a team has players on the long term injury list as Richmond. It does not mean he stays on the list next year - once the injured player is back, he automatically replaces the promoted player.

I watched shir on Saturday and he moved well, worth a gamble and promoting him but one word of warning - he has missed many weeks of footy and the opposition on Sat against Nth Ballarat was sub-standard - Bloody Jurica was in the first ruck for goodness sake.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
I asked Hutchy this question at the Members Info night.

He told me that a long term injury plays no part in whether we can promote a rookie. As we are short on our list we have the option of promoting a rookie at any time.

Actually, *smile* is not on the long term injury list because we are are short on our list

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Future Tiger Champ said:
I would of thought that McGrath would be in the same boat as Shir! I would love to see them, as well as the youngsters playing out the rest of the season!!!
McGrath would have been in the side playing seniors by now, if he was a good little boy, but he didn't want to toe the line so he is paying for it now.He has to find out the hard way the club is bigger than the individual, and they have their rules for every player in the club to follow.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
shawry said:
Shir played some good games for the Crows, was unlucky they had such a good midfield.

Agree Shawry, I thought he was good for the Crows. He has a couple of things we desperately need.

- he is hard at and runs the lines
- reads the play well
- pretty good skills

Also, he comes from a culture of success and professionalism (Corws). I know a number of our senior players (esp. Cambo & Staffy) were very impressed with his work rate & ethic during the pre-season.