Should Mcgrath be given a go!!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Mcgrath be given a go!!!!

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Since we are struggling for talls especially up forward, why wouldnt you give mcrath(who has proven he can take a good mark and finish)a go!!!! Dont you guys believe he should be given a chance!!!! As much as pettifer and king get????? Or should we keep him for a rainy day as our SPUD THE DUD will do!!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
That depends entirely if he's ready for it yet. I'm sure that's not only Danny's decision, but also the decision of the Coburg coaching staff.
The club has always said he's a long term prospect. Play him when he's ready, and give him a fair chance to settle in when he finally gets selected.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
You gotta give him a chance!!! hes been there for 3 years now so why not bring him in against freo at home!!! The perfect scenario!!! But danny will probably bring him in against the lions at the gabba!!! I also think that if the senior coach decides he wants someone he aint gonna take a no from the ressies staff!!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I say definately give him a go. Watching Coburg last week it seemed to me that he had increased his intensity and hardness at the ball from last year.

People say that he hasn't bulked up enough and he isn't big enough. IMO this is his body type - like Micheal long who didn't rely on his bulk to be a gun.

I was impressed with his fitness and he ran out the game very strongly - as in the last quarter he was running all over the groung and almost got Coburg in a winning position on his own.

I say play him - Danny will say don't play him.

Joel Bowden fan

Joel Bowden a legend of the game hehe
Mar 29, 2003
Tigerland
Marty has 2 build up a little more or he'll just end up getting injured u cant rush the young guys and i think he should get a few good VFL games under his belt and get his confidence up first. Im sure danny and the coaching staff know his progress better than us so we should respect there decision.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
As I said previously, if Jason Cloke was on our list he'd be rotting in the reserves. Frawley is after short term results, dont expect Mcgrath to place at all this year.
What did I tell you, the unimaginative one brought back Vardy. A dud footballer. Frawley must see a bit of himself in Vardy ;D

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
diggler said:
As I said previously, if Jason Cloke was on our list he'd be rotting in the reserves. Frawley is after short term results, dont expect Mcgrath to place at all this year.
What did I tell you, the unimaginative one brought back Vardy. A dud footballer. Frawley must see a bit of himself in Vardy ;D
he,s one of 8 yes i repeat 8 on the interchange.if he does play its because we have no other choice.*smile* is not quite ready.

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
Strike while the iron is hot - therefore I have no doubt McGarath should be in. He at least deserved to be listed, after his Coburg effort.

I have to agree with Frawleydud on this one - the timing of a low-key home game is perfect timing.

Even if he barely gets a touch - McGrath will benefit from the experience.

The whole physical things tripe. Sure he needs to fill out, but he could still be introduced slowly. There's not much difference between him and Krak, but Krak gets a run. Look at Joel Reynolds at Essendon?

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
If Frawley is saying McGath needs filling out, then why does that non achiever King get a game week in, week out?

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I think Marty's off field preseason indiscretion may also have a bit to do with his non selection.

He'll get a game after he strings a couple of good ones in a row for Coburg.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Joel Bowden fan said:
Marty has 2 build up a little more or he'll just end up getting injured u cant rush the young guys and i think he should get a few good VFL games under his belt and get his confidence up first. Im sure danny and the coaching staff know his progress better than us so we should respect there decision.
Could you please explain to me then, how does fiora, king, krakr, get a game?????

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
If Vardy gets a game - even on the bench - then I am convinced frawely has no idea. Vardy was pathetic last week in a reserves game, looked slow, couldn't take a mark, and kept falling over. I don't care if we have no tall forwards, this is no reason to name this dud. Play Schulz instead if this is he's reasoning.

Schulz IMO played much better and played in the forward line. Yes OK he didn't get much of the ball but he had croft on him. However he consistently created a marking option the midfield could kick to, and if he didn't mark he brought the ball to ground. Much, much ,much better display than Vardy.

Frawely really has no excuse now. If his reasoning for playing Vardy is that we don't have a tall forward option, then he should have played Schulz. Look at most other clubs, they throw their first round draft picks in the deep end. Schulz would be the most developed, physically of the lot.

IMO Mcgrath should have played. Agree with diggler. If Frawelys excuse for not playing McGrath is that he is not developed then how does King get a game?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
mongrel_punt said:
the timing of a low-key home game is perfect timing.

Why does that make me nervous. Memories of the Saints and Blues games last year. :-[
Give it all you've got Tiges, there's no room for complacency here.