Should Richmond recruit Lisa Alexander as an assistant? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Richmond recruit Lisa Alexander as an assistant?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Let’s think outside the square.

We did it with Emma Murray to great effect and she is able to clearly communicate with the boys and have their respect.

Could an elite coach like Lisa Alexander help us add that extra bit of difference. I know with reduced soft caps next year, the timing may not be right but it’s worth a thought.

As an assistant she wouldn’t run the show (as she would at lolnorf if she had been successful ) so as an assistant it lets her grow into the position and the industry I reckon.

Typical lolnorf, they should have at least spoken to her, they may have learnt something even if it was a pre interview discussion.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If she's the best qualified person for the job then no worries.

Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Heard it as she made it seem like she was doing #lolnorf a favour by applying, and she was only interested in the senior role, none of this apprenticing and doing any football coaching accreditation for her. Not against us having a female assistant, but she doesn’t sound like she and her ego would be welcome at Punt Rd.

Reactions: 10 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
What is the deal with coaching in the afl at the moment? Do coaches need to do a course and be certified? If so is that for assistants and/or senior coaching positions?

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
What is the deal with coaching in the afl at the moment? Do coaches need to do a course and be certified? If so is that for assistants and/or senior coaching positions?
I was under the impression after the Hird debacle the AFL mandated that anyone who hadn't previously been a senior coach had to have passed a level 4 certificate.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Do you think a Ross Lyons would get a guernsey on the coaching at a OZ netball team ?. I think not.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Let’s think outside the square.

We did it with Emma Murray to great effect and she is able to clearly communicate with the boys and have their respect.

Could an elite coach like Lisa Alexander help us add that extra bit of difference. I know with reduced soft caps next year, the timing may not be right but it’s worth a thought.

As an assistant she wouldn’t run the show (as she would at lolnorf if she had been successful ) so as an assistant it lets her grow into the position and the industry I reckon.

Typical lolnorf, they should have at least spoken to her, they may have learnt something even if it was a pre interview discussion.

Bit full of herself.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I dont get this at all. Seems a bit of grandstanding happening here from her.

"I watch a lot of AFL so I feel well equipped to handle the role." Lol.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
If she's the best qualified person for the job then no worries.
I agree. Although 'best qualified' is very subjective. A person with her kind of experience does bring a truckload of certain kinds of qualifications over and above the usual applicants. I don't know too much about her style, but if she's a great people manager, you might find a coach might feel he has enough strong tacticians to justify this kind of assistant. She might be more of a tactician, of course, and may bring a fresh perspective. Definitely worth an interview IMO.

Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
If you don’t support this woman’s right to live out her dream by becoming the first female AFL coach, then you’re sexist and evil!

Men coach the AFLW teams, so why can’t a woman coach the men’s teams? Sexist, the lot of you!

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
...in all seriousness, the assistant coach role obviously is suited to anyone who can teach and communicate well, and the head coach role is more managerial than in eras past, so it’s not a stretch for any successful non-AFL coach to make the transition.

I just don’t like seeing gender used as a negotiating tool to apply for a job.

Reactions: 1 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Reading between the lines, she is wanting to make the point that to not at least give her a chance in an interview demonstrates a lack of integrity in the interview process.

"I don't expect to get interviewed but I will be disappointed if I am not because I think it's time people understood you don't have to be a horse to ride a horse so to speak."

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
"I watch a lot of AFL so I feel well equipped to handle the role." Lol.
Clearly sees the coach's role as primarily people management.

Tony Lockett once said he didn't respect the opinion of anyone who hadn't played at the top level, and there would be a degree of that at every club. Without a grounding in football tactics, there would be a risk of loss of confidence spreading through the club. In North's position that would be catastrophic.
See what liberal politics does to people? :peepwall

If she's serious she'd be far better advised to serve an apprenticeship as an assistant. The AFL already has a type of affirmative action in place, with Aboriginal and female staff excluded from football department spending caps.

Reactions: 1 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
...in all seriousness, the assistant coach role obviously is suited to anyone who can teach and communicate well, and the head coach role is more managerial than in eras past, so it’s not a stretch for any successful non-AFL coach to make the transition.

I can teach and coach , 4 years of coaching Auskick, 8 years of coaching junior athletics (25 state champions and 3 national champions) 5 years of coaching junior cricket.

I can teach and communicate very well but in no way does it qualify me to coach AFL.

Assistant coaches have to have game skills, game experience and understanding of how the game is played. These skills will have been honed and developed over

decades of immersing yourself in the AFL game.

It is the height of hubris to suggest that because you are an elite coach in another sport to claim that qualifies you to coach in the AFL.

Rick Charlesworth possibly the best Hockey coach ever to have coached women's hockey at international level only joined the Dockers as a high performance consultant

not an assistant coach.

We have just moved on some very good coaches due to financial cuts so to suggest that we now employ some-one else is not the Richmond way.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Rick Charlesworth possibly the best Hockey coach ever to have coached women's hockey at international level only joined the Dockers as a high performance consultant

not an assistant coach.
Fraser Brown's mum Joyce Brown was national netball coach and caused a minor stir in the 90's by suggesting women could coach at AFL level. She did some work with clubs but I think it was motivational rather than actual coaching.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Tony Lockett once said he didn't respect the opinion of anyone who hadn't played at the top level, and there would be a degree of that at every club. Without a grounding in football tactics, there would be a risk of loss of confidence spreading through the club. In North's position that would be catastrophic.
I agree that parachuting someone like Lisa straight into the big chair would be a bridge too far, especially at North who'd be loathe to try anything groundbreaking right now. She'd have to come through the ranks as an assistant IMO.
I also think there'd be less attitudes like Plugger's these days. He played a long time ago. He might have been pretty reticent to try lots of the things our club does these days.
If anyone could benefit, I actually think it might be us. We have a lot of on-field leaders with a good handle on what's happening out there. Our greatest danger at the moment is getting stale or complacent. A totally new voice from a completely different perspective could be just the tonic.