Should Richmond recruit Lisa Alexander as an assistant? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Richmond recruit Lisa Alexander as an assistant?

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I agree. Although 'best qualified' is very subjective. A person with her kind of experience does bring a truckload of certain kinds of qualifications over and above the usual applicants. I don't know too much about her style, but if she's a great people manager, you might find a coach might feel he has enough strong tacticians to justify this kind of assistant. She might be more of a tactician, of course, and may bring a fresh perspective. Definitely worth an interview IMO.
So you are suggesting that we bring Lisa in to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
So you are suggesting that we bring Lisa in to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
The only 'problem' we have is that we're a couple of assistants short. Someone has to get each of those roles and each someone will be hired with a skillset that - theoretically at least - will cover areas that are deemed most important going forward. I don't accept that anticipating these needs is creating a problem that doesn't exist. They'll use this thought process with every candidate.
I'm suggesting that LA might have something to bring to our particular table. There's every chance that she's unsuitable, of course, but I think the pro's column needs attention just as much as the cons. And as a very successful high performance coach she does bring significant pro's that deserve reflection at least. What happens if we give her an interview and she absolutely wows them with a dissection of game footage? What if she's nothing like Ric Charlesworth? What if she's way better than they could have expected? Or what if she's just a good, competent assistant? These are all possibilities, and we won't find out if we dismiss the idea out of hand.
I reckon it would have been pretty easy to fill up Marlion Pickett's cons column last September.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Reading between the lines, she is wanting to make the point that to not at least give her a chance in an interview demonstrates a lack of integrity in the interview process.

"I don't expect to get interviewed but I will be disappointed if I am not because I think it's time people understood you don't have to be a horse to ride a horse so to speak."

The reason for starting this thread was mostly to test this theory - someone of her caliber I would have thought a coffee chat would have been a reasonable approach - not just a bland email saying they were not interested. Not suggesting she deserved an interview (I wouldn’t know) but I think clubs who can think a bit outside the square can get that extra edge - see us with Emma Murray. So I would have thought an hour discussion by lolnorf with her could have given them some insights / perspectives that may help their search process at minimum or identify a structure (like the Charlesworth esample) which she could add value.

She was testing the water which I am glad she did but I am disappointed by the response by that club.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The only 'problem' we have is that we're a couple of assistants short. Someone has to get each of those roles and each someone will be hired with a skillset that - theoretically at least - will cover areas that are deemed most important going forward. I don't accept that anticipating these needs is creating a problem that doesn't exist. They'll use this thought process with every candidate.
I'm suggesting that LA might have something to bring to our particular table. There's every chance that she's unsuitable, of course, but I think the pro's column needs attention just as much as the cons. And as a very successful high performance coach she does bring significant pro's that deserve reflection at least. What happens if we give her an interview and she absolutely wows them with a dissection of game footage? What if she's nothing like Ric Charlesworth? What if she's way better than they could have expected? Or what if she's just a good, competent assistant? These are all possibilities, and we won't find out if we dismiss the idea out of hand.
I reckon it would have been pretty easy to fill up Marlion Pickett's cons column last September.
The whole thing with LA is that she was quite clear that she doesn’t want an assistant’s role. It’s the senior job at an AFL team she wants, she also didn’t want to coach an AFLW team. If a team wants a female coach then there are better qualified people, who have relevant experience, than Alexander available.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
She is a national netball coach and that means a national coach of a very successful elite team.

She is not from football.

So where does this place her, in a realistic assessment?

Well she could certainly bring in some new ideas, strategies and tactics but the lack of Australian Rules Football experience would lead me to think she would be best placed to start as an assistant coach, senior coach is way too much of a stretch without some Australian Rules background. Mind you, plaudits for trying, I'm sure she enjoyed the circus that followed.

But, as an assistant, she could be very interesting. Maybe with a some years as an assistant she could contend for a top job but not without that experience.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
She is a national netball coach and that means a national coach of a very successful elite team.

She is not from football.

So where does this place her, in a realistic assessment?

Well she could certainly bring in some new ideas, strategies and tactics but the lack of Australian Rules Football experience would lead me to think she would be best placed to start as an assistant coach, senior coach is way too much of a stretch without some Australian Rules background. Mind you, plaudits for trying, I'm sure she enjoyed the circus that followed.

But, as an assistant, she could be very interesting. Maybe with a some years as an assistant she could contend for a top job but not without that experience.

DS
Let’s compare her to Rhyce Shaw, the person she wanted to replace. He’d played in excess of 200 games, including a Premiership, was an assistant for over 4 years, and win the NEAFL coach of the year. He was unable to handle being North’s senior coach with that background and experience. How would Alexander hope to do better?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Not unless she is going to facilitate Dusty knocking up each and every one of her former players

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I dont get this at all. Seems a bit of grandstanding happening here from her.

"I watch a lot of AFL so I feel well equipped to handle the role." Lol.
On those grounds every poster on here should get an interview before her.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Look what happened last time we appointed a woman for a man’s job.

still I say no.
If North thought it was a winner then you know it’s a terrible idea.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Nah. The preening ignorance and arrogance she displayed during her interview on SEN wouldn't jive with our current setup.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Doing some digging, she turns 57 this month. No coach has won a first flag later than Pagan (49).

She's outta time. Stunt.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Heard it as she made it seem like she was doing #lolnorf a favour by applying, and she was only interested in the senior role, none of this apprenticing and doing any football coaching accreditation for her. Not against us having a female assistant, but she doesn’t sound like she and her ego would be welcome at Punt Rd.
Heard the interview.
Have to be prepared even if you think you are way qualified to start at a lower level, assistant , AFLW, Reserves coach , etc..

If anyone is interested I will post the link and you can make up your own minds.
Don’t wait to say much more.

Last edited:

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I've heard her speak in-depth about her coaching philosophy...seriously unimpressive. Her results running the Diamonds...as odds on favourites in a two horse race they kept coming in second in recent years - hence her need for a new coaching gig.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I’m convinced she’s a feminist taking the *smile*. Apparently she used to watch lots of football and knows about netball tactics so considers herself qualified.

And she’s TOO qualified for AFLW...!!!

What a *smile* joke she is

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Have heard Lisa many times on SEN over the years. A very knowledgeable athlete, coach and sports leader.
I think her application and subsequent appearance in the media to talk herself up is a publicity stunt of sorts or trying to let the sporting world know she is ready to go for any new roles.
this is accused of being old school thinking but if you haven’t played a sport at a decent level you won’t be able to coach it at the elite level. There would be a lack of respect immediately that could never be overcome. Would be like Dimma coaching the Aus netball team. That said in a footy dept leadership/culture/development role she would be perfect.