Should same sex couples in AFLW be promoted as news? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should same sex couples in AFLW be promoted as news?

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Yes I am old-fashioned but I don't like Fox online promoting Watson and Prespakis as a same sex AFLW couple. Apparently this is news-worthy but we don't openly hear about any same sex couples among the AFL players. I'd prefer these couples to keep their friendships to themselves and not have it put on public display.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Award for the stupidest ever thing to complain about goes to....

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I don’t like it when the banana I bought on Tuesday goes off by Wednesday and turns mushy .... but ive learnt to deal with the reality of the situation and buy more green ones that last longer ... now you all know too.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yes I am old-fashioned but I don't like Fox online promoting Watson and Prespakis as a same sex AFLW couple. Apparently this is news-worthy but we don't openly hear about any same sex couples among the AFL players. I'd prefer these couples to keep their friendships to themselves and not have it put on public display.

Agree. they shouldnt promote siblings playing against each other either. they should keep those relationships private.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i think the openness of gay AFLW players will help end the social stigma of gay players in the AFL, meaning they won’t need to keep it in the closest if they don’t wish to.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If the couples being made news are Ok, im Ok.

But as we become a more tolerant society,

the way in which a person decides to harmlessly mingle their genitals really should not be news.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
If the couples being made news are Ok, im Ok.

But as we become a more tolerant society,

the way in which a person decides to harmlessly mingle their genitals really should not be news.
Indeed, but I think the point here is that they're both AFLW players. If for instance Dusty and Cotch hooked up (and let's face it, it's not entirely out of the question) it would be the kind of news that gets it's own show on Fox Footy. So the newsworthiness is in the uniqueness of the situation not strictly that they're gay.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd rather read about a same-sex couples rather than Jimmy and Nadia

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon the media is simply manipulating the system, waiting for the big money news breaker of a male AFL player leaping out of the closet.
Media's been steadily pushing since Erin Phillips n her partner went the public pash n then Mo Hope n her partner. They keep pumping up the same sex scenario regarding the women while drooling over the probability of a male outing himself. Nothing to do with accepting that it simply exists, all about the chance to pump up the hype n " knock down the wall ".

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
My Daughter's friend was a trainer at a woman football club and observed that about 80% of the players were lesbian so it would stand to reason that some were couples.

In the mens football maybe and that is a big maybe you may have one or two gay players at a club so the odds of getting a gay couple at a club would be very slim.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
To be fair to the media there is at least one player at a Melbourne club who is known to be gay.

The player in question does not hide his sexuality but choses to be discrete and out of the public eye and to date no-one has intruded on that.
And you know what BR, this bloke is more news worthy than a couple of loved up sheilas. Maybe none of it is news worthy, but every news outlet needs an earn.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
A bloke at work coaches a women's team and 22 of the 30 are lesbians. Some are in relationships with teammates, some with opponents, some are exes of others. Part and parcel of women's footy and has traditionally been a turn-off for potential sponsors of women's sport.