Should we stick with the new song? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should we stick with the new song?

Should we stick with the new song?

• Total voters

PurpleSneakers

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 9, 2007
New song is rubbish, bad singing, weak music, tempo too fast, drums too loud, electric bass instead an upright, weak brass.
But it says "shin" instead of "skin" so whoopee!
Got this one wrong Benny.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
i heard it twice last night. Center wing at the G and then the replay at home. Live its is terrible, just terrible. On TV, the difference is not as noticeable. I hope the members get a say at some stage. Keep or revert. No one peep peep from Benny and co on this and that's disappointing. Surely its not the minority that are just making this noise.? Many have shown we can have the same song and fix the one word. For me, as I have written elsewhere, we had a Ferrari and to fix a stone chip we stripped back all the paint to fix it and its never look the same since!

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I wish there was something we could do about it, because I feel like this will just end up being forgotten, and we will have lost a really great part of our club.

In the end, players, coaches, boards, all come and go. The jumper, the colours, and the song are pretty much the only constants. Ours was the best, and now it's meh.

Nothing about this club should ever be meh.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Coburgtiger said:
I wish there was something we could do about it, because I feel like this will just end up being forgotten, and we will have lost a really great part of our club.

In the end, players, coaches, boards, all come and go. The jumper, the colours, and the song are pretty much the only constants. Ours was the best, and now it's meh.

Nothing about this club should ever be meh.

Jumper and colours have had plenty of changes over the years.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Tiger Pops said:
i heard it twice last night. Center wing at the G and then the replay at home. Live its is terrible, just terrible. On TV, the difference is not as noticeable. I hope the members get a say at some stage. Keep or revert. Not one peep from Benny and co on this and that's disappointing. Surely its not the minority that are just making this noise.? Many have shown we can have the same song and fix the one word. For me, as I have written elsewhere, we had a Ferrari and to fix a stone chip we stripped back all the paint to fix it and its never look the same since!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not massively offended by it, but that's not the point. the point is that the club should have put it to a members vote.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
I'm not massively offended by it, but that's not the point. the point is that the club should have put it to a members vote.

Why? We don’t vote on colour, jumper or emblem changes.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Baloo said:

Because we participate in it when we sing it at the start and (hopefully) end of games. None of us here (I think) run out in the jumper.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
RoarEmotion said:
Because we participate in it when we sing it at the start and (hopefully) end of games. None of us here (I think) run out in the jumper.

We buy plenty of merchandise and every time they change the jumper it’s costs us money.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Baloo said:
We buy plenty of merchandise and every time they change the jumper it’s costs us money.

Don’t buy the logic. I still wear my vfl scarf. I have a choice what I wear and purchase. I don’t have a choice what songs gets played over the loudspeakers.

Where would you draw the line at what’s changeable on the song?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
RoarEmotion said:
Don’t buy the logic. I still wear my vfl scarf. I have a choice what I wear and purchase. I don’t have a choice what songs gets played over the loudspeakers.

Where would you draw the line at what’s changeable on the song?

Logic is quite simple. Changing the jumper has a greater material affect on many supporters than slightly modifying the song.

Neither requires a members vote as far as I am concerned. As members we vote in the committee to make decisions like these.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I don't understand the angst about "the song" as such.

The words of song are now (finally) as written by Jack Malcolmson.
For years the version by The Fable Singers was incorrect " risking head & skin" when it should have been "risking head & shin".
Therefore the song is now as it should have been for all those years.

Whether you like the current rendition is another matter.
Personally I it doesn't worry me when I'm at the game because I'm too busy enjoying the win & singing with the rest of the crowd.

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
The new one just needs to be tweaked a little bit.

The words are fine its the beat or something, its missing that punch it used to have.

Like:
Oh were from Tigerland
after this bit it needs a drum beat or something for a bit more oomph

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Why reinvent the wheel? The old song was perfect. It was the best in the league. Now it's not.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:

the clash jumper was voted on many years ago, but then changed without our consultation (now loved after 2017). the last change in emblem didn't go down very well if I recall. the change of song has not gone down well at all. The change to a brighter yellow went down well because it was universally accepted that the old yellow was more an orange/amber.

You can mount an argument that the board is there to make these decision on behalf of the members, but - as you know - I am of the opinion the board is not a true representation of the rank and file.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
I am of the opinion the board is not a true representation of the rank and file.

and thank *smile* for that. If it was up to the rank and file Dimma and Peggy would have been run out of the club and we'd all be sitting here without winning the premiership none the wiser. As supporters and members we are too emotionally invested to make tough decisions. Look at Pies and Eddie. He did well to bring them back from heavy debt but it's his emotion that drove Malthouse out and installed Buckley. I reckon that decision cost them at least one Premiership.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I've heard versions of the Fable singers version where 'skin' was seamlessly changed to 'shin'. Its a simple thing to do & would have kept everyone happy. I hope that the club has the common sense to do this at season's end.