Sin bin/send off? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sin bin/send off?

Is it time for a send off rule in Aussie Rules? (poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Get this implemented and then there'll be grey debates and bending the rules all over it. Forget it.

1679367090131.png

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
It's time, but can we wait until Marlion retires? Poor bugger would be crucified by the flogs :cool:

Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
after the Prestia incident last year, i don't know how any richmond supporter could vote no.

Reactions: 6 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I think there should be a send off rule or card system, but can’t trust the AFL or the umpires to get it right.
Remember, Vlossy didn’t even get a free kick when Diverfield knocked him out. How can they miss that and be expected to issue send offs appropriately?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
In principle yes. In practice I have no faith in the AFL to systematically and consistently apply any rule, good, bad, high stakes or low, so until that changes, no.

Reactions: 16 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yes, bring it in. Use the ARC to review and make it as clear cut as possible.

There's a few ways it can happen.
1. ARC/Umpires decide on time in bin or a send off (prone to issues and inconsistency across games).
2. Offending player remains off the field for the game if the player he hits is out for the game was well (think Prestia & Stewart).

I'd prefer #2, though that could be open to abuse with the 1 coach deliberately keeping a player off if to keep the opposition one short.

Dunno, but there definitely needs to be an instant team penalty if a deliberate illegal action weakens the opposition for the rest of the match

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not sure about a send off rule, definitely ok with a sin bin.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Yes, bring it in. Use the ARC to review and make it as clear cut as possible.
Nek minut...

1679369438582.png
ARC: From the image you can clearly see Tom Lynch raise an elbow into the face of the Geelong player. 10 minute sin bin, on report, straight to the Supreme Court of Australia, recommended penalty "life in prison".

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 14 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
First let the AFL get the rules cleared up because I have nfi...

Every incident is open to interpretation and trying to define what constitutes a send-off or sin bin is a minefield.

I can't trust the AFL to get this right.

Reactions: 10 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
after the Prestia incident last year, i don't know how any richmond supporter could vote no.

Because our experience tells us that Stewart would not have been sent off. They would have come up with some excuse.

They didn't even cite Dangerfield for knocking Vlastuin out and, whether you think that was an in play incident or something more blameworthy, the rules clearly, unequivocally and unambiguously state that the incident should have been cited and sent to the tribunal for assessment.

I voted no because I know this would be selectively applied and they would make it up as they go despite whatever the rule states.

DS

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
In principle yes. In practice I have no faith in the AFL to systematically and consistently apply any rule, good, bad, high stakes or low, so until that changes, no.

So this. But I think it will happen next year. Pendles is floating an AFL kite. The AFL will continue to push the idea in the media.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I don’t disagree with it for things like concussion.Stewart definitely should have sat out the rest of our game against the Cats last year, but what do you do when you get a Kosi Pickett incident? Clearly infringed, but because Smith didn’t even do a concussion test and kept playing, how can you send him off?

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
It would be a good idea if the framework was simple to adjudicate, and wasn’t full of gradations and grey areas that included umpires making decisions on intent or based on the outcome.

Otherwise it will just be the latest edition of ‘the umpire chooses when, how or if law X is applied’.

And somehow a player leaving the ground and cannonballing into their opponent without even trying to tackle is deemed ‘ok’, because it’s a ‘fast game’, or the umpire decides ‘they didn’t have enough tine to make the right decision’, or they ‘didn’t see it’ or whatever bs they will apply to not adjudicate the bloody obvious.

I wouldn’t trust the AFL to get me a coffee.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I don’t disagree with it for things like concussion.Stewart definitely should have sat out the rest of our game against the Cats last year, but what do you do when you get a Kosi Pickett incident? Clearly infringed, but because Smith didn’t even do a concussion test and kept playing, how can you send him off?
For the Kosi incident I'd look at a 10min Sin Bin

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

X2.

The ARC cant coherently or consistently describe how or why a camera angle shows a ball hitting a post,

Imagine what it'd do to an elbow hitting a nose?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
What next?
Full protection outfits just like the American footballers?

• Haha