Sir Prince Philip | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sir Prince Philip

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Wot, nothing for Prince Andrew?

Well it is an old concept so not really his preference but then again it is a new young beginning maybe to young just yet

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
rosy23 said:
No surprises at the decision.
I disagree Rosy. It surprised me because I thought even Tony Abbott wasn't this stupid, naive and completely out of touch with the country. Seems I was wrong.
:eek:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
everyone is accusing abbott of being out of touch, but i reckon it goes far beyond that. he's not even in the same stratosphere as the rest of us. even the murdoch media disagree with him, which says a lot.

MB78 said:
What are the odds of Tony knighting John Howard next year?

i think its close to a certainty that this happens before he gets kicked out of offfice. infact, the cynic in me wouldn't put it past him to knight himself.

Sintiger said:
It surprised me because I thought even Tony Abbott wasn't this stupid, naive and completely out of touch with the country. Seems I was wrong.
:eek:

i was gonna ask "how could you not see that?" then i remembered that we actually voted him in ::)

Baloo said:
I'm shocked Rupert Murdoch wasn't given a knighthood

not sure how this knighthood system works, but as he's an american, i would assume he's not eligible?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Philip is Greek/English

Quick Google and it seems like yanks can be knighted.

Mr Bloomberg will not be able to style himself "Sir Mike" because he is not a British citizen.
If he chooses, however, he can add the letters KBE to the end of his name to signify his membership as an honorary knight of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ian4 said:
i was gonna ask "how could you not see that?" then i remembered that we actually voted him in ::)

There is no rosy in "we" when it comes to voting Abbott in. Interesting his staunchest supporters are very quiet about him these days.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
must have been as Patron of the Australian Carriage Driving Society that got Sir Prince over the line...

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/doubts-over-tony-abbotts-justification-for-prince-philip-knighthood-20150127-12yzc2.html

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
rosy23 said:
Interesting his staunchest supporters are very quiet about him these days.

Murdoch not exactly quiet..some electronic graffiti from him on Twitter today..

Rupert Murdoch
@sprocket___ Abbott knighthood a joke and embarrassment.

12:32 PM - 27 Jan 2015

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I have a theory that when the Libs voted Tony leader, they thought they had no chance of winning the next election. So, knowing that one's political career is pretty much over once one loses an election, rather than crucify the next-great-hope (whoever that might have been), they voted in Tony to take that loss (kind of like tanking if you will). But then the ALP went bananas being unable to decide who should be PM, and so Tony found himself in charge of the whole shooting match.

Sounds outrageous I know but it beggars belief that the Liberal Party voted him as leader in the first place. Even before he became PM, you could see he was as absolute clown.

And this is coming from someone who (although I haven't voted in an Aussie election for well over 20 years), would probably have called himself a conservative voter back then.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
I think you are all being harsh.
Prince Phil deserves the Knighthood.
So does James Hird and Rolf Harris. Their turn next year I guess.
Why can't you all see logic?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
23.21.159 said:
I have a theory that when the Libs voted Tony leader, they thought they had no chance of winning the next election. So, knowing that one's political career is pretty much over once one loses an election, rather than crucify the next-great-hope (whoever that might have been), they voted in Tony to take that loss (kind of like tanking if you will). But then the ALP went bananas being unable to decide who should be PM, and so Tony found himself in charge of the whole shooting match.

Sounds outrageous I know but it beggars belief that the Liberal Party voted him as leader in the first place. Even before he became PM, you could see he was as absolute clown.

And this is coming from someone who (although I haven't voted in an Aussie election for well over 20 years), would probably have called himself a conservative voter back then.

There's so much irony in his installation of leader of the LNP, firstly Peter Slipper tipped the scales in his favour ahead of Turnbull, Slipper then quietly slips away from the LNP and gives the ALP the numbers required to exercise executive powers. Roll on three years and Tony wins the election with rampant negativity (probably a suitable tactic at the time) but then expects the opposition to ditch the negativity in favour of a more pragmatic approach. He also expects the electorate to just excuse his litany of lies and jump aboard the Abbott Delorean and revisit the 1950's, a place where rich white males call the shots and women strike when the iron is hot. Let's not forget to mention Abbott's deep distrust of all things scientific, this is perhaps the most disturbing aspect of his leadership. I honestly cannot recall a PM so intent on dumbing down the political process, this also extends to his bizarre reliance on Peta Credlin, an unelected individual who seems to have inherited extraordinary powers.

Tone is toast, it just becomes a question of whether the axe will fall this year or next. The later it happens the more internal damage will be done, this is self destruction at it's tragic best.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Malcolm or Julie. That's the question.

Joe ruined his chances while bumblibng along as Treasurer. Cigars, dancing to Best Day of my Life, claiming poor people to poor to own cars, equating doctor fess to a pack of smokes. Showed him as out of touch.

Ideally M or J can get in and trurn the government around so that the opposition also has to start performaing to stand a chance. At the moment they are cruising and trying to stay a small target.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Malcolm & Julie can swing this but Tone must be moved on within six months.

Otherwise Bill Shorten wiil be in the lodge after one Tone term. And that's scary. The ALP haven't done anything outstanding in opposition bar point out how bad the Goverment is.

Never seen a PM more out of touch with his electroate than Tones Abs. Embarrassing "electronic graffiti" comment.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
he is a smart cookie, Abbot.
he is thought to want to take Australia back to the 50s, so to counter he reintroduces titles to peoples names.
some dont like this, so to counter he gives those titles to an old royal who is prone to saying sexist, racist and just plain stupid things.

very smart.

almost as smart as his counter to claims he is sexist, by appointing 1 woman to his cabinet.