Slice and Dice cuts 'em up, or too Handball Happy? Our current game style | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Slice and Dice cuts 'em up, or too Handball Happy? Our current game style

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So it's been an interesting few weeks - clearly Dimma and the crew have said to the gang we back your skills and run so run it out and handball like hell. Sure, it's high risk but teams are not coping with it so go for it.

I'm liking it, but we've seen in all three recent wins that there have been periods where teams have got on top or at least broke even with us on this. GC are a joke right now but played ok after halftime against us, an injury stricken GWS pushed us at times and even the flakey Power had us worried with pressure and their own version of high risk handball and down the corridor stuff today. So far we've been good enough to keep winning handsomely with this style but will it work for the rest of the season?

I reckon we might try it against the Pies if they get flogged today - it's good for a down on confidence opponent. Will it hold up in finals? I'm thinking if this is plan for finals then maybe we've shown our cards too early? Maybe good for a flick-the-switch quarter here and there, but not for a whole game.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
it is pretty razor edge.

it can look devastating and too cute/season destroying in the one play.

im a bit of an all or nothing bloke, so I like it.

But think it could either win us a flag or get us obliterated in a prelim through a relentless pressing pressure opponent

and wouldn't argue with anyone who hates it.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Slice n dice is fine if your disposal is clean and accurate.

Today it was quite sloppy and caused us some trouble.

It's funny, our previous game style forced other teams into this style and we preyed on it.

Still time to hone the skill but I currently have some doubts

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Slice and dice is fine. Frustrating when it looks like one or two too many handballs but great to watch

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
I am sure this new style is a deliberate plan to resolve the problem from last year where sides managed to
counter our game style with marking in the back fifty followed up with possession kick and mark until inside their forward fifty.
Pies beat us twice this way and so did Eagles.
It is clear we have to do something else.
What we have found is our speed can open up other teams defence and the big plus is that by not bombing down the line
and into the forward fifty the opposition talls cannot dominate us and it opens up JR and Lynch to one on one marking
contests which they will usually win. This happened today.They had ten shots on goal as a result.
They only key is the need for cool heads and faultless disposal. It happen ed some of the time today but needs to be most
of the time. KMac is a liability with this plan. So too Canstagna. Bolton and Stack are perfect.
All credit to the coaching staff who have identified the issue and have come up with a solution.
We looked a little vulnerable to a turnover through the middle. That needs addressing.
I love the initiative . We can beat the top four if we get this right.
Makes Jack and Lynch huge.

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
2017 we were also wondering if we were over handballing. Lamenting players who should have taken a shot or held onto it but instead handballed. We're getting the band back together. We're also bringing our A Game back. Let the over handballing happen so the guys learn when to handball vs keep it. Come September I reckon we'll be purring like a Ferrari Enzo does at the lights.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
With the ball we are just a shade off playing to a plan.

Without the ball we are miles off and lack a plan.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
With the ball we are just a shade off playing to a plan.

Without the ball we are miles off and lack a plan.

no one has kicked more than 10 goals against us since the bye. we must be doing something right without the ball.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I don’t mind the “slice and dice” with handball I’m just concerned why SO MANY of them are missing the target or are bullet handballs from a metre away or are at team mates feet or over their head etc.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I watched Essendon's first half last night and thought: no way that kamikaze style will stand up in finals.

It was electric to watch today but so often comes unstuck. We have some genuine tall forwards to kick to, and need to go that option more than we did today. With a bit of razzle dazzle to keep em guessing.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I don’t mind the “slice and dice” with handball I’m just concerned why SO MANY of them are missing the target or are bullet handballs from a metre away or are at team mates feet or over their head etc.

Seeing Titch muck up a couple in the first half told me that it was a forced thing rather than something that comes naturally
Maybe it’s a matter of working through until it becomes more natural
Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Dal Santo said at one point we’d gained over 900 metres during the game with handball. The league average is 140 I think. We’re changing the game again and *smile* with the opposition’s heads.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dal Santo said at one point we’d gained over 900 metres during the game with handball. The league average is 140 I think. We’re changing the game again and ******* with the opposition’s heads.

Was that the one Ellis got caught? Or Cotchin?
Bolton was on the end of a run of handballs, but his kick dropped short into the goal square.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
We have 5 more games to refine the new plan.

Our previous game plan relied on moving it forward at all costs which took everyone by surprise. This plan relies on a similar philosophy except it’s more controlled.

This style works well against slow teams or those who zone well, not sure it will be as effective in finals which are more one on one contests across the ground.

Reckon if it works against teams like the pies and weagles we might see it get switched on at times during the finals.

But with our new twin towers in attack, surely we run it out of defence then kick it long.