Slice and Dice cuts 'em up, or too Handball Happy? Our current game style | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Slice and Dice cuts 'em up, or too Handball Happy? Our current game style

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Liking it a lot, no other top team is really playing this way. Just gotta tidy it up a touch & we'll be awesome when we do.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
We have once again looked deeply through our roster and are hatching a plan that suits.

The addition of Stack and Bolton adds to the likes of Rioli and Reiwoldt who at times see the game as if it was being played in slo-mo.

It was a joy watching Adelaide arguing onfield on Friday Night and Port shouting at each other at halftime. It is a stark contrast to our calm, focussed and almost 'too chirpy' demeanor.

Caracella and his cronies are geniuses.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Dal Santo said at one point we’d gained over 900 metres during the game with handball. The league average is 140 I think. We’re changing the game again and ******* with the opposition’s heads.

SHocking into office early today figuring out a new rule to limit handball metres gained.
Has called in his competition rules review panel made up of industry luminaries C.Scott, P.Dangerfield, M.Blight and G.Whateley.
Has requested that M.Christian review Richmond's current game style to see if it's contravention of the rules he put in place to thwart them this season.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I also think Cotchin sets the tone off field just as much as on.

His whole approach to footy and life rubs off on the whole club.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
B

Bill James

Let’s see how it goes next week. Coll were the first to pick off Rich fwd handball game. Remember it’s not new Rich lead the AFL in fwd handball m last year.

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Great thread was thinking about this myself.
I am enjoying this game style and it is devastatingly effective but I think there are two issues that need addressing to convince me that it will stand up in the heat of the finals.
1. Execution - a few of our players handball forward without enough care and dont hit their mark. Titch a few times yesterday, Castagna is a frequent offender. That handball at the feet or one that gets a bad bounce gives the opposition time to tackle and disrupt the flow.
2. Over use - I would like to see the player that eventually gets free of the opposition run and carry (even bounce) and hit up Lynch, Reiwoldt. Its almost impossible to lead as a forward if we try to 'run goals in' with handball. We have real weapons with the two of them (name one other team with two A graders like us (maybe JJK and Darling - but I would take ours by miles). So we need to bring them into the game. Lynch's last two games have been his best and Jack will get better every week. I expect they will kick 6+ every week between them if we get this right. There was a passage yesterday when Ellis bounced and hit Lynch - looked pretty hard for the opposition to stop

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We have once again looked deeply through our roster and are hatching a plan that suits.

I hope the plan involves giving shorty about 9 rostered days off.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
It's a new twist on the get ball forward at any cost. But this is calculated. Taken from soccer and basketball. Triangle passing, having two options to pass to. A little bit rope a dope.
Once they clear the road blocks, other players have run forward and the field opens up. Keeps drawing opposition players forward out of position.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Always good to have a plan b , well it might be plan a now , but makes us less predictable! Whatever method works in getting it down to Tom or Jack is fine with me

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

The addition of Stack and Bolton adds to the likes of Rioli and Reiwoldt who at times see the game as if it was being played in slo-mo.

It was a joy watching Adelaide arguing onfield on Friday Night and Port shouting at each other at halftime. It is a stark contrast to our calm, focussed and almost 'too chirpy' demeanor.

Caracella and his cronies are geniuses.

Watching the replay, Fox did the 1/2 time review in our rooms and Nick Riewoldt made a point of saying how calm it was..
Noticed Dusty in a brief discussion with maybe Emma Murray? I then saw her talking with Kmac and so if it was her she'd be earning her coin doing psychoanalysis there I reckon

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don’t mind the “slice and dice” with handball I’m just concerned why SO MANY of them are missing the target or are bullet handballs from a metre away or are at team mates feet or over their head etc.

Exactly. The gameplan is exciting. The execution yesterday was appalling. The scoreboard flattered us massively.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Watching the replay, Fox did the 1/2 time review in our rooms and Nick Riewoldt made a point of saying how calm it was..
Noticed Dusty in a brief discussion with maybe Emma Murray? I then saw her talking with Kmac and so if it was her she'd be earning her coin doing psychoanalysis there I reckon

Probably inquiring about having KMac build her one of his specialty concrete tables

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Little bit ( maybe a lot ) frustrating watching us over using the hot handball in heavy traffic, but for the moment it's working o.k. n we're winning games. Should have it pretty much perfected by the time high pressure heavy contested finals roll around where quality slice n dice will be invaluable. Will also be difficult for other sides to adjust their game plans to counter or copy this late in the year.
Been thinking about it this morn n we're not really re inventing the game in any way, just borrowing a little of what's been done by a premium side not that long ago. Pretty sure those Moggies were using a very similar game style where they'd use a ton of slice n dice n run n carry handball during their three flag era.
High paced, controlled, frenetic ball movement by them sure tore some holes in Clarko's cluster n Poosy's rolling stoppages.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think we find out a lot next week ,

We are playing the team that burst our bubble,

So if this is the new tweaking to counter that, we get a first hand look at it

Last edited:

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I might be alone but I never really thought we had a handle on the gamestyle yesterday. It was kind of another brand of rolling chaos, many missed handballs, ones at the feet, hospital balls etc. When it worked it looked great but I felt uneasy watching it. Ports pressure was good at times though.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Good to hear say "we have to" fix this handballing this Friday against the Scum.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Havent quite got the connection on the spread right but it is 6 games out and we appear to be running into the finals at the right time. Nank back this week and then the spectre of Rance looms. This is going to be fun.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
It got a bit ridiculous at times yesterday. And I have never seen a forward tall "present" for a handball. The crazy runners have to have the nous to know when to stop the handball chain and look for Jack, George or Tom.
But we don't have the elite kickers all over the ground to move it forward with precision (short) kicking.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Exactly. The gameplan is exciting. The execution yesterday was appalling. The scoreboard flattered us massively.
Agree and disagree. Execution at times was poor and it is encouraging that we can improve in this area. Scoreboard flattered them, not us. We wasted a lot of chances particularly in the 2nd half, it could have and should have been 60 points +.