Slice and Dice cuts 'em up, or too Handball Happy? Our current game style | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Slice and Dice cuts 'em up, or too Handball Happy? Our current game style

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It got a bit ridiculous at times yesterday. And I have never seen a forward tall "present" for a handball. The crazy runners have to have the nous to know when to stop the handball chain and look for Jack, George or Tom.
But we don't have the elite kickers all over the ground to move it forward with precision (short) kicking.

Key forwards and Dusty were at times screaming deliriously for it to be kicked long to one on ones. Once forward of centre players need to default more to what's a kicking option ahead of them rather than going for the extra handball. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Seems like sometimes we do not even know where the ball is going.

This also makes it impossible for the opposition to stop.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Love it. We are creating so many opportunities with the way we move the ball. Most teams can't create a sniff.

There are so many, only need a small percentage to his the scoreboard. Just take the good with the bad.

94 is our lowest score since the bye don't forget.

Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
To add - It perfectly suits the players we have at our disposal.

Elite power runners like George and Lablett for a start would regress in a more staid gameplan.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Most teams have structured to intercept mark an opposition forward kick. Slice n dice is a good counter to it.
It such an improvement on the bomb it long approach we had for the first 10 rounds.

Still needs improvement and to be refined.
it must be frustrating for the forwards.
and they are over doing it at the moment, sometimes with poor disposal.
But we are ahead of the curve.
Need to mix it up with the other gamestyles. Do we kick long down the line, switch and run, chip chip chip or slice and dice? Other clubs wont know how to defend

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Most teams have structured to intercept mark an opposition forward kick. Slice n dice is a good counter to it.

correct. This game plan will help us beat a side like the Eagles with their McGovern threat. What's more, Jack and Lynch still kicked 6 between them and it should have been more.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Thought it worked well first quarter, looked a bi cute in the second and we adjusted a bit after halftime.

Its a very good tactic to control the ball early. Also I think it is a reaction to losing Rance.

You can play down the lnes and set up behind the ball with confidence when you have the best defence in the league by far. Rance, Grimes, Astbury and Flossy intercepting. Ain't none better . With Rance out we are a very good but not great defence.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Fast movement chaos like footy out of the backline, might also play into the special skills of Balta and Chole, each with superb pace and disposal.
Posters my self included, have previously spoken about each playing a role on a wing.
We also generally acknowledge that Nank is not the best tap ruckman going around and that with Jack and Lynch up forward that a fast kick into the forward line will best exploit the advantage they provide.
Pulling all this altogether and allowing for as much support as possible for Nank, I wonder if we could consider a team with Balta on one wing and Cholly on the other ?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
To add - It perfectly suits the players we have at our disposal.

Elite power runners like George and Lablett for a start would regress in a more staid gameplan.
Correct Leysey.

Those saying execution was poor are missing the point. It is the intention that is important, not the execution. We won a flag with high intensity chaos. It's when we slow things down that we are in trouble. Late last year we lost our way coz the high speed intensity wasn't there.

Caracella is a smart operator and as leysey pointed out we have players who thrive when the ball is bouncing around all over the place, especially in our front half.