Smaller list sizes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Smaller list sizes

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

A mass delisting of quality players would be a horrible thing to do - these players have committed their whole lives to try and make it in the AFL. We can't let the cut in cost take that from them, it would be a Mental Health disaster

Not sure why this is any more important to footy players than say 200 acedemics delisted from RMIT yesterday.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder what the AFL's bottom line is looking like, it's got to be better now than it was when the season got suspended. The allowable crowd numbers are known, there are no more hubs so the AFL should be able to forecast their revenue for the remainder of the season.
As others are saying, next years list sizes should be announced, I can't see a reason for the delay.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Agree. I know they are negotiating with the Players Association. I'm sure the PA will be pushing hard to keep numbers and salary cap.

What's not clear is whether Covid will be sorted sufficiently to be able to attend matches in Melbourne by next season. I expect we will but possibly with some restricted numbers.

So if, other than reduced crowds, we are back to normal, why do we need to reduce list sizes? Has the AFL lost so much money this year that they are looking to recoup some of those funds? We know that they have wasted many millions of $ and have nothing in reserve.
a lot of the people and companies that usually have cash to splash will probably not have so much next year and for the near future, i expect sponsorship and corporate spending will drop quite a bit.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
rookie upgrades, such as Baker, count as a draft pick. unless we trade a few out i could see us bringing in just 1 or 2 newbies this off season.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The AFL and clubs can't legally change their existing obligations to already contracted players, unless those players agree. Tigers in a relatively strong position because most of our players are already contracted for 2021. (Broad, Collier-Dawkins, English, Graham, Miller, Nankervis and Turner and others? are not in this group).
Because of these constraints the changes to list numbers and TPP may turn out to be minimal.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
rookie upgrades, such as Baker, count as a draft pick. unless we trade a few out i could see us bringing in just 1 or 2 newbies this off season.
Does this mean if there is 3 compulsory picks those can be possibly be used exclusively for rookie elevations?

Reactions: 1 user

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Agree. I know they are negotiating with the Players Association. I'm sure the PA will be pushing hard to keep numbers and salary cap.

What's not clear is whether Covid will be sorted sufficiently to be able to attend matches in Melbourne by next season. I expect we will but possibly with some restricted numbers.

So if, other than reduced crowds, we are back to normal, why do we need to reduce list sizes? Has the AFL lost so much money this year that they are looking to recoup some of those funds? We know that they have wasted many millions of $ and have nothing in reserve.
'

Its really hard to say. It feels like the issue is on the mend, but worldwide - 2 days ago was the worst day for new cases on record. The other big problem they might have is - who will be able to afford to actually go? I am becoming more and more concerned at the economy outlook. Unemployment figures are extremely misrepresented with all JKP participants not included in those numbers & effectively if your company has not recalled you yet - you are extremely unlikely to ever be returned into the business. Every business is using the situation to re-structure in a way that makes them way less "people" orientated. A family attending AFL games together will become a rich mans game. Its frightening to think where all the new jobs will be to replace this, the govt has barely said boo about where the new industry will be to help find homes for the millions of displaced that are about to be cut off the IV-drip which is Jobseeker/Jobkeeper. Unless something changes dramatically before March, we are heading towards a economic and social collapse of the likes we have never seen before.

In all honesty the list of the AFL teams is the least of our problems, but it will be another fallout victim nonetheless

Reactions: 3 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Does this mean if there is 3 compulsory picks those can be possibly be used exclusively for rookie elevations?

Surely the concept of having to sign 3 new players is the first rule to go. Whats the point of signing 3 new players if it only means that 3 new plays that have never had even a chance to play a proper reserves game gets cut?

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Surely the concept of having to sign 3 new players is the first rule to go. Whats the point of signing 3 new players if it only means that 3 new plays that have never had even a chance to play a proper reserves game gets cut?
Indeed, would've thought if so, promoting rookies would be counter productive to the whole concept of each team having compulsory picks each year

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Of course the AFL has lost so much money. It's been a disaster for this and many high profile sports. No-one would have risk analysed for a COVID-19 scenario. Intriguing as to what happens from here. Player payments will surely be significantly affected for the foreseeable future, even more so if list sizes aren't reduced.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Clubs should be annoyed at having to reduce their soft cap if the AFL continue to pour money into the Suns and GWS.
I know they want to even out the competition by reducing clubs soft cap spend. Is there any other reason, it's the clubs own money after all?

And when's the AFL going to announce list numbers for next season, it's really p!ssing me off. What are they waiting for?

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Rookie picks have counted as draft picks for the last few years, so yes feasibly a team could promote 3 rookies and have no "live" picks in the ND.

I doubt we will, but i reckon the club would consider trading out our picks this year, for picks next year. just keeping 1 for MRJr. The trick will be trying to guess where he gets picked (or live trading to suit.)

or we trade out a couple of decent players for picks next year.

• Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Naish, Turner, English, Miller, Garth, (Broad rumour) in the gun.
they are all possibilities but it would be harsh on all (except maybe Garth who has had a few years and has slid down the pecking order- still he ahs shown he can be a decent AFL defender.)
Miller may be kept as defence/ruck depth.
Turner and English have both shown a bit and have missed the chance to impress this year.
Naish I doubt they will turf yet. Unless they think he is too soft , and wont change(not my view.)

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
they are all possibilities but it would be harsh on all (except maybe Garth who has had a few years and has slid down the pecking order- still he ahs shown he can be a decent AFL defender.)
Turner and English have both shown a bit and have missed the chance to impress this year.
Naish I doubt they will turf yet. Unless they think he is too soft , and wont change(not my view.)
I reckon only one of Naish, Turner and English will be on the list next year, Brodders. But that's just my guess.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
I reckon only one of Naish, Turner and English will be on the list next year, Brodders. But that's just my guess.
Can't see English being on the list and agree one of Naish and Turner may be in the gun, especially with the Eggman jumping ahead of them.

From reports RalphmouthSmith could have also jumped ahead of them.

Problem for both Eggman and Naish is they are very timid in the contest, what is Turner like in terms of going in for the hard ball?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Can't see English being on the list and agree one of Naish and Turner may be in the gun, especially with the Eggman jumping ahead of them.

From reports RalphmouthSmith could have also jumped ahead of them.

Problem for both Eggman and Naish is they are very timid in the contest, what is Turner like in terms of going in for the hard ball?
Agree, rumplesticksin. Turner is 'outside' but learning, from what I've seen.

Naish is contracted next year
He can be traded. I suspect someone else will offer him a game and he'll take it.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

You would expect we'll need to delist around 5 to 6. Who would they the be if not the above?

Wont delist them all (depends on list size) but FWIW in order of in the gun for leysy (Broad traded and Rance delisted)

English
Garthwaite
Miller
Naish
Mabs
Eggs
With Stack a ? mark along with last years draftees who the club will know more of.

Turner's shown enough ILHO.