So how many picks are we going to take? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

So how many picks are we going to take?

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Interestingly we’re the only club not to have traded a future selection in or out. Our current selections are ripe for bundling for draft points, but unfortunately there’s not many teams that need them this year. Freo should have enough for Henry, so the key becomes GWS. If they succeed in their dastardly plan to get a pick before Green is bid on (ie pick 3 or 4), their other picks only give them the scope to match a Green bid at about pick 20, including the discount. If we gave them pick 40ish and 56 that would allow them to match a top 10 bid. Depending on what they give up to move up the order we might be able to get a future 2nd out of them, so we can take three picks inside 40 this year and more or less the same next year.

Reactions: 1 user

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Weller definitely retired, so perhaps only two delistings required.

Also don't teams have to make 3 National Draft selections. Two clubs only have 2 pick, so they could be targets for pick swaps - eg: 41 and 56 for 30 or something like that - especially as I think we will only pick up 3 or 4 at most.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Interestingly we’re the only club not to have traded a future selection in or out. Our current selections are ripe for bundling for draft points, but unfortunately there’s not many teams that need them this year. Freo should have enough for Henry, so the key becomes GWS. If they succeed in their dastardly plan to get a pick before Green is bid on (ie pick 3 or 4), their other picks only give them the scope to match a Green bid at about pick 20, including the discount. If we gave them pick 40ish and 56 that would allow them to match a top 10 bid. Depending on what they give up to move up the order we might be able to get a future 2nd out of them, so we can take three picks inside 40 this year and more or less the same next year.

Green is likely to go top 5 hence why they are interested in trading their 6 upto 3 (essentially is no risk for GWS as there is no way the Suns play games and select Green at 1 or 2).

That means they probably need 2 of our picks (or 2 picks in that range from somewhere else). Assuming Melbourne give them their 2nd next year as part of the trade for GWS's 1st to get them into Pick 3, then I'd be happy with Melbournes 2nd and Norths 3rd in exchange for those 2 picks.

Would leave us with 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds next year. Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd plus Melbournes 2nd and Norths 3rd. Plenty of points there to try and trade up higher next year with a lot of clubs trying to maximise points by trading down the order. Then we take Picks 19, say 39 and 56 to the draft this year.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Also don't teams have to make 3 National Draft selections.

Not sure that's the case anymore. Hawthorn only drafted 2 in the National Draft last year, Koshitzke #52 and Walker #63. In 2017 Adelaide only drafted 2, Fogarty #12 and McPherson #40.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
We have picks 19, 38, 39, 41, 56. Assume we use all 5 picks.

Outs - Main list - Grigg, Ellis, Butler. 2 more to go. Miller perhaps. Not sure who else. Maybe we move Menadue to rookie list. Weller and Towner moved on from rookies list.

Remember we could have 38, 39 or 40 on the primary list, as long as total list = 44*

*we can add up three cat B rookies

ryan

Tiger Rookie
Jul 30, 2005
we had 38 on main list plus 7 rookies - Grigg not included

Ellis and Butler off main = 36

Of the 7 rookies you think Stack, Pickett and Chol ( since he has been contracted for 2 more years) would go on main list so back to 39 on main list.

Egg most likely stays as a rookie

Clubs can have 40 on main list. So we need to delist a few players to use at least 3 or 4 picks in ND. Moore/ Menadue / Miller brings the list total down to 36 thus pick nos 19, 38, 39 , 41 will be used. Cannot see us using pick 56 we got for Butler unless we are going to swap picks on draft night.

Weller retired plus Townsend & Aarts maybe off rookie list. Miller may be moved to rookie list

Should have tried to get future third round for Butler - they probably did

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The following are uncontracted as far as I'm aware

* Ellis - traded
* Bulter - traded
* Weller - retired
* Grigg - retired
* Moore
* Menadue
* Miller
* Eggmolesse-Smith
* Townsend
* Aarts

4 definitely gone. Surely we let go at least another two.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
we had 38 on main list plus 7 rookies - Grigg not included

Ellis and Butler off main = 36

Of the 7 rookies you think Stack, Pickett and Chol ( since he has been contracted for 2 more years) would go on main list so back to 39 on main list.

Egg most likely stays as a rookie

Clubs can have 40 on main list. So we need to delist a few players to use at least 3 or 4 picks in ND. Moore/ Menadue / Miller brings the list total down to 36 thus pick nos 19, 38, 39 , 41 will be used. Cannot see us using pick 56 we got for Butler unless we are going to swap picks on draft night.

Weller retired plus Townsend & Aarts maybe off rookie list. Miller may be moved to rookie list

Should have tried to get future third round for Butler - they probably did

The re - contracted (Chol,Baker,Stack& Pickett) rookies can stay on the rookie list according to Balmey

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The following are uncontracted as far as I'm aware

* Ellis - traded
* Bulter - traded
* Weller - retired
* Grigg - retired
* Moore
* Menadue
* Miller
* Eggmolesse-Smith
* Townsend
* Aarts

4 definitely gone. Surely we let go at least another two.

I thought Miller is contracted to 2020. I haven't seen him play live but he is supposed to be a long term prospect so I reckon he will at least se his contract out