Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
That Saudi team from a few tourneys ago might have been worse but we're certainly in the conversation.

I wonder how long the FIFA will allow countries like Australia to qualify more easily when powerhouse traditional countries like Italy and Holland dont even qualify and they moan about missing out when their sides would easily hump the likes of ours, and they have higher international rankings.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
craig said:
I wonder how long the FIFA will allow countries like Australia to qualify more easily when powerhouse traditional countries like Italy and Holland dont even qualify and they moan about missing out when their sides would easily hump the likes of ours, and they have higher international rankings.

It depends, do they want a world competition or not. Are they going to get more revenue from TV rights with 4 AFC teams in the WC or just 1 or 2?

Like it or not, our WC qualification path is a lot easier now thanks to Lowey and his relationship with Sepp Blatter. While the WC doesn't feel right without countries like Italy involved, having the unconventional countries add something extra. When Cameroon arrived on the scene in 1990 and Roger Milla dazzled us, it was a very good thing for world football.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:

lets not forget that the world cup is increasing to 48 teams in 2026. don't also forget that 75% of the world's population is in Asia. that's where the money is.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Ian you are one of the round ball officiandos on here just where can you see the Aussies scoring goals, cos i cant for the life of me see where they are going to threaten, we find it harder to score than a truck driver in a Nunnery.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:
Ian you are one of the round ball officiandos on here just where can you see the Aussies scoring goals, cos i cant for the life of me see where they are going to threaten, we find it harder to score than a truck driver in a Nunnery.

well I have a bit of a controversial solution to our striker problem. Play Tommy Rogic there.

In a way you're robbing Peter to pay Paul because he is our most technically gifted player, and he loves running at/taking on players. but he can also use his technical guile to hold the ball up (Viduka style) and bring others into the game. He's also one of our better finishers. It also frees up Mooy to do what he does best (Rogic and Mooy clearly don't combine well in the midfield). I think it opens up our options in the midfield. Luongo for example is in cracking form right now and should be starting against France (but he'll probably miss out if Rogic starts in the midfield).

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I'd like to see Jedinak out of the midfield and put into the centre of defense alongside Sainsbury.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
D85 said:
I'd like to see Jedinak out of the midfield and put into the centre of defense alongside Sainsbury.

no I think our best CB's are Sainsbury and Jurman. Spiranovic should be in the conversation, but got lost chasing the dollars. not sure if he even has a club right now. Degenek, Milligan and Rhys Williams are next. then I would consider Jedinak.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ian4 said:
no I think our best CB's are Sainsbury and Jurman. Spiranovic should be in the conversation, but got lost chasing the dollars. not sure if he even has a club right now. Degenek, Milligan and Rhys Williams are next. then I would consider Jedinak.

Agree. Jedinak would get exposed at CB. Personally do not think he is in our best 11.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
rooskit.jpg

World cup kit. the home kit is fine, but I wish we went back to green shorts (blame FIFA for that). the away kit is an abortion. absolutely putrid.

Harry said:
Daniel Arzani must be in the squad for the WC.

I think he should have been capped in the recent friendlies (he still might be in one of the pre-world cup friendlies), but I can't agree he should be in the final 23 for Russia.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
I think he should have been capped in the recent friendlies (he still might be in one of the pre-world cup friendlies), but I can't agree he should be in the final 23 for Russia.

Couldn’t disagree more. You need someone too young to be overawed and brash enough to try audacious stuff on the big stage. Our team lacks any sort of X factor. This kid has it, get him in the squad coming in off the bench.

We’re going to go out without a win regardless, might as well have a bit of excitement about it.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Baloo said:
Couldn’t disagree more. You need someone too young to be overawed and brash enough to try audacious stuff on the big stage. Our team lacks any sort of X factor. This kid has it, get him in the squad coming in off the bench.

We’re going to go out without a win regardless, might as well have a bit of excitement about it.

Agree. He’s a huge talent give him the experience over a plodder.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Seb Pasquali scored in the Dutch second division on the weekend but no one seems to be talking about him. out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Baloo said:

that's actually quite a good point. hadn't looked at it that way.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:

I agree with the ol Bear, the Socceroos have nothing about them.

Might as well throw him in if hes exciting and is brash and backs himself in and actually makes things happen..

Socceroos will struggle to score a goal in the World Cup let alone win a game.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:
Socceroos will struggle to score a goal in the World Cup let alone win a game.

people said that in 2014 after the group of death and we performed admirably. We have a tough group again (no such thing as an easy group for us), but we are more than capable of causing damage. no one will give us a chance against France, but they have been flaky in big tournaments in recent years. Denmark and Peru are very decent, but not in the same stratosphere as France (despite what FIFA rankings say). Denmark is the big game for me personally as I will be in Samara, and I think its a game we can win. We'll have to keep Eriksen in check (who is in scintillating form for Spurs), but this is the game we should be targeting the most. As for Peru, while you'd think they should be too strong for us, I don't think they were that impressive against NZ in the playoffs. It will all depend on where the cards have fallen after the first 2 group games. If they are out of contention by the 3rd game, then who knows.

For me, this is do or die for Tommy Rogic. He should be playing for a big club in a big league, but hasn't lived up to expectation so far (injuries haven't helped of course). If he is to have a successful career in Europe, his time is in Russia.