Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
Socceroos were great. Reckon Arnold will be a better coach for them than Ange.

he's definitely giving them a bit more freedom. but the same old issues keep popping up. no one can finish. Rogic especially has failed us at this level. the asian cup is less than 2 months away and i can't see us at the pointy end unless we can find a quick solution.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Yeah our transition through the midfield is still so slow. The biggest positive was Risdon, he was awesome. Hopefully a move to Europe is on the cards.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Giardiasis said:
Yeah our transition through the midfield is still so slow. The biggest positive was Risdon, he was awesome. Hopefully a move to Europe is on the cards.

is our slow transition due to coaching, our lack of speed or both? i think its due to our lack of speed. This is why we need to give Awer Mabil more game time.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Boyle scores his first goal for the Socceroos, he's got a lot of pace, looks very promising, Aust 1 Lebanon 0 after 19 minutes.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
tigerman said:
Boyle scores his first goal for the Socceroos, he's got a lot of pace, looks very promising, Aust 1 Lebanon 0 after 19 minutes.

Make that 2 to Boyle, he was Johhny on the spot for his second.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Ian4 said:
is our slow transition due to coaching, our lack of speed or both? i think its due to our lack of speed. This is why we need to give Awer Mabil more game time.
Yeah lack of speed. Rogic, Mooy and Luongo shouldn’t all start at he same time IMO.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Nice to see the players taking shots, rather holding on to the ball and passing it around, a big tick to Arnold.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Pretty ordinary send off for Cahill. The last 10 minutes contained 9 minutes of injuries and substitutions.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
jb03 said:
Pretty ordinary send off for Cahill. The last 10 minutes contained 9 minutes of injuries and substitutions.

Nah it was the thought that counts - he was on the field when the game ended and that was all that matters.

Most players don’t get to say goodbye this way - sport is more ruthless these days

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Boyle and Mabil look the goods, don't they?

tigerman said:
Nice to see the players taking shots, rather holding on to the ball and passing it around, a big tick to Arnold.

thats the biggest difference i have noticed. and we have some players capable of shooting from distance.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ian4 said:
thats the biggest difference i have noticed. and we have some players capable of shooting from distance.

Yes we do, and like Boyle's 1st goal there are many long range goals that come from a deflection, it's impossible to defend against that.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Ian4 said:
Boyle and Mabil look the goods, don't they?

Good point.

In recent times you looked at the Australian team's attack and it looked totally impotent on several fronts. 1) As you point out, no one shooting from long range 2) No one looked even close to threatening, in the sense of having the flair and skill to dribble around international level defenders. In short, you never felt we realistically looked like scoring, no matter whether we dominated possession and attacking play or not.

Boyle and Mabil look like they might change that outlook somewhat. Throw in Arzarni, when fit, and the line up takes on a much more attacking look.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Gotta hand it to Arnie - he's realised our remaining out-and-out strikers are sh!t and he's copied the fast mosquito fleet forward line of the Tigers. 4 pacy forwards who can score the odd goal each. Will be interesting to see how far we can go in the Asian Cup.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
antman said:
Gotta hand it to Arnie - he's realised our remaining out-and-out strikers are sh!t and he's copied the fast mosquito fleet forward line of the Tigers. 4 pacy forwards who can score the odd goal each. Will be interesting to see how far we can go in the Asian Cup.

I don't think we'll go far tbh. Too many injuries. If we top pur group we will play Japan in the quarter finals. That'll be our exit for mine.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
antman said:

Actually, Arnold himself is saying he wants to base their new, attacking style of play on Liverpool's mercurial front four. Don't think he has quite the same class to choose from!

Anyway, just came on to say that it's appalling that Australians cannot see one of their major national teams on F-to-Air TV playing in the Asian Cup starting with match against Jordan tonight. Not sure why SBS not showing any games - funding cuts probably or simply outbid by Fox? (I refuse to subscribe to any platform that makes profit for that creep, Murdoch).

Disappointing - usually the games of that highly deflating national RU team, the Wallabies, are telecast sometime on F-to-Air but not what I would describe as a team with a far broader national following. (Rapidly overtaking the national cricket team too?!)

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
leon said:
Actually, Arnold himself is saying he wants to base their new, attacking style of play on Liverpool's mercurial front four. Don't think he has quite the same class to choose from!

Anyway, just came on to say that it's appalling that Australians cannot see one of their major national teams on F-to-Air TV playing in the Asian Cup starting with match against Jordan tonight. Not sure why SBS not showing any games - funding cuts probably or simply outbid by Fox? (I refuse to subscribe to any platform that makes profit for that creep, Murdoch).

Disappointing - usually the games of that highly deflating national RU team, the Wallabies, are telecast sometime on F-to-Air but not what I would describe as a team with a far broader national following. (Rapidly overtaking the national cricket team too?!)

Yes agree totally - I logged onto the my football app to watch the game streaming but it’s only live on Fox - I had the impression that I could watch it free being a Telstra customer - weak as.

FFA have no clue - what a waste of money hosting the event last time and then not following that up with fta coverage, particularly as we are the defending champions

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We're crap. Arnold coaching like its 2007. Nothings changed.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Players too often static & ball movement too slow. Rogic, in particular, very poor. Cruse, even as injury cover, should not be in the squad. Need to find some young, quick central defenders as we always look vulnerable to the quick counter. Like to think we'll improve in our next 2 games but will it be enough? No easy beats. Little room for error now.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Baloo said:
We're crap. Arnold coaching like its 2007. Nothings changed.
It was like the bad old days when Farina was coaching.

We lack class up front. How Troisi is not in that team is beyond me, especially with Moy and Arzani out. Zero creativity in midfield.