Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Jeez we miss some 1-on-1 chances against the goalie.

Didn't look to be anything wrong with the disallowed goal.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Good luck getting a feed in Victoria St tonight.

Tommy Rogic in great touch but we try to get too fancy around the box and lack a world-class striker.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Great night last night. a full AAMI Park is beautiful to see. Wish we had more Socceroos games there. Bit weird hanging in the active with City, Sydney and Western United fans. Geez it was bloody hot.

We got the result we needed with the added bonus of Tommy Rogic finally waking up from his slumber. Ange has clearly rejuvenated him.

Japan and Saudi Arabia both won as expected. Oman are out of the running now, which should work to our advantage next Wednesday morning. Japan at ANZ on March 24 will be D-day. I’m gonna try and get to that game.

What. A. Pic. :love:

AAMI PARK 27-1-22.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, credit to Vietnam who didn't park the bus too much and were dangerous on the break. Lots of Vietnamese fans from Richmond and elsewhere turned up and made a lot of noise.

Rogic continuing his excellent Celtic form. Mooy is really past it - he's a statue in midfield these days. Can't get back in time if there's a counter attack. Good to see Marco Tillio get his first senior cap, should have scored really with a few good opportunities. Nice goal by Goodwin as well.

We looked a much better side without Arnie pulling the strings in the technical area :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Mooy is really past it - he's a statue in midfield these days. Can't get back in time if there's a counter attack.
I thought he was pretty good and noticeably did get back and win the ball back on the edge of the defensive penalty box at least a couple of times. But Vietnam were lightning on the counter at times.

Karacic impressed and great to see McGree take his chance like a proper striker. Sometimes you have to pull the trigger rather than try to dribble or pass through a crowded box.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Japan beats Saudi 2 : 0 at home tonight. That adds just that extra bit of pressure for tonights game - it’s a must win now.

Well there’s no way I can wait till 3 am kick off so will log in tomorrow for an update. Go the Socceroos.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
2-2. Coughed up the lead 2x. Chances of automatic qualification just about gone. I think we'll be neutral observers at year's end.

• Sad

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
2-2. Coughed up the lead 2x. Chances of automatic qualification just about gone. I think we'll be neutral observers at year's end.

I can't see us beating the 5th placed South American side with this squad and coach.

• Sad

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I can't see us beating the 5th placed South American side with this squad and coach.

yeah I think it is all over now. If we can’t beat Oman who was missing a stack of players in front of an empty stadium then that’s it I reckon. Have severely underperformed this qualifiers.

• Sad

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Performances & results deteriorating with each game. I fear embarrassment, humiliation after Japan visit next month. They certainly won't be as passive as we were in the in the 1st match & will relish the chance to inflict a knockout punch.

• Sad

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Honestly, its time for Arnold to go. But Football Australia don't have the money to sack him and replace him with someone half decent. The same goes for Gustavsson at the Matildas.

Not many people know that the continental playoffs is not a 2-legged match this time around due to COVID. It’s a one-off game in Qatar. In June. This help us a lot. We are familiar with the conditions.

I wonder Harper and Slater have got to say .

You mean the same Sydney Football Mafia that got Ange removed and their mate Arnold installed in as coach?

• Sad

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Watching the Socceroos (Matildas and Wallabies) is brutal for your mind, your mentality, so so disappointing in so many aspects :(

Saudi - 19pts (+5GD), Japan - 18pts (+6), Australia - 15pts (+9). Two games left.

Saudi next game away to China, probably a win at least a draw and get to 20-22, then last game is a home game for them V Australia. A draw or a win versus Australia puts them unreachable for us, it'll be a 3rd place qualifier game for us and then the 5th placed South American team if we win the first one.

Australia next game home to Japan then away to Saudi in that final game..

Japan next up in Sydney V Australia, last game they're at home to Vietnam. Should get to 21-22 with a win V Vietnam, a win or draw V Australia, again forget it for us, 3rd place qualifier then V South American 5th placed team.

If Australia beat Japan and Saudi, Japan will likely need a 5, 6 or 7 goal win V Vietnam in their last game due to their poorer goal difference +6 now, Australia is at +9 (before we play each other).

Ohhhh and we haven't beat Japan since 2009, an 8 game run now without a win. 3 draws, 5 losses since 2009 World Cup qualifier win . So good luck with that one aye!! :(

Looks likely we will play the Asian Group A 3rd place getter at this moment UAE in a one-off game, win that then another one-off game versus 5th placed South American team in Qatar 13/14 June this year, no H&A ties.

Vying for the 5th spot in South America, live standings during Uruguay 3 - Venezuela 0 game and Argentina 0 - Colombia 0.
4 - Uruguay - 16 Games, 22 pts
5 - Peru - 15 Games, 20 pts
6 - Chile - 16 Games, 19 pts
7 - Colombia - 16 games, 18 pts

Two games left for Uruguay, Colombia and Chile, 3 left for Peru.

Uruguay up 3-0, potentially locking in 4th spot, good for us if we miss them, still got lots of good players in their squad.

Would definitely rather play Peru if possible, Colombia then Chile before Uruguay.

But we'd find a way to implode like we always do, even if we played 10th placed Venezuela!! :confused:

Last edited: