Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Performances & results deteriorating with each game. I fear embarrassment, humiliation after Japan visit next month. They certainly won't be as passive as we were in the in the 1st match & will relish the chance to inflict a knockout punch.
They might be passive. Japan just need a draw against us, and another point against Vietnam to qualify.
We need to win.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
They might be passive. Japan just need a draw against us, and another point against Vietnam to qualify.
We need to win.
We need to win both games to ensure a top 2 spot.

A draw for us in the last game versus Saudi while Japan's last game at home is versus Vietnam.

I can't see Japan drawing or losing to a team who only has 3 pts, a win versus China.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You mean the same Sydney Football Mafia that got Ange removed and their mate Arnold installed in as coach?
Yes, that's exactly who I mean. Speaking of Ange, the great man is going to be on SEN with Cornhole tomorrow morning.

• Wow

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Honestly, its time for Arnold to go. But Football Australia don't have the money to sack him and replace him with someone half decent. The same goes for Gustavsson at the Matildas.
This is correct.
Arnold just keeps getting gigs like he's some kind of aussie round ball hero, I'm sick of him.
Gustavsson? he's a donut.

• Haha

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
If he wins the league at celtic in spite of their issues, the premier league will come knocking very soon.
In his favour, he plays an attacking brand off football that players, owners and fans all like. Would be interesting to see him get a Villa, Everton, Wolves, I think he'd do a good job. Man, give him the Newcasle job :p

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not many people know that the continental playoffs is not a 2-legged match this time around due to COVID. It’s a one-off game in Qatar. In June. This help us a lot. We are familiar with the conditions.

Yes, true Ian... but even with those advantages I wouldn't be backing us against, say, Uruguay. We'd probably get past UAE in the Asia qualifier to get there though.

Current CONMEBOL WCQ standings

1643769395361.png

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not sure I'll bother caring too much while Arnold is coach. Even if we scrape through we'll disappoint.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Geez Australian Soccer has gone backwards at a rate of knots in recent years. Both in the National teams (Matilda's Olympics excepted) and the domestic competition.

Lost all foothold with the general sporting public. And it had plenty a few years back.

• Sad

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Yes, true Ian... but even with those advantages I wouldn't be backing us against, say, Uruguay. We'd probably get past UAE in the Asia qualifier to get there though.

Current CONMEBOL WCQ standings

If it was a 2-legged hone and away match up, I would give us zero chance. But in a one-off game in 40-degree heat in June? We’ll still be underdogs, but its basically like a cup game… and upsets happen all the time in cup games.

Not sure I'll bother caring too much while Arnold is coach. Even if we scrape through we'll disappoint.

depends on whether or not you were planning on going to Qatar i guess.

Geez Australian Soccer has gone backwards at a rate of knots in recent years. Both in the National teams (Matilda's Olympics excepted) and the domestic competition.

Lost all foothold with the general sporting public. And it had plenty a few years back.

happy to leave discussion about the domestic game to the A-League thread (I always bhave plenty to say).

But as for youth coming through… our youth systems are slowly improving with strict rules for NPL teams (they all must have under 12, 14, 16, 18 men’s and women’s teams) and A-League finally getting their academies up and running. And I honestly believe the youth coming through is the best we’ve had since the golden generation. But we’re not there yet. Hopefully your King's, your Tilio's, your Velupillay's and your Toure's come through the next few qualifying phases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

i wonder whether internationally we have gone backwards or other countries have just gone past us.
we did have the "golden generation" of about 10years ago, but other than that we are probably where we have always been. a country well off the pace of the best, a few steps behind the next level, then in a mass of countries whose achievements ebb and flow depending on whether they have a couple of true stars in the midst at that particular time.
our declining status in Asia says more about the rise of Japan and Sth Korea in particular than it does about us, IMO.

likewise the Matildas probably benefitted from a system in Australia that was a few years ahead of many other countries- this allowed the current crop to compete with the best- as the best countries were limited in number. now though there are more and more countries that can compete. we are still that step behind the very best, but now those elite countries are probably 4 or 5, rather than just the US, and there are now 10 or so countries on the next level, rather than just us and a few others.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
depends on whether or not you were planning on going to Qatar i guess.

I had already planned a visit to our Qatar office for Nov/Dec this year. Everything was lining up nicely.

• Wow

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i wonder whether internationally we have gone backwards or other countries have just gone past us.
we did have the "golden generation" of about 10years ago, but other than that we are probably where we have always been. a country well off the pace of the best, a few steps behind the next level, then in a mass of countries whose achievements ebb and flow depending on whether they have a couple of true stars in the midst at that particular time.
our declining status in Asia says more about the rise of Japan and Sth Korea in particular than it does about us, IMO.

likewise the Matildas probably benefitted from a system in Australia that was a few years ahead of many other countries- this allowed the current crop to compete with the best- as the best countries were limited in number. now though there are more and more countries that can compete. we are still that step behind the very best, but now those elite countries are probably 4 or 5, rather than just the US, and there are now 10 or so countries on the next level, rather than just us and a few others.

There is a lot of truth in that. Gulf countries especially have put in squillions in player development. Money we can only dream about.

Japan are about 20 years into a 100 year plan.

And I wouldn't say the Matilda's have dropped off exactly, more really plateaued... compare that to many European countries where the women’s game has had a massive surge in development.

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
This is correct.
Arnold just keeps getting gigs like he's some kind of aussie round ball hero, I'm sick of him.
Gustavsson? he's a donut.
Yeah Arnold is a peanut. Always has been always will be. Was overrated as a player and is terrible as a coach. Socceroos are going nowhere with him in charge.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Germany was 2006, the pinnacle of our peak years. 16 years ago.

Yes - that it was. You could also make a case that 1997 was even a better squad, running like a well-oiled machine under El Tel ... but now I've resurrected some bad memories :cry:

• Sad

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Watching Ange coach Celtic v Rangers as they've gone in at halftime 3 zip!
Hope Craig Foster and the Sydney football mafia are all *smile* squirming !

Ps... unbelievable atmosphere @celtic!

• Love