Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Take a look at the best players in the game and tell me why there are very few players over 6ft 3 performing in them.
Ibrahimovic is 6ft 5. You might be surprised at how tall the players are these days. Shortarse Ronaldo is 6ft 1

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Is Buddy Franklin a superior athlete to Matthew Leckie? Jesus H Christ.

You're comparing a person who kicked 1,000 goals v someone who played about 140 Bundesliga games. If you wanna compare apples with apples, compare him with Cristiano Ronaldo.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Ibrahimovic is 6ft 5. You might be surprised at how tall the players are these days. Shortarse Ronaldo is 6ft 1

As I said, very few. Ibrahimovic is a freak, hardly the prototype of what makes it in the game. He is unbelievably good (almost as good as he is arrogant haha)

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Regarding talent pool. Outside of blokes who went on to be elite Australian Rules players. The two rugby codes take up a pretty big chunk of the athletic talent pool in NSW and QLD. Some of the smaller, stocky players would have provided some pretty decent talent in a historical sliding doors moment that the two rugby codes never existed in Australia. The types of blokes playing half back in league for instance, or scrum half in Union.

And it doesn't necessarily need to be specific examples of, Gary Abblett Jnr, or Brett Deledio, or Buddy Franklin, or Peter Stirling, or George Greagan would have been the best socceroos ever. It's not as absolute as that.

If you had that greater pool of athletic talent involved in soccer (instead of largely domestic codes), it creates an intensively hard fought, competitive, deep talent pool, raising the overall culture and standard of the game. That then creates really good international level players filtering to the top of that pile. In that sliding doors hypothetical, you might have had blokes who never actually made the top level of the rugby codes or Aussie rules, not due to skill defects, but due to their body breaking down from the contact element of elite level high contact sports. In a sliding door moment that these higher contact football codes weren't around, there could be a whole host of these blokes, that never became household names in the two ruby codes or Aussie rules, choosing to play soccer instead at a young age. And finding a niche they never found in this life. Pushed on by the deeper, more competitive talent pool.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not yet. Wales have got through Leg1, their 2nd leg is a playoff against either Scotland or Ukraine who's 1st leg was delayed until June for obvious reasons.
yeah forgot about that. Good that it could be either the Welsh or the Scots in though!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
....... Pendles would have the best chance of the 3 to make it.

The biggest myth that AFL fans believe - and it actually makes me laugh - is the misguided view that AFL is the most skilful sport in the world.
Pendlebury? Nah he couldnt play any other sport than Aussie Rules.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Canada through to the World Cup for the first time since 1986. Shame they have to make their long awaited return in Qatar’s nothing cup.

When the extent of the bid corruption was uncovered. Sacking people wasn’t enough. Qatar should have been stripped and the cup awarded to the second placed bid, which was in actual fact by far the most solid bid. And that was the US bid.

It would have been great for Canada, playing in front of virtual home crowds if their matches were scheduled strategically in cities close to the Canadian border. Plus it’s looking likely the US and Mexico will also qualify. Really would have been some type of spectacle with all those stars aligning.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
'I've given my best': Graham Arnold faces down critics as Socceroos prepare for final World Cup qualifier

The only silver lining to that statement is that it looks like Arnold is on the way out.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Qatar’s nothing cup.

When the extent of the bid corruption was uncovered. Sacking people wasn’t enough. Qatar should have been stripped and the cup awarded to the second placed bid, which was in actual fact by far the most solid bid. And that was the US bid.
I have no doubt that when the World Cup is on, very few people will care about how Qatar got the hosting rights. It's the biggest sporting event in the World and will still be watched and enjoyed by billions.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I have no doubt that when the World Cup is on, very few people will care about how Qatar got the hosting rights. It's the biggest sporting event in the World and will still be watched and enjoyed by billions.
Blind Freddy could see how bizarre a bid it was. I mean Qatar FFS? A sandy desert peninsula that really only has one city. So you have one host city and a few Bedouin nomadic host villages, with stadiums built over the bones of the Bangladeshi and Pakastani indentured labour, in the middle of the desert. Perhaps it could have been jointly hosted by Qatar and the UAE to at least make it look a bit genuine, with actual host cities. From a logistical point of view you would be tempted to say Saudi Arabia as a joint host, given they have a genuine history in the game, But clearly you couldn't do it, due to political reasoning. That said, FIFA seem pretty malleable, depending on who's paying the most under the table.

May as well have the Pilbara put in a bid in it's own right next. The atmosphere and conditions wouldn't be much different.

Regarding the US. They have so many existing stadiums to choose from - both professional and college stadiums. They would theoretically be ready to host if Qatar was stripped now and the US only had months to prepare. It really was by far the best bid.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yes, the Netherlands don't play footy.

Buddy is burly because he's done weights for 18 years. Have a look at the skinny kid who came into the league in 2005. He's shorter than Peter Crouch, and roughly 17 times the athlete. But no, he couldn't have made it as a soccer player. Soccer's a magical mystery game and only soccer players can play soccer. But only if they're soccer players. If they didn't choose soccer they had no chance of being good at it if they had.

Matthew Leckie.
Leckie/Butler is a good analogy.

Plenty of Leckie like players have played for Australia and played in the top leagues over Europe. They aren’t all magical maestros with the ball. As you suggest if the elite players in AFL with elite game sense and athletic traits had focused on sokkah from an early age we would have a better national team and more players in elite competitions around the world.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
'I've given my best': Graham Arnold faces down critics as Socceroos prepare for final World Cup qualifier

The only silver lining to that statement is that it looks like Arnold is on the way out.
Will have plenty of time to walk his dog.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Blind Freddy could see how bizarre a bid it was. I mean Qatar FFS? A sandy desert peninsula that really only has one city. So you have one host city and a few Bedouin nomadic host villages, with stadiums built over the bones of the Bangladeshi and Pakastani indentured labour, in the middle of the desert. Perhaps it could have been jointly hosted by Qatar and the UAE to at least make it look a bit genuine, with actual host cities. From a logistical point of view you would be tempted to say Saudi Arabia as a joint host, given they have a genuine history in the game, But clearly you couldn't do it, due to political reasoning. That said, FIFA seem pretty malleable, depending on who's paying the most under the table.

May as well have the Pilbara put in a bid in it's own right next. The atmosphere and conditions wouldn't be much different.

Regarding the US. They have so many existing stadiums to choose from - both professional and college stadiums. They would theoretically be ready to host if Qatar was stripped now and the US only had months to prepare. It really was by far the best bid.

If it wasn't for FIFA's inner workings we would never have moved from Oceania to the Asian Confederation. That move was a massive boost for soccer in Australia.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
If it wasn't for FIFA's inner workings we would never have moved from Oceania to the Asian Confederation. That move was a massive boost for soccer in Australia.
I'm actually of the belief that Oceania should have been disbanded and absorbed into Asia. It becomes an Asia-Pacific Confederation.

Asia then plays in two conferences (or sub confederations) for qualifying purposes in World and Asian Cups. An East Asia-Pacific group (incorporating Australia-Oceania, South-East Asia and East Asia). And a South and West Asia group (incorporating the South Asian subcontinent, the Middle East and the Asian ex Soviet Republics). Only crossing over in the penultimate phase of qualifying.

Asia has talked about splitting this way anyway, even without taking Oceania into account. It's such a big geographic region, with so many time zones, I can see why they would think about options like that.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Robbie Kruse has ekked out an international career without being a special player.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm actually of the belief that Oceania should have been disbanded and absorbed into Asia. It becomes an Asia-Pacific Confederation.

I'm not. It took a lot of lobbying, selling of votes, and Blatter's support to get Australia a fair run into the World Cup. Lowey used his personal relationship with Blatter to get us into the AFC. So while the FIFA way of doing *smile* was abhorrent, I'll always bite my tongue a little because we used it to our advantage and it made a massive difference to the sport in Australia.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Ah, that old chestnut. Do you really want to get into this?

Ron Barassi famously said in 1964 that VFL players can beat Sokkah at their own sport. Jack Dyer organised a match and lost 8-0 in a friendly against a local amateur side.

Nick Davis recently tweeted something similar. He claimed it would be easier for an AFL player to convert to the A-League and harder for an A-League player to convert to AFL.

Some of these naïve comments make me laugh sometimes.

My question to you is this: how many basketball players and sportsman that were poached from other sports (such as Gaelic football, rugby and so on) manage to make the grade in AFL? How many pure athletes with minimal footy skills are drafted? The answer is… a lot. In fact, many of these "imports" are actually better kicks of the footy than somewone who grew up playing the game.

Now let me ask you... how many sportsman convert to Sokkah at age 15-16, then becomes a star of the game? The answer is zero. The moral of the story is that it takes significantly more practice to be a professional Sokkah player compared to being a professional AFL player. Remember Usain Bolt at Central Coast Mariners?

Yet you think Buddy, Dusty and Pendles can make the grade in Sokkah? It takes a different type of athlete to play the game. you need to be quick, nimble and have a low centre of gravity. Perhaps a crumbing forward would fit that mould. Some indigenous players might. Dusty would be too big and wouldn't last 90 minutes unless he slimmed down. Buddy can’t even kick on his right foot. Pendles would have the best chance of the 3 to make it.

The biggest myth that AFL fans believe - and it actually makes me laugh - is the misguided view that AFL is the most skilful sport in the world.
agree. completely different skill set.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I'm not. It took a lot of lobbying, selling of votes, and Blatter's support to get Australia a fair run into the World Cup. Lowey used his personal relationship with Blatter to get us into the AFC. So while the FIFA way of doing *smile* was abhorrent, I'll always bite my tongue a little because we used it to our advantage and it made a massive difference to the sport in Australia.
To use your signature. Oceania = "Dud, delist."

Last edited: