Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Welcome back Antman.

year of the tiger said:
FFA have no clue - what a waste of money hosting the event last time and then not following that up with fta coverage, particularly as we are the defending champions

I'm usually first in line to criticise the FFA, but they have no control over how the Asian Cup TV rights are distributed. But yes i agree its very disappointing its not on FTA. My advice is to sign up to the Kayo Sports free trial.

year of the tiger said:
And I thought Jordan was our easiest game...... not looking good

No, Palestine will be our easiest game. Jordan in the middle East was always tough. I'm not hugely surprised by the result, but hugely disappointed by the way we played. Stagnant is an understatement. A squillion crosses into the box with no one ever attacking the ball. Worst performance from the Socceroos since the final days of the Holger era.

One positive is that we probably won't win the group now. Thats actually a good thing.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
leon said:
Actually, Arnold himself is saying he wants to base their new, attacking style of play on Liverpool's mercurial front four. Don't think he has quite the same class to choose from!

Anyway, just came on to say that it's appalling that Australians cannot see one of their major national teams on F-to-Air TV playing in the Asian Cup starting with match against Jordan tonight. Not sure why SBS not showing any games - funding cuts probably or simply outbid by Fox? (I refuse to subscribe to any platform that makes profit for that creep, Murdoch).

Disappointing - usually the games of that highly deflating national RU team, the Wallabies, are telecast sometime on F-to-Air but not what I would describe as a team with a far broader national following. (Rapidly overtaking the national cricket team too?!)

Get used to it.
Free to air is dying a slow death. Pretty much everything is going to end up on some form of subscription service.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Watching the second half it was like the team thought Timmy was still playing.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Coburgtiger said:
Get used to it.
Free to air is dying a slow death. Pretty much everything is going to end up on some form of subscription service.

You might be right eventually, but I don't necessarily have to at all. Still test cricket, at least 4 AFL games pw, a lot of tennis, A-League games, even some EPL games on SBS, plus assorted other sports coverage we can still watch on FTA. Governments know that they will likely lose public support quickly if that gets cut away too drastically.

I'm very unlikely to subscribe to anything that profits that crone Murdoch's empire, unlike him flogging off his Australian citizenship to access the U$ media market. Besides, just think of all the money I'm saving.

But each to their own.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Or rate any of our teams highly.

there is no doubt the lesser like countries are improving rapidly (India, Jordan, Vietnam, etc). Hopefully that pushes the bigger teams as well.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Smoking Aces said:
In the unlikely event we don't get a result tonight where does that leave Arnold?

They should call in an experienced Socceroo coach to help him out as an advisor. What's Farina doing these days?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Smoking Aces said:
In the unlikely event we don't get a result tonight where does that leave Arnold?

we'll win tonight. but questions will be asked when we are knocked out before the semi finals. can't see the FFA sacking him though. they will probably use the injury excuse.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Baloo said:
They should call in an experienced Socceroo coach to help him out as an advisor. What's Farina doing these days?
Ah Farina. Them were the days.

Ian4 said:
we'll win tonight. but questions will be asked when we are knocked out before the semi finals. can't see the FFA sacking him though. they will probably use the injury excuse.
We will be lucky to make the quarter finals let alone semi's.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Smoking Aces said:
We will be lucky to make the quarter finals let alone semi's.

i agree. but the bonus of losing the first game is that we are now unlikely to top the group. finishing second likely means a quarter final against the UAE (instead of Japan if we'd finished on top).

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Ian4 said:
i agree. but the bonus of losing the first game is that we are now unlikely to top the group. finishing second likely means a quarter final against the UAE (instead of Japan if we'd finished on top).
I will be interesting to see what changes they make to the starting 11.

Grant for Risdon is a given.

I would start Ikonomidis instead of Kruse. Nabbout will come in for Maclaren if fit.

The one I would drop out of midfield is Luongo and start Irvine there.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Smoking Aces said:
I will be interesting to see what changes they make to the starting 11.

Grant for Risdon is a given.

I would start Ikonomidis instead of Kruse. Nabbout will come in for Maclaren if fit.

The one I would drop out of midfield is Luongo and start Irvine there.
Nailed it. ;D