Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I don't follow soccer that closely, but there seems to be some controversy with the sacking of the Matilda's coach.

From the outside, the Matildas seem to be going very nicely.

Why was he sacked, and was it just?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Nico said:
I don't follow soccer that closely, but there seems to be some controversy with the sacking of the Matilda's coach.

From the outside, the Matildas seem to be going very nicely.

Why was he sacked, and was it just?

the FFA isn't saying much. its very worrying so close to the world cup. Gallop is giving away nothing. pressure is mounting on him.

FYI, there is a seprate Matilda's thread.
http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=51111.15

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ian4 said:
add Naboutt to that. we'd probably win the tournamant if they were all available.

i think he has been a great servant who has been crueled by injuries. i also think he has been made the scapegoat of a side that struggles to score. he did however lead the assist count in the last round of world cup qualifiers. something that get ignored a lot by the haters. be that as it may, i think his time as a regular socceroo is coming to an end. we have some pretty good wingers coming through the ranks.

Agree - Kruse has been a good servant but his time is just about up. Buried the penalty nicely against the Uzbeks.

Not Arnie's biggest fan but he's copping a whole lot of *smile* just because we lost a game against Jordan. He's doing OK given our lack of quality in the front third - he's gone some way to address it with Mabil, Leckie, Giannou and Ikonomides getting good game time.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
antman said:
Not Arnie's biggest fan but he's copping a whole lot of sh!t just because we lost a game against Jordan. He's doing OK given our lack of quality in the front third - he's gone some way to address it with Mabil, Leckie, Giannou and Ikonomides getting good game time.

Agree. Hopefully Leckie & Giannou start against UAE.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
They'll be as relevant as the Wallabies soon

Does anyone think its a huge surprise we lost? I don't think so. While we have some very good talent coming through,
we will continue to struggle until we can find a bonafide goal scorer and a coach who can coach to our strengths. Questions should be asked as to how Arnold got the gig in the first place. My best guess is that it came down to money. Coz we don't have it.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Ian4 said:
Does anyone think its a huge surprise we lost? I don't think so. While we have some very good talent coming through,
we will continue to struggle until we can find a bonafide goal scorer and a coach who can coach to our strengths. Questions should be asked as to how Arnold got the gig in the first place. My best guess is that it came down to money. Coz we don't have it.
Not money. Just mates in high places.

The Sydney soccer mafia run the FFA.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Smoking Aces said:
Not money. Just mates in high places.

The Sydney soccer mafia run the FFA.

The second part is true. Robbie Slater IS the Sydney Football Mafia and is best mates with Arnold.

Interesting to see this morning that Arnold has been linked with Hibs in Scotland. Is he walking before he's pushed?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
World Cup qualification - Socceroos 2:0 at the half against Kuwait in Kuwait. Should be 4:0 up at least. Almost forgot this was on, such are the times we live in.

Three games in Kuwait over the next few weeks. The pitch looks like a cow paddock and all games in the group will be played here so it's going to be ugly.

Need to top the group for automatic passage through to the next round.

These games are on ABC tv but very early in the morning.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Finished 3:0, good start to this part of the campaign. Leckie scored with a header after 55 seconds (which i missed), then a penalty missed by Boyle but Irvine got the rebound, then a great free kick from Hrustic who looked really good - potential replacement for Mooy and Rogic. Playing in the Bundesliga now. Should have been 6:0 really.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...uture-as-socceroos-dust-off-cobwebs-in-kuwait

We have a break of 5 points on Jordan in second place in the group, they have a game in hand. Two more wins from three games will make it certain and we play Chinese Taipei, Nepal and then Jordan in the last game, so that should be a formality really. Jordan could still get through to the next round as some of the best second placed teams in groups will qualify.

The next round will also be this year, starting September and must be concluded by March next year. That will be the two groups of 6 format, top two go through, third places will play each other and then play a team from another confed to qualify as we had to do for the last WC.

Next game Tuesday morning 5am our time.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Finished 3:0, good start to this part of the campaign. Leckie scored with a header after 55 seconds (which i missed), then a penalty missed by Boyle but Irvine got the rebound, then a great free kick from Hrustic who looked really good - potential replacement for Mooy and Rogic. Playing in the Bundesliga now. Should have been 6:0 really.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...uture-as-socceroos-dust-off-cobwebs-in-kuwait

We have a break of 5 points on Jordan in second place in the group, they have a game in hand. Two more wins from three games will make it certain and we play Chinese Taipei, Nepal and then Jordan in the last game, so that should be a formality really. Jordan could still get through to the next round as some of the best second placed teams in groups will qualify.

The next round will also be this year, starting September and must be concluded by March next year. That will be the two groups of 6 format, top two go through, third places will play each other and then play a team from another confed to qualify as we had to do for the last WC.

Next game Tuesday morning 5am our time.
Haven't watched it - who commentated it. How come Mooy wasn't playing?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Haven't watched it - who commentated it. How come Mooy wasn't playing?

I think it was Andy Harper and maybe Slater? Bosnich at half time.

Mooy chose to stay with his family - as did Mitch Langerak.

Rogic recovering from injury and fighting for his contract at Celtic. By the way, Postecoglou in the box seat to take over as Celtic manager.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just finished pulling the match down so will be watching tonight.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Game two of this phase for us, look away now if you don't want to see the score...

5-1 over Taipei, we beat them 7-1 in Taipei last time. They are part-timers so as expected. They put up a good fight and defended better than Kuwait really. We could have had more goals again but many chances spurned. They scored at 4:0 and were so happy, great to see.

Our first 3 goals at the half were from corners and a penalty so a mild concern we don't score from open play, much like our last few games at the WC finals.

Play Nepal next, Friday at 2am , that should be an easy win which would see us through top of group regardless of other results I think. Last game is our only tough one, Jordan, but that should be a dead rubber anyway.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
After the announcement of the A-League going to Ch 10 and Paramount+ for the next 5 years, they have also won the rights for all Socceroos and Matilda's matches for the next 3 and a half years (including world cup qualifiers, but excluding the world cup). The FFA cup is also included as part of this deal. That’s a pretty big commitment from Ch 10.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Forgot to mention we beat Nepal 3:0 on Saturday morning so we topped the group and go through into the final phase of qualifying later this year. We have one more game this phase against Jordan Weds morning our time, which is the toughest game in theory, but also a dead rubber.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
3-0 win against China this morning to open the final phase of world cup qualifying. good result considering we were playing a "home game" in Doha. We play Vietnam away on Tuesday night (no crowds).

Our 2 main rivals in our group had mixed results. Saudi Arabia beat Vietnam 3-1 at home. Japan lost at home to Oman (1-0).

FYI, all Socceroos qualifiers are on Ch 10 and 10Play (games won’t start on Paramount Plus until late October). 10Play are also showing other world cup qualifiers in Asia for free.

Nice to see Simon Hill back, who has signed with Ch 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users