Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Too passive, 1st 1/2 in particular. Needed to take the game to a vulnerable opponent, not sit back. Opportunity missed

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
*smile* Arnie comes back and we're back to long balls into the box. Seriously, he's going to ruin us.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Thought we were very poor last night. tempo was terrible, especially in the first half. we looked frail at the back (Sainsbury of all people) and the ball movement lacked creativity.

I seriously question whether Mooy and Rogic are in our best starting 11 anymore. Hrustic is the future, along with Boyle, Mabil, Arzani, Ikonimidis, etc,

We are still in a reasonable position. Our next game is against Saudi Arabia in Sydney next month. need to win that.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Thought we were very poor last night. tempo was terrible, especially in the first half. we looked frail at the back (Sainsbury of all people) and the ball movement lacked creativity.

I seriously question whether Mooy and Rogic are in our best starting 11 anymore. Hrustic is the future, along with Boyle, Mabil, Arzani, Ikonimidis, etc,

We are still in a reasonable position. Our next game is against Saudi Arabia in Sydney next month. need to win that.

Yep, largely agree Ian... I thought we moved the ball well but turned it over too much, Irvine and Hrustic in particular. They are still regulars IMO though. Mooy still class on the ball but looked really slow. Rogic does a few magic things every game but starting to look a bit past it as well.

We still have a good core of young players, I guess arnie is trying to get the job done in qualifiers using all the old heads.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Mooy & others playing in China hampered by the domestic league being on hold the last couple of months, supposedly to help China's WC qualification preparations but also due to financial problems.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Yep, largely agree Ian... I thought we moved the ball well but turned it over too much, Irvine and Hrustic in particular. They are still regulars IMO though. Mooy still class on the ball but looked really slow. Rogic does a few magic things every game but starting to look a bit past it as well.

We still have a good core of young players, I guess arnie is trying to get the job done in qualifiers using all the old heads.

I'd agree with that. Hrustic wasn't great on Tuesday night (apart from the decent goal), but oozes class and should be the mainstay of our midfield for the next 2 world cup campaigns.

Happy for the old heads to play a part when needed, but I feel they should have gone with the 11 that got to 11 wins in a row to begin with.

Mooy & others playing in China hampered by the domestic league being on hold the last couple of months, supposedly to help China's WC qualification preparations but also due to financial problems.

very true. the owner of Guangzhou Evergrande (who have won 8 of the last 10 domestic titles) are on the verge of financial collapse

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'd agree with that. Hrustic wasn't great on Tuesday night (apart from the decent goal), but oozes class and should be the mainstay of our midfield for the next 2 world cup campaigns.

Happy for the old heads to play a part when needed, but I feel they should have gone with the 11 that got to 11 wins in a row to begin with.

very true. the owner of Guangzhou Evergrande (who have won 8 of the last 10 domestic titles) are on the verge of financial collapse

Yeah, Hrustic, Arzani (if he gets his head right), Souttar great young players.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, Hrustic, Arzani (if he gets his head right), Souttar great young players.

IMO, we have the best crop of kids coming through since the golden generation. I say this through gritted teeth, but Melbourne City deserve a lot of the credit for this. I also think we’re finally starting to see some results from the high participation rates.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

We still lack the ball control skill of the top quality countries. It was the turnovers that killed us; just couldn't keep the ball in the close contests or find the right pass to release pressure and move the ball into attack. Frequently just resorted to going backwards continually, which only enabled Japan to press up more and apply more pressure, either leading to a turnover in a dangerous position or one of those aimless long balls into the box as Baloo lamented. Overall, we were lucky Japan did not score another two; largely thanks to Ryan.

Thought Japan killed us for pace too. Behich was totally exposed and had an absolute shocker. Clearly if he is one of our best wingers, then we are not going to be highly competitive against the better teams. Excuses for Mooy I think but he is still our most classy player but Hrustic coming fast. Really surprised Arnie didn't try Arzani at all. Rogic missed some great opportunities. Just a bit slow and often taking the ball with his back to the play so cannot be very attacking. Some great abilities but not sure he is the answer. Failed to provide our strikers with enough chances.

Need a HG badly but wouldn't be marking SA down as a sure win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users