Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Disappointing result against China 1-1, now 3rd on the ladder, it's going to make it harder to qualify for World Cup.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Team seems to have 'hit a wall'. Looking more pedestrian each game. Latest results highlight the folly of not going for Japan's throat last month & knock them out of contention,allowing them to find confidence. Little margin for further error now.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Thise that follow it closer than Leysy, what do we need to do to auto qualify?

If miss out do we go to knockout against anyone?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
If we come third we'll have to play the 3rd placed team in group A for the right to play some other team from another confederation to win a spot in Qatar. That's what happened last time, we came third, had to beat Syria over 2 legs, then beat Honduras over 2 legs.

We're going to need to beat Japan at home and at least draw with KSA over there and win all other games to avoid this I'd say.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If we come third we'll have to play the 3rd placed team in group A for the right to play some other team from another confederation to win a spot in Qatar. That's what happened last time, we came third, had to beat Syria over 2 legs, then beat Honduras over 2 legs.

We're going to need to beat Japan at home and at least draw with KSA over there and win all other games to avoid this I'd say.

So top 2 qualify outright for the WC and 3rd goes to playoffs right?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Another victory for the dubious refereeing! Probably really dumb for Jeggo for waving both arms in the air when trying to defend a high ball in the box but came as much off the Chinese players head. But funny how the free kicks really turned remarkably in China's favour in the 2nd half - along with the penalty - as Chinese continually rewarded infringements for falling over (including their goalie) or rolling around on the ground in 'agony' for taps, but allowed to put their bodies into our guys all night. [Watch the captain of China almost insist on walking ref to look at the field video booth for penalty decision].

Overall, still find this sport such a rigged joke. China investing billions$ in the game and could have been eliminated by a loss - makes me very cynical. Such a waste for teams, players, money, effort when it all is determined by referee decisions. Not sure we deserve to even make the WC; won't get far even if we did! For both not being good enough, and not important/powerful/wealthy and influential enough a nation to ever go far.

Two sports I think we should forget about - soccer and Rugby Union. Pointless - will never become important enough in Australia, so therefore will always remain mediocre.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Jesus Christ again with the umpire conspiracy theories - I guess it's off season so you have to transfer that angst to the round ball game.

China hasn't made the WC finals for over a decade and will not make it this time - they made it once in 2002. And yet we've qualified for the last four world cups after being welcomed into the Asian Confederation even though it disadvantaged the stronger sides into the confed. Boom - there goes that theory.

The attitude of only taking part in sports we are the best in is bizarre. Take your own advice, forget about soccer and stop talking about things you have no idea about.

Last edited:

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
A-League starting will hopefully allow Leckie, McLaren & others to build match fitness for the remaining qualifiers.

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I haven't followed the Socceroos much at all lately, if at all...

but i watched the the Saudi game and it looked like our final third needs a whole lot of work...
players were ball watching ... a little inert ...

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Jesus Christ again with the umpire conspiracy theories - I guess it's off season so you have to transfer that angst to the round ball game.

China hasn't made the WC finals for over a decade and will not make it this time - they made it once in 2002. And yet we've qualified for the last four world cups after being welcomed into the Asian Confederation even though it disadvantaged the stronger sides into the confed. Boom - there goes that theory.

The attitude of only taking part in sports we are the best in is bizarre. Take your own advice, forget about soccer and stop talking about things you have no idea about.

Seemed a fairly clear penalty to me too. Whats the term they use these days, un-natural position of the arm. His arms were high and diverted the ball from the Chinese player attempting to head it. Not sure why Leon seems intent to think this is a stitchup.

Chinese National football is not a big deal, certainly not enough to bribe officials over. As you say, they are basically out whether they drew yesterday anyway.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

No need to reveal my true identity, but again same old naive gullibility. Unlike you, I examine umpiring decisions closely looking at the slomo replays via streaming viewing. Many of your posts reveal you miss much, including subtleties. You tend to be the "whatever the umps say type; it must be right ... because ... they're the umps!"
I conceded Jeggo was asking for trouble; I'm not sure whether you need to throw both arms into the air for balance if jumping backwards to defend with your head. However, it was flirting with danger and minor arm contact occurred. I'd say inadvertently ; whether that's worthy of a penalty goal, going a long way to decide the match, I'm doubtful. Another reason I don't regard this over-rated and vastly over-priced sport that highly. But Fox Sports went with header (that I only saw long after posting) "Brutal VAR burns Soccerroos ...". Andy Harper, the match special comments man - “They should send the VAR through to the lab to split the atom because they have just split the hair. I’m dumbfounded, to be honest.” Whatever you think of him, he must be a far more knowledgeable expert on the game than me or you I'd say!

Saw the halftime stats and China were way ahead in fouls committed. By the end of a match where we led possession 60/40 and passes 401/187, we were now ahead on fouls 14/10. If you actually looked closely, you would have noticed Chinese players going down for very minor or even no real contact (like the goalie late). Rolling around as if shot; wasting vital game-time which is never accurately counted and added on (as in AFL timekeeping). So inferior or defensively-stretched teams know that they can waste heaps of time that will never be accountable; thus increasing the chances of holding back a superior team and perhaps limiting their scoring opps. Especially when having reached an advantageous result.

The fact about China's previous qualifying failures only makes them more desperate to make progress, aided by the vast $$$ invested, along with their vaulting national pride mission currently. The ' trio of naturalised Brazilians' came in handy too (but we certainly have a team composed of many migrant/naturalised Aussies, yes). But I'll leave it you re China's record in other sports broadly and use of financial incentives holistically. I'm sure you'd never be 'naive or gullible' about that. My cynicism is as more about this joke of a game as China who are very similar to many other nations in terms of what lengths they are prepared to go to e.g. see the Russians. Even if China is unlikely to proceed, ever heard of the role of saving face in oriental cultures? Could address the Confed League business, where what you claim is cringe-worthy, but wasted enough time on this.

Fans like you may relish sports where umpiring can have a major influence on results. What happened in the match against Italy when we actually got the furthest ever in an Australian WC campaign?

But, come to think of it, WC soccer is absolutely the greatest game for the naive or gullible. FIFA have such a peerless ethical history, don't they, little Ant?
Stand by everything I said, as opinions I can argue for and support. Won't bother explaining on RU. But many intelligent sports followers could easily see where I'm coming from.

What you show me monotonously is your (perhaps appropriately), small-man thinking. You still sound like the little twerp, teacher's-pet type at school that sits up front and gazes adoringly at the teacher, and stars at reporting any misdemeanors spotted done by the naughty boys near the back. Whatever the teacher or ref says must be indisputable.

What's bizarre is you truly believe your own little twerp outlook is the only possible perspective!

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
So the Soccerooos are duds again ................... :))
It's a moot question. Despite some appearance of success such as WC qualifications, is the game actually progressing in Australia, or stagnant? Despite reasonably significant governmental and private investments?
Where are the burgeoning stars? How many players actually good enough to play with a truly premier league club overseas?
Less than 20/30 years ago? Because the rest of the world have moved on past us? Look at the numbers of quality players now pouring out of Africa, South and Central America as always, but now Asia too with Japanese and Koreans; and even more from North America.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
No need to reveal my true identity, but again same old naive gullibility. Unlike you, I examine umpiring decisions closely looking at the slomo replays via streaming viewing. Many of your posts reveal you miss much, including subtleties. You tend to be the "whatever the umps say type; it must be right ... because ... they're the umps!"
I conceded Jeggo was asking for trouble; I'm not sure whether you need to throw both arms into the air for balance if jumping backwards to defend with your head. However, it was flirting with danger and minor arm contact occurred. I'd say inadvertently ; whether that's worthy of a penalty goal, going a long way to decide the match, I'm doubtful. Another reason I don't regard this over-rated and vastly over-priced sport that highly. But Fox Sports went with header (that I only saw long after posting) "Brutal VAR burns Soccerroos ...". Andy Harper, the match special comments man - “They should send the VAR through to the lab to split the atom because they have just split the hair. I’m dumbfounded, to be honest.” Whatever you think of him, he must be a far more knowledgeable expert on the game than me or you I'd say!

Saw the halftime stats and China were way ahead in fouls committed. By the end of a match where we led possession 60/40 and passes 401/187, we were now ahead on fouls 14/10. If you actually looked closely, you would have noticed Chinese players going down for very minor or even no real contact (like the goalie late). Rolling around as if shot; wasting vital game-time which is never accurately counted and added on (as in AFL timekeeping). So inferior or defensively-stretched teams know that they can waste heaps of time that will never be accountable; thus increasing the chances of holding back a superior team and perhaps limiting their scoring opps. Especially when having reached an advantageous result.

The fact about China's previous qualifying failures only makes them more desperate to make progress, aided by the vast $$$ invested, along with their vaulting national pride mission currently. The ' trio of naturalised Brazilians' came in handy too (but we certainly have a team composed of many migrant/naturalised Aussies, yes). But I'll leave it you re China's record in other sports broadly and use of financial incentives holistically. I'm sure you'd never be 'naive or gullible' about that. My cynicism is as more about this joke of a game as China who are very similar to many other nations in terms of what lengths they are prepared to go to e.g. see the Russians. Even if China is unlikely to proceed, ever heard of the role of saving face in oriental cultures? Could address the Confed League business, where what you claim is cringe-worthy, but wasted enough time on this.

Fans like you may relish sports where umpiring can have a major influence on results. What happened in the match against Italy when we actually got the furthest ever in an Australian WC campaign?

But, come to think of it, WC soccer is absolutely the greatest game for the naive or gullible. FIFA have such a peerless ethical history, don't they, little Ant?
Stand by everything I said, as opinions I can argue for and support. Won't bother explaining on RU. But many intelligent sports followers could easily see where I'm coming from.

What you show me monotonously is your (perhaps appropriately), small-man thinking. You still sound like the little twerp, teacher's-pet type at school that sits up front and gazes adoringly at the teacher, and stars at reporting any misdemeanors spotted done by the naughty boys near the back. Whatever the teacher or ref says must be indisputable.

What's bizarre is you truly believe your own little twerp outlook is the only possible perspective!
You've been told @AngryAnt !

In Australia we are lucky the AFL is run by such fair and upstanding people.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users