Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Houllier to fill Hiddink void
By Joe Bernstein and Tom Smithies
July 3, 2006

FOOTBALL Federation Australia supremo Frank Lowy has got his man, with Gerard Houllier accepting the challenge of coaching Australia, according to English newspaper reports overnight.

Houllier, who has been chased for months by the FFA at Lowy's behest, has reportedly agreed to the deal put to him two weeks ago, in which he will see out the remaining year of his contract with French club Lyon before taking over the Socceroos.

But sources in Australia last night cautioned against taking Houllier's arrival for granted until he had put pen to paper on a legally binding contract.

Current assistant coach Graham Arnold will be asked to pilot the Socceroos for the next 12 months through their Asian Cup qualifiers.

Houllier's deal will reportedly earn him a potential $20 million over four years, but much of that is dependent on the team's onfield success, specifically qualification for and success at the 2010 World Cup.

FFA chief executive John O'Neill had given Houllier until the day after the World Cup final to decide, after a courtship that has seen more twists than a teenage romance, including apparent confusion on Houllier's part over when he could seek a release from Lyon.

Accepting the offer will bring Houllier back into the international fold, 12 years after he quit the job as France coach because of their failure to qualify for the 1994 World Cup.

Among the various conditions attached to the offer were that Houllier would spend at least as much time in Australia as in Europe, and that he would oversee the reform of the national coaching system that the FFA plans to instigate.

The Frenchman's background in developing the elite French academy at Clairefontaine was one of the reasons Lowy was so set on him to replace Hiddink, with the hope being he would act as a technical director in charge of coaching reform.

Houllier, often criticised for his lack of success in the English Premier League when manager of Liverpool, has been a huge success in France, taking Lyon to its fifth championship title last season.

The Daily Telegraph

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?s=community_newsfeatures_news_news_item

FFA Statement on Gerard Houllier
Monday, 3 July 2006
In response to media reports from the United Kingdom, Football Federation Australia today advised that no agreement had been reached with Gerard Houllier to coach the Qantas Socceroos.

An FFA spokesperson, said:

“Contrary to media reports, the FFA has not signed an agreement with Gerard Houllier for the position of Head Coach of the Qantas Socceroos.

"Talks regarding the Australian Head Coach position are continuing with a number of candidates, including Gerard Houllier.”

© Football Federation Australia

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Hopefully not Houllier or Eriksson.

If they do sign Houllier, hope its only for 2 years....see how he goes in the lead-up to the Asian Champs.

Remembering Hiddink only has 2 years at Russia in the lead-up to Euro.Champs....so if the planets align, we might still yet get Hiddink back for the 2 years in the lead-up to the 2010 World Cup...while having used Houllier's experience in youth development:

Door open for Hiddink return
- AAP

Guus Hiddink will not rule out a return to the Socceroos coaching job after his contract with the Russian national team expires, it has been reported.

Hiddink is contracted to coach Russia for the next two years.

"I am sad that it is finished," Hiddink was quoted as saying by The Sydney Morning Herald. "On one hand it is a joy to work with the players, a joy to work with the staff, and with the FFA."

"I am also enriched because I met a lot of people in Australia in a short time and I am a little bit sad that it has ended."

"We don't know what will happen in two or three years and by that time I am an old man and they might say that they don't want me any more but I am not at the end because I feel energetic and the boys give me a lot of energy."

Hiddink said he had returned to coaching jobs before and he would be staying in contact with Australian football.

"I went back to (Dutch club) PSV (Eindhoven) after I had success there the first time and then went back and restructured the club a little bit," he said. "I don't say no to Australia because it is too far away."

"In the meantime, I am going to Russia - but I am sure that even though I don't have a job [in Australia], I will visit."

"Sometimes when I am by myself then I feel a lot of emotion about these players. What I like about them is that I could be tough to them but I respected them and they respected me."

and

Mixed views on Houllier
- AAP

As speculation mounted that Frenchman Gerard Houllier is to become the new Socceroos coach, opinions were mixed on the possible appointment.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) issued a statement denying a British newspaper report that it had already secured Houllier to replace Guus Hiddink.

It said the former France and Liverpool coach was one of 'a number of candidates' it was continuing talks with.

The Mail On Sunday claimed Houllier had accepted the Socceroos job and would be allowed to honour the final year of his contract with French champions Lyon before concentrating fulltime on getting Australia to the 2010 World Cup.

Commenting on the report, Socceroo star Tim Cahill sang Houllier's praises.

"I know Gerard Houllier on a personal level. Great man," Cahill told radio station 2UE. "He's had a great run in the Champions League and he's absolutely massive in the world game."

Former Socceroos midfielder turned SBS football analyst Craig Foster believed there were better options out there.

"I think the French are excellent but I think there are better people than Houllier," said Foster. "Nonetheless, he would still be a very good appointment.

"You've got a guy there Henri Michel who just coached the Ivory Coast, they played fantastic football. He has immense experience and he's also been technical director of France."

Foster said he had heard Houllier would leave Lyon and return to a technical director position in France.

He cautioned that, if Houllier was available, the FFA should not look to capitalise on his reputation for building France's development program by combining the head coach job with that of technical director.

"That's the value of him (Houllier), you would get several of the jobs wrapped up in one," Foster said. "I just don't think you can combine the two jobs. Personally I prefer a TD (technical director) and then a national coach."

Foster said the role of technical director was more important for Australian football than the head coaching appointment.

"You separate the roles. You can't ask someone to be national coach which is a big job in itself...go to Europe to look after the guys and also restructure the game," he said.

"People can underestimate how much restructuring we need. It's an immense job."

Houllier built his reputation overseeing the French development program that produced the golden generation that won the 1998 World Cup, 2000 European championship and now as an ageing side has qualified for the World Cup semi-finals in Germany.

He was coach of France when it failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup after conceding a last-minute goal in its final qualifying match.

He has long been targeted by FFA chairman Frank Lowy to take over from Hiddink, who is to become Russia's new coach.

Houllier won the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup treble with Liverpool in 2000 but also suffered from heart trouble and was sacked for failing to improve the club's performances in the Premier League.

Socceroos assistant coach Graham Arnold is likely to take over as caretaker coach before the new head coach's arrival, having responsibility for guiding the team in next month's Asian Cup qualifiers against Kuwait in Sydney (August 16) and Lebanon in Adelaide (August 31

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A reminder that if articles are posted we have to include the links please . :)

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
DirtyDogTiger said:
maybe we should target Rafael Benitez, I like his attitude  :hihi

Funnily enough mate, when Houllier announced he was leaving Liverpool, I was hoping they'd get Hiddink to replace him, especially after his World Cup odyssey with South Korea...success with PSV...and he had done wel with Holland and Barca as well.

So when the Socceroos appointed Hiddink, I was extremely happy!

Love to see Rafa coach the 'Roos one day, but it won't happen for a while yet mate....we got a League title to win this season coming first! ;)

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
mb64 said:
Wait for Gus. Hopefully he'll only do the Russia job for 2 years.
Wishful thinking MB...... we're still waiting for them to return Harold Holt.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
now we are in the asia cup in a comp of 16

we have to come 1 or 2 in our group of 4.

then if we win our semi we qualify for the 2010 World cup

C'mon Aussies - we just can't miss :clap

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Yep, watched the game last night...great to get the win! :clap

Couldn't believe some people on SEN during the day picking the Socceroos to win 4-0 and 6-0... ::)...it was never going to happen when we were fielding such an inexperienced team, who have hardly (if ever) played together, certainly on that type of stage, in front of that type of atmosphere.

Important we got the result though....good stuff! 8)