Social media | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Social media

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
There is an article in today's paper, that mentions clubs have spent a lot of time going through draft kids Facebook, Twitter etc
To evaluate them before being selected. To see if they're rat bags.
Is it that important? Martin would've never have been drafted if that was the case 10 years ago.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Employers do it now, better than a reference supplied by a friend.
If you're a *smile* on social media, you're a *smile* everywhere.
Best true character reference.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
bigwow said:
Employers do it now, better than a reference supplied by a friend.
If you're a *smile* on social media, you're a *smile* everywhere.
Best true character reference.

Yep I do it too. You learn plenty. But not sure any 18yo would come across favourably. Can't imagine too many selfies in front of the church on Sundays

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Has been happening for a long time, nothing new. Knew a kid drafted about 5 years ago. He was warned to be very careful what was posted on social media then. He was and got drafted, going well at Brisbane.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
zippadeee said:
There is an article in today's paper, that mentions clubs have spent a lot of time going through draft kids Facebook, Twitter etc
To evaluate them before being selected. To see if they're rat bags.
Is it that important? Martin would've never have been drafted if that was the case 10 years ago.

I guess it could certainly affect your ranking but if a kid can play like dusty, you take him.
You just take him, problems or not.
End of the day the offended lefties can only tweet about it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
DirtyDogTiger said:
I guess it could certainly affect your ranking but if a kid can play like dusty, you take him.
You just take him, problems or not.
End of the day the offended lefties can only tweet about it.

your obsession with 'lefties' is ridiculous.

clubs are trying to avoid drafting the next Bennell, or Taylor, or Angwin, not trying to avoid offending anyone.

the dusty comparison is a bad one too. while he may have had a few rough edges, he was also football obsessed.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Brodders17 said:
your obsession with 'lefties' is ridiculous.

clubs are trying to avoid drafting the next Bennell, or Taylor, or Angwin, not trying to avoid offending anyone.

the dusty comparison is a bad one too. while he may have had a few rough edges, he was also football obsessed.
I don't think he did a lot of social medua, either. He didn't appear to be an out there sort of kid when he was drafted. Shane Edwards has spoken about how incredibly shy he was off field.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
The Big Richo said:
That's just not true.

Dustin's behaviour and personality is probably the most overblown myth in football.

Yes he has been a scallywag and had the occasional ordinary moment on the drink but for the most part he is a quiet, shy, polite young man who does harm to no-one.

It has always amazed me to see just how much negative press Dustin has received, seemingly from when he was first drafted. I understand many people are fearful of anyone who doesn't appear to fit into the prescribed box of regular and these same people just love to both judge and label anyone sitting outside that box. Unfortunately for Dustin, when enough mud is thrown some of it will always stick, although, I must say it has been interesting to watch the apparent backflip from the media over the past few years.

From what I've seen of Dustin, especially as he has mutured and grown into his potential, he still has an aura of gentleness around him. To me, that gentleness shone through on the night of the Brownlow in 2017. If you watch Dustin closely you can see that despite being clearly uncomfortable in the spotlight and despite many people slamming Bruce M. for his interviewing techniques, Dustin is relying on Bruce to help draw the information and the words the audience were waiting to hear from him. Watch Dustin as he carefully watches Bruce between questions and the kindness and gentleness in his gaze clearly show the the real Dustin.

For those who may often wonder why "Dusty" is so popular with the kids and the not so die-hard fans who perhaps don't fully understand or appreciate the incredible talent he brings to the game, this gentleness in his energy is why - people, and children especially, are drawn to his energy. As an introverted personality I suspect this would have made his younger years quite difficult even without the level of fame he has garnered along the way.