Soft tissue injuries | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Soft tissue injuries

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I was chatting with a doctor friend the other night and we entered into an interesting discussion (despite the fact he's a Collingwood supporter) about the recent increase in soft tissue injuries. We discussed the usual issues about things like overtraining etc.. but he came up with one thing that I hadn't thought of and that was how grounds have become much firmer due to improved drainage technologies. This coupled with the improved physical fitness of players means harder running and jumping on harder grounds which may explain the increase in soft tissue injuries.

The other interesting fact is the comparison between Rugby League and AFL. Whilst the games are quite different in styles of play, They are both physical contact sports where running and evading are part of play and yet there are hardly any osteitis pubis injuries in Rugby league. Could this be because nearly every Rugby league ground is purpose built and the grounds are much softer under foot and a lot of AFL is played on cricket grounds which are by nature much firmer?

Maybe I'm talking crap but I think there is some validity in my argument.