SOS appointed list manager at the Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SOS appointed list manager at the Saints

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I know it's never acceptable to inject facts that contradict a good PRE kicking of an opponent, but I am baffled by the knocks on Silvagni as a list manager.

He started at GWS in 2011 from scratch, the side finished top 4 by 2016 and made a Grand Final in 2019.

He started at Carlton in 2014, finished in 2019 and that list looks ready to mature into a finals making side now as well and probably should have started last year, despite all the coaching upheaval in those years.

People can pick out all the micros of individual draft picks and priority picks but if the macro of a list manager is to create a list capable of playing finals and contending then he is miles ahead of most.
Maybe, but he's had about 5,500 early first round picks during his time, been sacked twice n ultimately achieved three fifths of SFA in that time. Much of what happens at Carlscum since he left there hangs on the players they've poached in recent years to support n supplement all the early first round stars that are already fully matured.

Reactions: 3 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
SoS's Giants raid-Summer/A.Phillips/Whiley/Palmer/Plowman/Jaksch/Lamb/Marchbank/J.Pickett.
Vs Blair
Townsend/Hopper & Tarranto.

Say no more.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Now that Gilligan has got his adulter mate in the CEO chair at the aints expect them to be gifted all sorts of favours. Aint's will overtake Geesook for favours from here.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Silvagni took over as list manager of a Carlton team that had 3 no1 picks already on its list, plus Patrick Cripps, and was a year removed from playing finals. Nearly 10 years later Carlton still havent played finals again.
I am not sure how anyone could call that a success.
(and keep in mind he was list manager not recruiter so he shouldnt get the credit for individual selections like Curnow and McKay.)
Well they clearly can!

He started at Carlton in 2014, finished in 2019 and that list looks ready to mature into a finals making side now as well and probably should have started last year, despite all the coaching upheaval in those years.

People can pick out all the micros of individual draft picks and priority picks but if the macro of a list manager is to create a list capable of playing finals and contending then he is miles ahead of most.

I like these bits -

that list looks ready to mature into a finals making side
probably should have started last year
despite coaching upheaval
create a list capable of playing finals
miles ahead of most

Talk about excuses, almost half the bloody sides make finals. And low benchmarks.

I wonder who is included in "most"!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Well they clearly can!

I like these bits -

that list looks ready to mature into a finals making side
probably should have started last year
despite coaching upheaval
create a list capable of playing finals
miles ahead of most

Talk about excuses, almost half the bloody sides make finals. And low benchmarks.

it can be hard for outsiders to truly judge ones performance , but hey that wont stop us :)

my gut feel is SOS wants the spotlight and knee jerk is too big a part of his decision making

how much has Carlton paid for Jack Martin and the long list of GWS players

you sort of get the feeling that its too close to what we pay for Tom , Dion ,and our 2 GWS and they are NOT same - same

so where does the difference fall out ? Depth

we had significant injuries during the year in 2019 & 2020 and still made the finals , thank you depth players
the rest is history and those depth players are the likes of Miles , Lloyd, Chol , CCJ , Egg etc

We dont see or hear much from our football dept. , they don't seek the spotlight

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Carlton finished last the year he took over and the next four were Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon and St Kilda.

Brisbane have done well in the interim but if I had to pick which one of them will contend for a flag next I'm with Carlton.

Will be very interesting to revisit this topic in the next 2 seasons I reckon.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Carlton finished last the year he took over and the next four were Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon and St Kilda.

Brisbane have done well in the interim but if I had to pick which one of them will contend for a flag next I'm with Carlton.

If Curnow/Weitering/Mackay and Walsh stay healthy it will go a long way to them performing well. If you hindsight drafted 2015 you would likely draft 2 of the 3 he did. And Oliver.

His best work may have been hood-winking the tigers over Chris Yarran and getting PIck 19. But he wasted it on David Cunningham.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

The year he took over was 2014- the Blues finished 13th, above the likes of the Lions, the Dees and the Dogs. They won 7 games and drew 1, with a % of 89. In his last season at the Blooze, they finished 16, winning 7 games with a % of 84. the following year they won 7 games again, and in 2021 they won 8 games. In his 5 years in charge they made no progress.

Reactions: 2 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Waiting for SOS to recruit the players he recruited from Carlton, that he originally recruited from the GWS, because the man just won't admit that he's wrong.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I am actually coming around to the idea that Silvagni will be a good appointment for the Saints. Assuming Silvagni can replicate his success at Carlton, and assuming 2023 is the year all good work pays off and they make the finals, St. Kilda fans should be making sure they don't book holidays in Sept 2031.

Reactions: 1 user