Sound problems with Win 98 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sound problems with Win 98

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Hiya people who know about computers.
My sis has an old pc that runs Win 98 and she can't get the sound to work with the new speakers.
Unless I go to her place I can't really guide her through what to do from my PC as it runs win 2000, so the menu options are different.
Is it a driver problem and if so, how do I fix it??
Any help would be greatly accepted.

before you go to her place I suggest.

get her to make sure they are plugged in to the correct sockets.  Use different combinations to see if it works.
make sure they are turned on - do they get power independent of the PC?

If you have to go to her place, then find out what make/brand the sound card is - you'll have to undo the PC.
Google the sound card name looking for WIN 98 drivers.
Install
See what happens.

This is the extent of my knowledge, but I have got an old Win 98 PC lying around somewhere and can look up how to set up sound for you if needed.

Cheers and best of luck.

WIN98 - yuk.

Thanks poppa x :clap
She has checked that they are plugged in, and when she turns them on they make a 'schsch' type sound. But then when she tries to play a cd, although it shows as playing on the sound bar, no sound actuall comes out.
Is there any way she can check which sound card is in there without opening the pc, like you can with Win 2000?

Tigerdog said:
Thanks poppa x  :clap
She has checked that they are plugged in, and when she turns them on they make a 'schsch' type sound. But then when she tries to play a cd, although it shows as playing on the sound bar, no sound actuall comes out.
Is there any way she can check which sound card is in there without opening the pc, like you can with Win 2000?

in Win98 you have to open the box I'm afraid.

Some PCs have a keyboard which not only can adjust volume +/- but also mute it (turn off). Some PC's also have a software control to turn the volume off. Perhaps you should check?

TD,
I'll be watching this one closely
The kids pc has the same problem, also running Win 98.

I can get CD's to play with the cd player that came with Win 98.
But I cant get any sound through games or windows media player.

I reckon its a driver problem