SPOKE TO GREG BECK | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SPOKE TO GREG BECK

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I bumped into Greg Beck after training last week. I must say that he's a nice bloke (that doesn't excuse some of his poor drafting though) and he was happy to talk to me.

I pretty much went straight for the jugular and asked him on behalf of everyone at PRE - Why the hell did he draft Fiora ahead of Pavlich??. He said that Fiora was rated the second best midfielder in the draft by most clubs (behind Hasleby who was drafted at pick 2). He had a sensational 1999 season with Port Adelaide Magpies that included a couple of BOGs in the finals.We
needed a midfielder at the time and went for him as Pavlich was not regarded as a midfielder but more Key position. He also went onto say that Fremantle at the time were spewing they didn't get Fiora and had they had pick 3 and not pick 4 they too would have drafted Fiora ahead of Pavlich!!!! Unbelievable how one player has come on and the other hasn't. Went onto say that he still believes Fiora will be a good player and I said that he may well be but he won't be as good as Pavlich.

I wanted to ask him about Pettifer also but we were interupted and he was going to the Under 18 championships. He also said that Miller has been very active in assisting him with recruiting.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Good work Boss. No doubt Pavlich wil lbe the better player, that is undisputable. I do think Fiora when he bulks up will come good, and i do agree with Beck at the time he was highly touted ahead of Pavlich and had a better SANFL season than Pavlich did

I know the SA media stil lbelieve Fiora is good and many were surprised he wasnt playing Saturday night as htey still think he has a huge future.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I'm glad they rate Fiora in SA Shawry as we might get something decent for him when we trade him at the end of the year.

As for Greg Beck, he can go back to Collingwood where we got him from and Noel Judkins can come back to us.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Excellent report Boss. Shame you we're interrupted as I would have like to see him explain why Pettifer was selected ahead of Steady Eddie! (the comedian) ;D

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Good work Boss. I get the feeling Beck really knows how to talk the talk.

He really deserves a tongue lashing for the *smile* he has delivered us.

Please Greg explain the following;
1. Fiora
2. Pettifer
3. Poyas
4. Mills
5. Homewood
7. Steinfort
8. Hudson
9. Matthew Grieg
10. James White

Wanker!!

hungry1

eat em alive tigers
Apr 4, 2003
melbourne
Great post "The Boss".

I can distictly remember when Kevin Sheahen (the guru of young talent) was asked after that draft who out of any of the draftees had the potential of winning a Brownlow he didn't hesitate and named Fiora.

The question it then raises is not necessarily the recruiting but the ability to develop young talent once arriving at Punt Road. We have had a very poor record of developing young talent and have had very few Norwich (or whatever the current name is) Rising Stars in recent years.

I wonder whether the recruiting aspect is the problem or whether it is the ability to ensure a young blokes potential is fulfilled.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Good point flea.

When Frawley was assistant to Shaw down at Collingwood he was predominantly in charge of developing youngsters. In the 3 years since Malthouse took over there were only 7 players left from the original list he inherited. Says something about Frawley's development credentials.

I wonder if the negative style of play that Frawley favours might be hindering the development of some of our young kids like Fiora.

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
TigerFurious said:
I wonder if the negative style of play that Frawley favours might be hindering the development of some of our young kids like Fiora.

No doubt about it. He is a dud in every aspect.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
i too wonder about the development issue that has been raised here.

It seems like the guys who have come on have done so by taking an opportunity by the scruff of the neck rather than well thought out development strategies ala Cogs, Newman and Rodan.

We seem to persist with this Coburg-Tigers (5 minutes game Time) - Coburg development strategy. Surely this can't be good for the youngster.

Also wonder the same thing about MILLS who was touted as a prospect early on.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Mills was unlucky to have a lot of injuries when he started out year after year. Ithink the kid is ok, would be interested to hear an inside view as to his situation though.

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Shawry, I have said it before, Mills is an absolute hack, never was a footballers bottom hole, but somehow managed to get picked up and last 4 years on an AFL list.

He was flattered in his TAC days being in the best team going around, but he is a spastic.

He is another bloke who in his 4 years has managed to resemble a stick insect. Now he had wrist problems, but his physical development is laughable, and there is no way he is capable of making an impression at senior level.

For a laugh, go and watch Andrew Mills chase an opponent. The only thing that changes from him jogging to sprinting is the expression on his face ;D

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
ive said it once ill say it again frawley couldnt nurture a potato let alone a group of kids ;D