Spud's Contract | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Spud's Contract

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A few people have posted that Miller was correct to remove the get out clause in Spud's contract because such a clause could make Spud coach for his own longevity rather than for the benefit of the tem.

How do people feel about articles where Miller and Casey keep saying Spud is safe, the players respect him, he has the team travelling well etc.

To me it seems to give Spud immunity from blame for the teams performances. He knows his job is there next year, no questions asked.

I wish they'd either tell the truth or shut up. Surely Spud is at least part of the problem.

Maybe they're trying to convince themselves more than trying to convince us.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
thats what they were doin for the last 2 years. i think they should just shut up and keep quite. maybe this way we will be able to perform better, when there is no pressure on the club.

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
I want to know why players are coming out and saying "we aren't playing to the game plan", what is it about the game plan that they can't stick to?

It is obvioulsy unplayable. I think Wayne Campbell as Captain needs to do something, he is supposed to represent the players isn't he. By the way has anyone seen him smiling lately. I heard there is a reward for the first person that gets a picture flashing those pearly whites.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Firstly Rosy I still think that the clause should have been removed. I believe it was unfair to Spud and committed him to quick fixes. It would have been more prudent to wiat before offering a contract extension in the first place.

Having said that I am not sure that Spud would have done anything differently anyway, but if we have such clauses in future contract we would never attract a coach who understand that we have to recruit for the future as they would know that first we will have to go backwards before we can go forward, largely due to our pathetic list management. It is all pretty much a catch 22 situation really.

Like you I wish they would just take the advice of their communications manager and stop making these blind faith comments.

Spud has been in charge of the list for 4 years so surely they must admit that he is partly responsible. I do however concede that he was hamstrung to a degree with the likes of the Bourke contract etc, but that does not excuse his recruitment of the likes of Biddiscombe, Houlihan, Hudson and co.

If they persist with all these media statement our credibility is seriously at stake. Thats if it aint damaged enough already

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Knowing that next year might well be his last, Mr Potatohead will recruit and coach accordingly.........he will neglect youth and recruit and persist with the Flemings and Houlihans of this world.............It will be groundhog day next year. Casey and Miller need to be held accountable for this.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I hardly think you can blame Greg Miller.

He has only been there for what 8 months or so and most of the playing list he has not been able to have any influence over at this stage.

Of course he is going to defend the coach.
Do we honestly think that he would publicly bag the coach before the end of the season?

Give Miller some time. He is one of only a few people down at the club that has had some success in his time. We need to give personnel such as him a chance to make a difference.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
No YT, I don't expect Miller to publicly bag Spud. I just think people would prefer honesty.

There is no way Danny has the team going as well as Greg and Clinton tell us.

The way they talk to members is condescending in my opinion.

People can see the results for themselves, some of the club articles are an insult to people's intelligence.

I just think they need to be very respectful of members if they want them to sign up next season.

If they think the club is working to rectify things they are more likely to be supportive than if they read that people from the club think everything is travelling along just fine.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Yeah Fair points Rosy. I accept what you say.

It is disappointing to read some of the quotes from the powers that be in the club. You would think that nothing is wrong and that our performances have been reasonable.

I don't want like knocking people or players, but as much as we probably overperformed in 2001, we have clearly underperformed in 2002 and 2003.

With the list of players that we have, we should be better than a bottom four side.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
rosy3 said:
No YT, I don't expect Miller to publicly bag Spud. I just think people would prefer honesty.

There is no way Danny has the team going as well as Greg and Clinton tell us.

The way they talk to members is condescending in my opinion.

People can see the results for themselves, some of the club articles are an insult to people's intelligence.

I just think they need to be very respectful of members if they want them to sign up next season.

If they think the club is working to rectify things they are more likely to be supportive than if they read that people from the club think everything is travelling along just fine.
It's nothing more than a bit of harmless spin doctoring, you all know how it works.
You just sneak up real close to someone you want to impress and whisper sweet nothings into thier ear to make them feel all warm and cosy and hope like hell they dont realise that the warm is from where youve been pissin in thier pockets.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Young Tiger said:
Yeah Fair points Rosy. I accept what you say.

It is disappointing to read some of the quotes from the powers that be in the club. You would think that nothing is wrong and that our performances have been reasonable.

I don't want like knocking people or players, but as much as we probably overperformed in 2001, we have clearly underperformed in 2002 and 2003.

With the list of players that we have, we should be better than a bottom four side.
YT with the list that weve got we should be bottom 2