Squads for Sydney practice game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Squads for Sydney practice game

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Sydney v Richmond, SCG, Saturday, 15 March, 1pm

Sydney: 20 Luke Ablett, Jason Ball, Leo Barry, Craig Bolton, Jude Bolton, Jared Crouch, Nick Davis, Nic Fosdike, Adam Goodes, Barry Hall, Tadhg Kennelly, Brett Kirk, Ben Mathews, Stuart Maxfield, Daniel Mcpherson, Matthew Nicks, Ryan O'Keefe, Mark Powell, Jason Saddington, Andrew Schauble, Adam Schneider, Scott Stevens, Rowan Warfe, Paul Williams

Richmond: Rory Hilton, Darren Gaspar, Mark Coughlan, Duncan Kellaway, Jay Schulz, Matthew Rogers, Bill Nicholls, Mark Chaffey, Kane Johnson, Wayne Campbell, Chris Hyde, Greg Stafford, Greg Tivendale, Joel Bowden, Matthew Richardson, Justin Blumfield, Chris Newman, Aaron Fiora, Leon Cameron, , Adam Pickering, Andrew Kellaway, David Rodan, Royce Vardy, Ray Hall, Clinton King, Adam Houlihan.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Fairly much a full strength swans line-up. Be a good test as we head into the season without Otto. Just one ask - no more injuries please!!!! :'(

Pickering is getting a run. I wonder if the club is thinking of promoting him to the senior list to replace Otto.

Richo is named even though some people here mentioned him feeling his hamstring last week around the time he went off the ground.

Razor named. Thank goodness. Don't need another big man to go down.

Rosy is smiling. Diggles cursing. Means one thing. Dunc's back ;).

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
No Marty Mcgrath but - attitude maybe??

The whole thing that he is too skinny is tripe. He's a kilo or to heavier than Krak and taller too.

A

admin

What do you know about Marty's attitude mongrel? Hope we don't have another Ezra scenerio.
I just assume Marty not being paraded in the pre season means he isn't figuring in the short term plans for the senior team.
I was looking at Marty and Krak together at Carlton last Sat.
The stats might lie. Krak looks solid. I could put my fingers around Marty's very skinny little legs.
I suspect he's more a long term prospect.

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
Rossie, you must have sat near me (near spud at the coaches box), I saw Krak and Marty walk past too.

I just read on another thread that Dunc said at a function that Marty was a prospect, howcver he had to have the right attititude (what ever that meant).

I remember almost to the day 12 months ago that I watched Marty in one of his first ever practice matches for the club against the blues.

He stood out like dog balls, and that was before he was a premature cult figure taking big grabs (at the time Rodan was the emerging cult figure - and a great choice too).

See, last year when Richmond was screaming out for an x factor in the forward line - they kept trying the same tricks with little result (Krak, Pet, Rodan, etc), however the one guy doing something in the magoos was Marty.

Yet, the club continued with the line "development stage" - wait for next year. Now next year has arrived and still no Marty McGrath, except for a token game in Geraldton to appease his family (I heard he asked for 160 tickets and they hitched from Perth).

What has the club got lose playing him in practice games. Lets see if he can handle the big boys. I'd hate to see him end up like Plapp.

I really think Marty can be something special and I just don't by the whole skinny thing.

A

admin

Haha apologies accepted.
I agree there is a tad too much obsession with weight.
Some top players have been light. Some guys could lose their natural attributes if they are artificially built up .
There probably isn't a perfect mould, but if you saw Marty's legs you'd have to agree they are tiny, ha. They have a decent spring in them just the same. I can't wait to see Marty play seniors, I'm with you 100% on that one.

I just spoke on the phone to my son who's having his first run in the Ovens Murray League, a big step up for him. He's 190cm and about 70kg, and he just said to me "those players are so big and strong Mum, they just knock me all around the place like a little *smile*." Sometimes skinny isn't good, ha.

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
At 186cm and around 70kg, myself I can relate to your son being knocked around on the field. My advice is: hit them from behind, do the Peter Filandia and the Hoppawati (buggered if I can spell that no necks name) and never let them treat you like a b!tch in change rooms (the whole soap scam is something to look out for).

Or

Take their name and jumper number and wait until he fills out and seek his revenge.

Or

Quit footy, buy a Tiger mebership and get down to the 'G' (that was the option I took).

And Rosy, I probably didn't check out Marty's legs like you did - so I'll take your word for it. :)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I remember Danny saying something last year regarding Marty I think it was before the London game when he said he would play there (he didn't did he?) and mentioned something about him being unleashed on the footy world next year (03) or words to that effect.
Which makes me think either they are still trying to 'hide' him away for a surprise attack on some teams in the year,(maybe now they will have to do it sooner than they wanted) or Miller has seen something in his attitude to losing or whatever(pure speculation there).
Stuff hiding Marty away I agree with m-p put him on the other clubs know about him anyway and the practice matches would have been great for his further development and would have alllowed him to 'pick up the pace' more quickly when the real stuff begins.
I'll see if I can find the old thread where Danny made the above comments.
On other matters I still think Pickering will be tried at FF could whoever reports on the sydney game please note who gets tried in what positions in the FF line? Cheers ;D
Also as VP of Millsy I wonder why he isn't in the team? Time to check the injury list I'm tippin'.
And why haven't Sippa and Kelvin been given a go in the ones yet? Same too of Matt Shir (i thought he was over his injury)
Good luck to Nichols also, hope he plays well and they all get through injury free.

A

admin

Also as VP of Millsy I wonder why he isn't in the team? Time to check the injury list I'm tippin'.
Millsy was only a late inclusion last game too, after Rory's late withdrawal.
He was only on for a couple of minutes at a time, eg when a player came off to be talked to etc. He was on then straight off again.
He spent a fair bit of time laying on the ground having treatment.
Seeing he wans't part of last weeks plans, and not apart of this weeks, I wonder if he's a bit behind in his training due to injury or something.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Mills isn't behind in prep, or nursing an injury or anything else like that.....

HE IS A COMPLETE HACK WHO CAN'T PLAY FOOTY

If Mills plays in one's this year, I will know the white flag has been raised.

Rosy, get your son into the gym, guzzle some protein powders and he will be massive in no time.. :D

A

admin

Rosy, get your son into the gym, guzzle some protein powders and he will be massive in no time.. :D
Being 18 and just left home for uni I suspect he'll take a more conservative approach....beer and pizza ;D

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Where are the youngsters McGrath, Sipthorp, Shir, Moore etc. Why arent these kids given a run instead of hacks likes of rogers, king, houlihan. Sorry, I forgot - these guys need more game time coz they just might improve. Dead set jokers.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Here's some comments that may be of interest to anyone who hasn't read this already.

From the thread "Welcome to Tigerland" by gustiger12

A few things of interest from that I picked up on from our probing questions. According to Duncan, Wayne Brittain has basically been the senior coach since he arrived and has conducted most of the pre season. When asked about the young (new) guys Duncan indicated that Fleming is a chance to play this year and is a pretty hard nut and will run through anyone (hence the broken wrist!). McGrath is a chance and I quote "if he gets his act together". Not sure if this inferred that he wasn't 100% committed or just that he is still very young and raw. Duncan did add that he is still very skinny and he couldn't see him playing full games for a while yet. He also believes Shultz (sp?) will also get a run and is pretty developed for his age.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Where are the youngsters McGrath, Sipthorp, Shir, Moore etc. Why arent these kids given a run instead of hacks likes of rogers, king, houlihan. Sorry, I forgot - these guys need more game time coz they just might improve. Dead set jokers.

Harry, the answer is Danny Frawley. He is a complete and utter dud. I was joking with a fellow feral today that if Jason Cloke was recruited by us, he might of made his debut sometime later this year. The sad thing is this is probably true.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Diggler, I prefered your Kevin Sheedy pic, but Terry Wallace is good also.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Its interesting that Coughlan only got a chance last year after we had lost a string of games. Had we not have been losing so many games Coughlan would not have got the opportunity despite starring for coburg every week, and we wouldn't have known how good he is.

Why is it that Frawley will only introduce youngsters when we are losing games? Whenever we are winning games, marginally at that, Frawley will rarely make changes and bring youngsters into the team that has just experienced a win or two. This is probably why our young players inherit the losers mentality early on.

"I would have thought" that giving young players game time when the team is up and running and confident would assist in the players development.

Another thing, whats the point of naming a youngster in the line up and only giving him 5 minutes towards the end of the game, then dropping him the next game after we get beaten. ??????????

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Good points Harry and Diggler.

Frawleys record with drafting, training and developing kids is very ordinary indeed. Look at the bright side though, either we make the finals this year or Frawley gets the ass, or better yet both ;D