State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I thought I'd start a thread about the merits of tapping into the pool of state league talent. It's obviously an issue which has been discussed at length but the rivers of gold are still there if the RFC ever decides to change it's tact when sizing up potential rookies.

First out of the blocks could well be Kane Mitchell, Sandover medalist and dual premiership player. He's looked pretty solid in the preseason and is likley to be promoted by Port in time for the round 1.

Another who has impressed has been Brett Goodes, he's certainly of an older generation but if we're in the market for 30 y/o ruckmen, then a 28 y/o utility wouldn't seem to be a stretch. Credentials include VFL team of the year and 100 games of experience.

Nicholas Kommer is another one to keep an eye out for, originally from East Perth, the 22 y/o midfielder has looked very comfortable at the highest level and would definitely be in the frame for round one.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
bump for a good post and a good subject.

i accidently bumped you off with a pathetic post on another thread.

carry on.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
bullus_hit said:
First out of the blocks could well be Kane Mitchell, Sandover medalist and dual premiership player. He's looked pretty solid in the preseason and is likley to be promoted by Port in time for the round 1.

Yep.

Also am spewing we didn't snare Tom Lee last year when we had the chance.

Watch for Mark Hutchings at the Eagles. Word is he has had a monster preseason and will be in the firing line for Round 1.

RfC77

Ju-87 : The original TANK buster
Jun 23, 2004
Narre Warren
I'm not sure about the latest AFL drafting rules.. but can AFL clubs draft players directly from suburban clubs without having to rookie-list them first?? If so then the diamond valley, EFL and the caseycardinia leagues would be worth looking at as they'd be the strongest ones in Melb as far as talent pool goes. Maybe Richmond could talk to Noble Park about how they go about churning out quality players year in year out.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I like Mitchell from what I've seen. Gets to a lot of contests and racks up the possies. Disposal ok without being exceptional.

Reminds me of Matt Priddis.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
BrisTiger24 said:

Right down to the flowing locks.

I think it's fair to say that you won't find too many Chimp clones in the state league pool but that's what top ten draft picks are for. Guys like Barlow, Zorko, Hibberd and Mzungu aren't necessarily superstars but they are indisputably core AFL footballers. That's what it's all about, creating some decent depth and watching these guys develop over time. No need for retreads with limited upside.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
BrisTiger24 said:
I like Mitchell from what I've seen. Gets to a lot of contests and racks up the possies. Disposal ok without being exceptional.

He is a Jake King clone in most aspects except he has better skills.

Has that rare combination of great pace and great endurance. Can also take a hit, and give one as well.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Possibly Dean Putt

Dean played for Bendigo seniors in the VFL in 2012, and gathered reasonable stats for a 23yo ruckman.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194544663&client=1-118-10467-204557-16771079

I believe he is playing for Bendigo Gold, now an independent VFL team, in 2013.

At this point, would certainly be an upgrade on Derrickx.

Putt, certainly worth keeping an eye on in 2013.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Phantom said:
Possibly Dean Putt

Dean played for Bendigo seniors in the VFL in 2012, and gathered reasonable stats for a 23yo ruckman.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194544663&client=1-118-10467-204557-16771079

I believe he is playing for Bendigo Gold, now an independent VFL team, in 2013.

At this point, would certainly be an upgrade on Derrickx.

Putt, certainly worth keeping an eye on in 2013.

would he be considered a State leaguer or a retread?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Leysy Days said:
Kyle Martin and Leigh Osborne are two that leysy liked/likes.

I remember Kyle Martin as a junior rover running around for the Sandy Dragons, if I remember correctly.

Also remember that he got a bit full of himself and his junior prospects declined as a result.

Did have some talent and hope he has improved.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Jeremy McGovern 195cm is on the Eagles Rookie list, i've seen him play a few games and he looks good.
He's going to struggle to get elevated from the rookie list into the Eagles team unless they get some injuries.

Have you seen much of him Streak?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
tigerman said:
Jeremy McGovern 195cm is on the Eagles Rookie list, i've seen him play a few games and he looks good.
He's going to struggle to get elevated from the rookie list into the Eagles team unless they get some injuries.

Have you seen much of him Streak?

I think you are spot on regarding his chances at the Eagles. But he is a bit of a project, and he has come along in leaps and bounds the last 12 motnhs or so. And if you aren't drafted as a bonafide star junior, then I reckon you could do no better than to get a spot on the Eagles rookie list. One thing is for certain, they will leave no stone underturned trying to help you make the grade.

He is actually from down my way and as is usually the case, you don't really spot the talent in these bigger kids until they get a little older. I don't think he was ever selected for any junior WA rep sides, although I could be wrong. He has the bloodlines, as his old man is Andrew McGovern, drafted by the Swans in his day (also played with the Dockers poor bugger) and a fav player of mine at Claremont. I have never been able to work out where he got his height from, compared to his father.

He looked good in our local underage leagues, but that isn't overly hard to do. I have always thought he was a bit slow even for a guy his height. That said, I think we all knew he would go to Claremont and would be a good player at WAFL level. He can certainly take a grab, and he is a good kick for goal.

The Eagles believe he could play a number of key positions. I personally wonder on what I have seen if he might not end up a decent fullback. He is a big boy, and he is quite skilful.

But if he is to make an impact in the AFL, I think it will need to be at another club.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
billyb#40 said:
Don't you get found out at full back if you are a bit slow

Yeah, in the modern game you most likely get found out in any position if you are slow, relatively speaking.

I just have a feeling that if he is going to make it, it might be at fullback. I cannot see him playing CHB or CHF well enough at AFL level due to his lack of pace. Only other likely spot is full forward, although the Eagles like to have a fast free flowing forward line, and don't seem to rely on the lead-up forward as much. Andgiven the qulity of forwards they have, hard to see him getting the chance.

He was rookied, so the odds are firmly against him making much of an impact.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Have heard that Collingwood may play VFL recruit Jack Frost this week, looks a likely type with good athleticism and agility for a KPD. Despite having surgery on both hips, he came on in leaps and bounds in the latter part of 2012 and performed strongly for Williamstown in their finals camapaign.

It's early days yet but Hine's strategy of recruiting rookies straight from the VFL seems to be paying dividends.

Cotchytiggie

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 12, 2012
bullus_hit said:
Have heard that Collingwood may play VFL recruit Jack Frost this week, looks a likely type with good athleticism and agility for a KPD. Despite having surgery on both hips, he came on in leaps and bounds in the latter part of 2012 and performed strongly for Williamstown in their finals camapaign.

It's early days yet but Hine's strategy of recruiting rookies straight from the VFL seems to be paying dividends.
he won't make the AFL grade. Overrating Hine's recruiting immensely.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Cotchytiggie said:
he won't make the AFL grade. Overrating Hine's recruiting immensely.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-defender-jack-frost-set-for-fairytale-debut/story-e6frf9kx-1226606751799

To write a player off before he's even played a game is just absurd, good luck to Frost and well done on his promotion to the senior list.

And to mock Derek Hine's recruiting ability is plain ignorance, his ability to spot talent with mid-late draft picks is outstanding. I challenge you to name another recruiter who has a better record of nailing late picks.