Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ok, here's some more!

Average score has not really increased. If the rule changes were meant to be a revolution leading to more scores, this is looking like the Russian Revolution . . . of 1905!

View attachment 22376

Average score in 2023 was 83.4, which is around the mark for the years 2018 to 2022, In 2017 the average was 89.1 and prior to that was around the high 80s. No prize there for the morons looking for more scoring.

Goals per game a similar story.

View attachment 22377

As you can see, a drop after 2017 and pretty flat thereafter (note, this graph does include 2020, unlike most of the others).

A couple of other things I have looked at - we'll start with inside 50 efficiency, so here is what that looks like, scoring shots per inside 50 entry:

View attachment 22378

Again drops after 2017 and does not recover.

It occurred to me that the game is always evolving in terms of possessions and scores, so I thought I'd look at Possessions per point scored, a simple measure but indicative - how many possessions does it take to score a point:

View attachment 22379

So we are seeing more possessions needed for each score, which reflects the more defensive game these days. The rule changes have done nothing to help this, in fact, it is worse than ever if you take the AFL line that they want more scoring. If they want more scoring then their rule changes should have, and even look like they may have been aiming for, more efficiency in terms of more scores for a similar or lower number of possessions. Fail again.

DS
Nicely done Triple S Datsun. The most relevant graph is your last one of possessions per point scored. Started a mostly constant upward trend since around the year 2000. More n more interchange players and constant interchange rotations simply means that players are much fresher and able to sprint from contest to contest thereby forcing a much more congested and defensive game. Simply because the old fashioned fatigue factor no longer exists. Grumpy old fossil K.B. has been banging on about this major aspect of the game for probably the entire twenty odd years it's been in vogue. Who'da possibly thunk he could actually be right.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Ok, here's some more!

Average score has not really increased. If the rule changes were meant to be a revolution leading to more scores, this is looking like the Russian Revolution . . . of 1905!

View attachment 22376

Average score in 2023 was 83.4, which is around the mark for the years 2018 to 2022, In 2017 the average was 89.1 and prior to that was around the high 80s. No prize there for the morons looking for more scoring.

Goals per game a similar story.

View attachment 22377

As you can see, a drop after 2017 and pretty flat thereafter (note, this graph does include 2020, unlike most of the others).

A couple of other things I have looked at - we'll start with inside 50 efficiency, so here is what that looks like, scoring shots per inside 50 entry:

View attachment 22378

Again drops after 2017 and does not recover.

It occurred to me that the game is always evolving in terms of possessions and scores, so I thought I'd look at Possessions per point scored, a simple measure but indicative - how many possessions does it take to score a point:

View attachment 22379

So we are seeing more possessions needed for each score, which reflects the more defensive game these days. The rule changes have done nothing to help this, in fact, it is worse than ever if you take the AFL line that they want more scoring. If they want more scoring then their rule changes should have, and even look like they may have been aiming for, more efficiency in terms of more scores for a similar or lower number of possessions. Fail again.

DS
Be careful. AFL will make a goal worth 9 points and a behind 2 then tell us scores have increased.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jamo

The face of Evil
Apr 23, 2004
melbourne
The man used his power to help his own team stay relevant, blatant cheating. He beat the Richmond game plan with rule changes, he started in 2017 and when the 6,6,6 didn't work as intended, he came up with stand.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
The man used his power to help his own team stay relevant, blatant cheating. He beat the Richmond game plan with rule changes, he started in 2017 and when the 6,6,6 didn't work as intended, he came up with stand.
And achieved his aim (along with the recruiting of Cameron etc.) with 2022 premiership. It restored the Moggies' game to relevance, enabling them to keep carrying their older, less aerobically capable list and remain competitive through their emphasis on big-bodied, defensively-oriented, marking, solid-kicking types.
Until they had the time to inject some faster, more mobile running players over recent years.; to enact a list correction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
I recall reading an interview with Chris Scott where he said "Richmond were the best team in the comp for a few years, until we figured out how to beat them." You got your man at HQ to change the *smile* rules you contemptible *smile*!

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I recall reading an interview with Chris Scott where he said "Richmond were the best team in the comp for a few years, until we figured out how to beat them." You got your man at HQ to change the *smile* rules you contemptible *smile*!
I heard him say something simliar to that.
He couldn't beat us during 17-2020 to save himself.
We beat them in a GF by a record margin considering the qtrs were only 20 minutes

Reactions: 1 users