Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Th goal square is 9 mtrs & a player can run 15 mtrs before he "must" bounce it. In total 24 mtrs which should be easy to adjudicate because there is a 50 metre arc clearly marked on the ground.

But for the life of me I haven't seen anyone nailed for running too far when kicking in. The usual run would be at least 30 mtrs.

Except that they start at the edge of the goal square so it is still 15 metres.

In any case, we all know it is simply not being penalised as it should be.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Except that they start at the edge of the goal square so it is still 15 metres.

In any case, we all know it is simply not being penalised as it should be.

DS

What I meant was that it shouldn't be too hard to judge 15 mtrs, if the player starts on the goal line & runs 15mtrs he'll be 24 mtrs (or half way) into the 50 mtrs arc. Not hard to judge imo, but it seems impossible for the umpires to call.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What I meant was that it shouldn't be too hard to judge 15 mtrs, if the player starts on the goal line & runs 15mtrs he'll be 24 mtrs (or half way) into the 50 mtrs arc. Not hard to judge imo, but it seems impossible for the umpires to call.

They do seem to have a lot of trouble understanding that (50 - 9) > 15.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
They do seem to have a lot of trouble understanding that (50 - 9) > 15.

DS
Well, to be fair to them, the AFL now has them trying to apply different rules and interpretations and criteria to those interpretations from one week and one year to another. The fact they now have them working with 11 different criteria to determine a HTB decision is just one example.

In other words, being unnecessarily asked to do way too much, so that people like SHocking can justify an existence.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
All Richmond players will be fully vaccinated not for the Delta variant by the Hocking variant

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I know this is a hard to answer question but how far can the player who is kicking in after a behind run without bouncing the ball? Is it still 15m like elsewhere around the ground?
It’s exacerbated a by the square.... start from the square you’ve already got 15 in field... run your 15 and a bit and you are legit closing in on 40 before you need to even consider a disposal.... it can quickly rip open a game... especially at lower levels where the gap between strong and struggling clubs is massive

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Big Brownie from the Warlocks (if you grew up in Geelong in the 80s you know who that is).
Vaguely remember hearing of the Warlocks even earlier, early to mid 70's. There was another mob as well, Cossacks?? Couple of Jones boys ( scarily I think it was Jack n Johnnie, gotta be up there for originality ) living in Norlane at the time.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It’s exacerbated a by the square.... start from the square you’ve already got 15 in field... run your 15 and a bit and you are legit closing in on 40 before you need to even consider a disposal.... it can quickly rip open a game... especially at lower levels where the gap between strong and struggling clubs is massive
Pretty sure the old ten yard, nine metre square is still the same size it's always been, hasn't been expanded to fifteen yet. Call it a ten metre square, then allow the ball carrier to run his legal fifteen metres before bouncing or kicking n it's still only twenty five metres all up from the goal line. Bloke runs halfway to the fifty metre arc the maggot's supposed to be thinkin seriously about blowin his tooter. Not waiting till he's inhaling the powder off the white line of the arc.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Pretty sure the old ten yard, nine metre square is still the same size it's always been, hasn't been expanded to fifteen yet. Call it a ten metre square, then allow the ball carrier to run his legal fifteen metres before bouncing or kicking n it's still only twenty five metres all up from the goal line. Bloke runs halfway to the fifty metre arc the maggot's supposed to be thinkin seriously about blowin his tooter. Not waiting till he's inhaling the powder off the white line of the arc.

I seem to recall that umpires could work out if players had run too far years ago, and that was before we had markings all over the ground and the ground was mud as opposed to the grass cut in a regular checkerboard pattern such that you can measure the length of the run.

The rule is as uncomplicated as it ever was - you can't run more than 15m without bouncing or disposing of the ball.

Nope, it is just plain incompetence.

DS

[email protected]

Tiger Cub
Mar 17, 2014
The only rule that made any sense was 6 x 6 x6
everything since are mickey mouse tinkering and ruining the unique Australian game

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The only rule that made any sense was 6 x 6 x6
everything since are mickey mouse tinkering and ruining the unique Australian game

I don't even agree with 6-6-6. This is Australian Rules Football, a 360degree game with no offside. It is one of the defining features of Australian Rules Football that players are not restricted in where they are on the ground (or at least very little restriction with the centre square introduced in the 1970s). Yes, it throws up strategic challenges, but so does the fact you can only throw forward in gridiron and backwards in rugby - the strategic challenges of the particular game as it has developed is one of the interesting aspects of the different football codes.

DS

Reactions: 8 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The reason they introduced the 666 was because we had 2 players running off the back of the square

has there ever been so many rule changes aimed at reducing the impact of one particular team ?

Reactions: 8 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
“What we’re hoping is it brings Richmond back to the pack a little bit.”

:rolleyes:

So they've been hoping we crash.
How can this comment be let go to the wicket keeper?
How can a governing body be allowed to deliberately bring down one particular club
Where's the commentary?
It's not just the 666. the kick in rule. the stand rule. all aimed at bringing us down.
We pay membership money to see our club win flags in a fair playing arena. this is why the club exists.
Yet the AFL take the fair playing field away with these constant rule changes
Peggy and Benny should be making some noise.
get *smile*

Last edited:
  • Angry

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I dunno why we don’t ignore any of Meatloaf Hocking’s new rules.
Just let them pay free kicks and 50m penalties everywhere at every dumb rule change. 666, enlarged goal squares, statues on the mark.
Turn the game into the farce it’s becoming. They’ll soon get Jack of it and react.
It’s time to turn the game back into what it was (without the thuggery)

It’s the “people’s game”.
*smile* like Meatloaf have no right whatsoever to change the fabric of the game to suit their own agenda.

More people need to ring the radio stations and write in to the papers. Use social media platforms. Make your outrage public (but keep it polite, like I have ;) )

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think Maso is correct. It's 9m to the edge of the square. The ump is forever yelling, back to the 9 when a mark is taken by the oppo closer to goal.

There is no doubt they are running more then 15 m far too often. An easy exercise is to count how many steps they take. When running in a straight line, like the players do when kicking out, most players strides would be somewhere from 1.3-1.7m. Some even longer. Doubt many would be shorter than 1.3m. So they really only should be taking around 10 steps. Maybe 12. Watch and count how many steps players take at times. I'm not sure if the umps have a step counting technique, or just use feel to penalise running too far. But they fail big time on the kick-ins. Its probably the easiest time for them to apply the rule so I can only imagine it's a directive to the umps not to scrutinise it too much. Assume because its a Shocking rule that's been championed so much.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think Maso is correct. It's 9m to the edge of the square. The ump is forever yelling, back to the 9 when a mark is taken by the oppo closer to goal.

There is no doubt they are running more then 15 m far too often. An easy exercise is to count how many steps they take. When running in a straight line, like the players do when kicking out, most players strides would be somewhere from 1.3-1.7m. Some even longer. Doubt many would be shorter than 1.3m. So they really only should be taking around 10 steps. Maybe 12. Watch and count how many steps players take at times. I'm not sure if the umps have a step counting technique, or just use feel to penalise running too far. But they fail big time on the kick-ins. Its probably the easiest time for them to apply the rule so I can only imagine it's a directive to the umps not to scrutinise it too much. Assume because its a Shocking rule that's been championed so much.

The distance they run from the kick-ins infuriates me. Sums up the whole current disaster of rule changes - we have to enforce a rule in some circumstances but not in others for it all to "work".

But of course it doesn't work.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
“What we’re hoping is it brings Richmond back to the pack a little bit.”

:rolleyes:

So they've been hoping we crash.
How can this comment be let go to the wicket keeper?
How can a governing body be allowed to deliberately bring down one particular club
Where's the commentary?
It's not just the 666. the kick in rule. the stand rule. all aimed at bringing us down.
We pay membership money to see our club win flags in a fair playing arena. this is why the club exists.
Yet the AFL take the fair playing field away with these constant rule changes
Peggy and Benny should be making some noise.
get *smile*
And they wonder why the coach is a bit tetchy!

Reactions: 2 users