Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
we were the team that set up 6-6-6 the least at centre bounces (by a fair margin if I recall) which is exactly why it was introduced.

we were the team that locked the ball in our fwd half the most which is exactly why the kick in from a behind rule was introduced

we were the team that man the mark the most aggressively which is exactly why the stand rule was introduced.

They gonna bring in a rule to peg the Demons back a bit?

Reactions: 7 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
If a team has managed to find itself a couple of points up with a minute to go then they should be entitled to put 14 players in the defensive 50 if they so wish. Footy has gone from a 360 degree game with more and more zones and starting positions introduced over time.

Reactions: 1 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
666 was a good idea, and took footy back to where it was meant to be.
Not a fan of the 6-6-6 rule. The game is being heavily weighted in favour of the offensive side of the game and each of the rule changes favours this style of play. The 6-6-6 rule definitely introduced to curb our defensive play at the ball up. It enabled coaches to drop a man behind the play to stop run ons. Certainly assisted Melbourne in the GF. The deliberate oob stops teams from a defensive play of kicking to space - if the oval ball bounces out it is deliberate- if it bounces the other and stays in - nothing to see here play on……I mean seriously what a joke. The stand rule favours the attacking team, as they can just run off the mark and get a free kick forward.
the AFL’s rules are commercially slanted and the conspiracy theorist in me says anti-richmond. The game is almost unwatchable.

go polo

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 28, 2005
Stand rule did not exist in GF. Umpire said Stand and Pickett jumps in the air. Easy 50 easy goal, no decision.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
There's been around 50 rule changes / new rules added to the game since 2000.
Be intresting to see if any other professional sport in the world has had this many changes since the turn of the century.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
666 was a good idea, and took footy back to where it was meant to be.
Just curious why you say that , General.

Footy is a competitive sport and strategic thought about game plan should not be inhibited or thwarted by rule changes or manipulation in my view.

That’s not to criticise your opinion, but rather to query?

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
This is the reasoning behind the 6-6-6 rule. It really can't be any clearer. Hocking's team was working with these CD guys to formulate new rules.

https://sportsdayradio.com.au/2019/01/30/which-team-will-be-impacted-most-by-6-6-6-setup/
When they did that, they didn’t concede a score for the entire season.

“You can see why the AFL has had to bring in these rules. Using those guys off the back of the square is incredibly effective

So we devise a plan within the rules that was incredibly effective then the AFL change the rules.

3 rules clearly aimed at bringing us down

we need to issue the AFL a please explain and pursue legal action for loss of revenue. They are here to govern the game not manipulate the results.

Reactions: 6 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Local teams have been running guys off the back.of the square for ever. Other clubs could (and did) do it as well. Tony Shaw once started 14 players off the back of the square. It's mind boggling that the AFL changed a rule to stop a club doing something that it did better than else. Hocking would have banned Pagan's paddock and contested marking in the 90s to stop North.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Thats not that bad.
It only lasts 4-5 seconds after the ball is bounced.
That rule helps us
Not if there's a clean clearance from the centre bounce. Dees slaughtered the Woofers in the third qtr from this rule. 4 to 5 seconds is all that's needed to set up an easy goal.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Just curious why you say that , General.

Footy is a competitive sport and strategic thought about game plan should not be inhibited or thwarted by rule changes or manipulation in my view.

That’s not to criticise your opinion, but rather to query?
I've always hated flooding, ever since the 90s when blokes like Wallace started doing it because their teams were crap without it.
I think about how great our forwards could be, if they weren't double or triple teams as easily. Can you imagine Richo in the days of 666?
I like the idea of the field being opened up. I'm not a favour of turning individuals into netball defenders in the process though (stand!)

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not if there's a clean clearance from the centre bounce. Dees slaughtered the Woofers in the third qtr from this rule. 4 to 5 seconds is all that's needed to set up an easy goal.
You weren't allowed into the square before.
Beveridge got ripped.
He took Bomtmytelly off.
Footscary didn't play a midfielder defensive side of the centre and all there defenders stood too deep ij the forward 50.
Libba, McCrea, Treloar were spectators.
Do you think Cotchin Lambert or Martin would've let them stroll out so easily?

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Too many reactionists with egos trying to be faux intellectuals unfortunately in manufactured positions of impact/power.

These people are supposed to be the caretakers of the integrity of the game, instead they all feel entitled to leave their mark and have this vainglorious attitude that they somehow have the right to a ‘legacy’ on the game, which they in fact don’t. They should be ashamed of themselves, but they are caught up in their desperate scramble for relevance and some sad version of immortality.

Rule changes used to be carefully considered, consulted and trialled.Now it’s just a free for all knee jerk reaction fest by a self appointed small group who have hijacked the game.

The beauty of the game was the freedom and space which opened itself to a variety of possible tactics and counter tactics. Now tactics are all rule change driven and rule interpretation driven instead of working within a consistent and predictable set of of rules that should be applied the same way for all, all the time, for extended periods/eras.

So now all the teams essentially have to play the same way with the same team dynamics and profiles and skillsets. Very little differentiates team characteristics and they all need to model themselves the same way. There are some nuances, but they don‘t vary too much. They can’t because of the changes. They are reactive to rule changes rather than creative within known rules.

Let the coaches and players naturally evolve the game with new and creative tactics, rather than force-shaping it with new rules that are pretty much bat sh!t crazy, or motivated by some isolated opinions of what someone thinks the game should ‘look like’.

If leaving the rules alone means the scoring goes up and down, then so be it. It’s not a perfect game, that’s what makes it great. Stop trying to make it perfect because it will ruin that beautiful element of it.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I've always hated flooding, ever since the 90s when blokes like Wallace started doing it because their teams were crap without it.
I think about how great our forwards could be, if they weren't double or triple teams as easily. Can you imagine Richo in the days of 666?
I like the idea of the field being opened up. I'm not a favour of turning individuals into netball defenders in the process though (stand!)
I hate flooding too, but the 90’s flooding evolved out of the game in the 2000’s but since the “stand” rule it is back big time. The rule changes have bought it back.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
As much as some (probably most) people want to see stand rule eliminated I don't see it happening. The football media deemed it a success in the first 2 weeks and haven't changed their tune since. AFL won't change it when there is literally no pressure from the media to do so.
I see both NRL & AFL games on tv being north of the Murray
Was a time when the commentators would quite happily rubbish the league , the umps and who ever if they thought they deserved it
But things have got highly commercial and protecting and promoting the brand became a real thing
The NRL commentators seemed to be the first to fall and become puppets , I see two or three absolute howlers from the refs , not a peep from the commentators
Switch over to the afl and whoa what a difference
But it has changed and any criticism wound right back
After our round 1 grand final with Carlton , the commentators where doing their stand up summary of the game and it starts with each one being gushing over how good the new rules were . It was so scripted , so staged a couple struggled to get words out . Pretty sure that AFL house will have made it known the media have to support the new rules or else

of recent times Richo has broken ranks and drops the comments , it’s not a good look and how ridiculous does the man on the mark look
It might take all of 2022 to gain some momentum

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
I'd say theres a fair chance of that.

Chris Scott is probably working on the dimensions of a goal net today.

*smile*
Through a mate who works at AFL House I got a sneak peek at the new goal design... It was drawn in green crayon and had a number of spelling mistakes ("gole" instead of "goal") so I've tidied it up a bit.

Goalposts_no_heading-768x618.jpg

• Haha

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Too many reactionists with egos trying to be faux intellectuals unfortunately in manufactured positions of impact/power.

These people are supposed to be the caretakers of the integrity of the game, instead they all feel entitled to leave their mark and have this vainglorious attitude that they somehow have the right to a ‘legacy’ on the game, which they in fact don’t. They should be ashamed of themselves, but they are caught up in their desperate scramble for relevance and some sad version of immortality.

Rule changes used to be carefully considered, consulted and trialled.Now it’s just a free for all knee jerk reaction fest by a self appointed small group who have hijacked the game.

The beauty of the game was the freedom and space which opened itself to a variety of possible tactics and counter tactics. Now tactics are all rule change driven and rule interpretation driven instead of working within a consistent and predictable set of of rules that should be applied the same way for all, all the time, for extended periods/eras.

So now all the teams essentially have to play the same way with the same team dynamics and profiles and skillsets. Very little differentiates team characteristics and they all need to model themselves the same way. There are some nuances, but they don‘t vary too much. They can’t because of the changes. They are reactive to rule changes rather than creative within known rules.

Let the coaches and players naturally evolve the game with new and creative tactics, rather than force-shaping it with new rules that are pretty much bat sh!t crazy, or motivated by some isolated opinions of what someone thinks the game should ‘look like’.

If leaving the rules alone means the scoring goes up and down, then so be it. It’s not a perfect game, that’s what makes it great. Stop trying to make it perfect because it will ruin that beautiful element of it.

Spot.

On.