Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
One piece of advice for this git

Shut your cake hole!
Let him speak. He's flat out flexing his muscle down there and showing the world that he is moving and shaking.

Destination failure for our viewing pleasure.

Though I can't stand Geelong, blokes like Frank Costa, Colin Carter and Brian Cook have been quiet, values based and highly effective. This new Hocking era is nothing close to the modern Geelong culture that has served them so well. What it does reek of is the self-serving, born ro rule, make it up as you go, manage the news cycle culture of AFLHQ where Hocking has come from (and which Mick Warner describes so well in his book).

This is going to be fun.

Reactions: 15 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Let him speak. He's flat out flexing his muscle down there and showing the world that he is moving and shaking.

Though I can't stand Geelong, blokes like Frank Costa, Colin Carter and Brian Cook have been quiet, values based and highly effective. This new Hocking era is nothing close to the modern Geelong culture that has served them so well. What it does reek of is the self-serving, born ro rule, make it up as you go, manage the news cycle culture of AFLHQ where Hocking has come from (and which Mick Warner describes so well in his book).

This is going to be fun.
Ok you’ve convinced me :)

Reactions: 1 user

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne

This is going to be fun.
It does smell like a hand grenade will go off at some point.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

This is going to be fun.
It’s actually an interesting point. Geelong won 3 flags with an exceptional CEO, a president who seemed to be a real quality person and a team built by recruiting and growing a group of players together.
They now have big mouth SHocking, Salty as coach and a team primarily built on imports from other clubs and they can’t win one

Reactions: 11 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It’s actually an interesting point. Geelong won 3 flags with an exceptional CEO, a president who seemed to be a real quality person and a team built by recruiting and growing a group of players together.
They now have big mouth SHocking, Salty as coach and a team primarily built on imports from other clubs and they can’t win one

As a talent replacement strategy, Geelong neglected their culture by chasing highly talented import players to lead for a few years at a time, replacing homegrown premiership heroes drafted from the country and spent a decade maturing together.

It’s easy to see how clubs gets seduced into chasing talent over character after a period of success. It's hard to do! And it's risky to throw the kitchen sink at a Cotchin or a Selwood before they’re drafted. But Dusty touring GWS is an image worth a thousand words.

Give me the best people building strong relationships over the best players under the smartest coaches.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Only in the AFL this could happen.
Where a 2nd in charge in the running of the competition goes about waving his wand for 2 years to assist them to winning a championship. (clearly knowing he is heading back to his club)
Imagine that happening in the Premier league or NFL?
That's the biggest administration failure I've seen in our game and that's why Gilligan needs to pack it up too.
How can a senior administrator of a sporting competition change so rules without the consulting of senior people in the industry.
The day i heard Hocking introduced the man on the mark rule to stop Richmond.
That's why Gale & Peggy shouldve asked the commission to get rid of him.
He has been an absolute disaster to our game.
666, the deliberate rule, the ruck rules, standing the mark and the worse of the lot, the kick in rule.
You could get rid of all of them tommorow and the game will automatically improve.

Reactions: 13 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Nice to hear someone giving Hocking a whack over the stand rule.
Trevor Nisbett CEO of WC reckons it's the worst one he's seen brought in..... ruining the fabric of the game in his opinion...
Could be fun at the next face to face CEOs get together!

Reactions: 17 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Nice to hear someone giving Hocking a whack over the stand rule.
Trevor Nisbett CEO of WC reckons it's the worst one he's seen brought in..... ruining the fabric of the game in his opinion...
Could be fun at the next face to face CEOs get together!

Great to hear.

Everybody loves to see a mark. But a mark now means an umpire barks orders at the non-marking player like a parent and child.

Attention switches to the non-marking player, who must switch off as instructed. You watch the competitive tension disappear from his face and body.

Like a hawk, the authority stares at the non-marking player for signs of life. If the player loses balance or tries too hard to defend, bam! 50m penalty.

The psychology of the situation does go against the fabric of the game, so I’m pleased to hear the WC CEO stating the obvious in the media. West Coast are a reasonable club, no wonder we exchange training facilities. Has Hocking tried to disadvantage West Coast as well? Like us, they also won a premiership ahead of Geelong, but I haven’t paid attention to how the rule changes could’ve affected WC.

Reactions: 6 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
How was Hocking's form having a crack at Jordan Clark today.

Good to see Simon Garlick put him back in his place.

Hocking has one of the worst cases of 'delusions of grandeur' since Luke Skywalker became a Jedi. (Credit Han Solo)

Reactions: 3 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Only in the AFL this could happen.
Where a 2nd in charge in the running of the competition goes about waving his wand for 2 years to assist them to winning a championship. (clearly knowing he is heading back to his club)
Imagine that happening in the Premier league or NFL?
That's the biggest administration failure I've seen in our game and that's why Gilligan needs to pack it up too.
How can a senior administrator of a sporting competition change so rules without the consulting of senior people in the industry.
The day i heard Hocking introduced the man on the mark rule to stop Richmond.
That's why Gale & Peggy shouldve asked the commission to get rid of him.
He has been an absolute disaster to our game.
666, the deliberate rule, the ruck rules, standing the mark and the worse of the lot, the kick in rule.
You could get rid of all of them tommorow and the game will automatically improve.
Has it even been discussed in the media? It is disgraceful and gets my blood boiling every time it's brought up.

Reactions: 5 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne

Hocking has one of the worst cases of 'delusions of grandeur' since Luke Skywalker became a Jedi. (Credit Han Solo)
And his comparison to Melbourne about young players pushing senior players out to earn their spot, seemed odd.
Can only think of Nathan Jones.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Has it even been discussed in the media? It is disgraceful and gets my blood boiling every time it's brought up.
Agree an unprecedented conflict of interest that should have been scrutinised within an inch of it's life but sadly the weak, sycophantic AFL media won't bite the hand that feeds them.

Gutless the lot of you.(n)

Reactions: 15 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Agree an unprecedented conflict of interest that should have been scrutinised within an inch of it's life but sadly the weak, sycophantic AFL media won't bite the hand that feeds them.

On a somewhat related note..... I was once all-in for our chief taking over at the AFL but believe he's on the veritable 'hiding to nothing' should he ever do so.

He'd get kicked to death at the slightest whiff of any favourable outcomes for Richmond. ..... which would no doubt lead to us being shafted by the underlings to remove the perception of conflict.

It's a lose lose scenario for me now.
We'd be better off if that knucklehead Travis Auld took over and Benny can run rings around him from a distance!

Reactions: 7 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

What did Garlic say?
Hocking wasn't/isnt a popular fellow.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

That's what it is.
Your not going to have David King, Montagna, DaSanto or Jonathon Brown fight against them otherwise they will be playing golf full time with Akermanis.
The ass licking by the AFL media is unbearable.
The game has huge issues from umpiring and especially the rules but they seem to go unnoticed by the media.
Real commentators like Richards Dyer Newman Hunt Etc wouldve called them out.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Lets see of Auld will have the balls to cancel out some of these stupid and ridiculous rules.
I would happy if the man on the mark and the kick in rule were scrapped in 2022.
The kick in rule needs to go back to what it was before. Goal square or kick the ball to yourself and play on. Man on the mark at 15 m from the goal square.
I would introduce a rapid 50 metre penalty if the player with the ball is held up from moving the ball on.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Lets see of Auld will have the balls to cancel out some of these stupid and ridiculous rules.
I would happy if the man on the mark and the kick in rule were scrapped in 2022.
The kick in rule needs to go back to what it was before. Goal square or kick the ball to yourself and play on. Man on the mark at 15 m from the goal square.
I would introduce a rapid 50 metre penalty if the player with the ball is held up from moving the ball on.
I use to love it when you had to kick it to yourself after a point before playing on. A quirky part of our game that made it unique.

Reactions: 6 users