Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
There was an interview on SEN with Justin Leppitsch, who was a commentator at the time as he'd left RFC.
He said SHocking was at Richmond training the year before and he asked Leppa about the philosophy/strategy behind how we defended the man on the mark.
After Leppa explained it to him, Hocking said, "well you guys won't be able to do it next year". Later that year, Hosking's introduced the stand rule for 2021 season.

That's the one that has been mentioned a lot, wish we could find it.

Good work. However it doesn’t have a definitive quote or evidence so it’s worthless and doesn’t prove a thing.

Can't reply to @daniel30 for some reason, but that is the unattributed stuff.

'Word has it'. Whose word?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I don't even like 6 6 6 rule. If you find yourself 5 points up with a minute to go you should be entitled to put the players wherever you want.

Reactions: 6 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I don't even like 6 6 6 rule. If you find yourself 5 points up with a minute to go you should be entitled to put the players wherever you want.
I don't disagree, I'm ambivalent, but regardless of what we think of it, unlike the stand rule it has a clear rationale, easy to adjudicate, clear outcomes, no unintended impacts.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
That's the one that has been mentioned a lot, wish we could find it.
I went looking, but I can't remember when it was said. My memory says it was in a pre-game segment before a Tigers game, but I wouldn't put my house on it.
I did lots of google searches to find it, but not sure what the file would be called.
It was definitely said by Leppa though.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't disagree, I'm ambivalent, but regardless of what we think of it, unlike the stand rule it has a clear rationale, easy to adjudicate, clear outcomes, no unintended impacts.

It should be easy to adjudicate but they just give a warning when a team breaks the rule rather than a free kick. I find this a bit strange but there you go.

Don't like 6-6-6, goes against the grain of Australian Rules Football which has always had freedom to move except at the centre bounce since the early 70s.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
It should be easy to adjudicate but they just give a warning when a team breaks the rule rather than a free kick. I find this a bit strange but there you go.

Don't like 6-6-6, goes against the grain of Australian Rules Football which has always had freedom to move except at the centre bounce since the early 70s.

DS
huh? 666 only applies at centre bounces

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
huh? 666 only applies at centre bounces

Sorry, I was referring to the centre square, which is less restrictive than 6-6-6, the point being that the only restriction on where players can be on the ground was the centre square (diamond at first) since the early 70s until they introduced the 6-6-6 rule.

DS

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I went looking, but I can't remember when it was said. My memory says it was in a pre-game segment before a Tigers game, but I wouldn't put my house on it.
I did lots of google searches to find it, but not sure what the file would be called.
It was definitely said by Leppa though.
I thought it was said pre2020 gf. Geelong’s Gary Ablett and Richmond’s Shane Edwards amongst other players had to isolate for 14days in their own little hub in qld but trained together. Hocking was there watching and talking to Leppa, probably on ch7 news. I thought it was at this point the comment from Hocking was made that Richmond defended the mark really wel and Leppa had said that we trained really hard to make it an advantage to us.

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If people don't think there is no conflict of interest with what's happened think again Hocking was a afl football boss chopping and changing rules to suit his agenda and that had alot to do regarding us quotes or quotes , Scott replaces Hocking as afl football boss who joins cats all this while Scott coaches cats if that is not conflict of interest well I don't what is bewildering that is allowed to happen in our professional sport what gets me upset not even a mention in the media or clubs raise it up.
The AFL has assigned Zip Ltd to look after the umpires in 2022.
Top 3 finish in Brownlow all RFC players.
Av 12 inside 50's free kicks
Av 15 centre bounce free kicks

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
The AFL has assigned Zip Ltd to look after the umpires in 2022.
Top 3 finish in Brownlow all RFC players.
Av 12 inside 50's free kicks
Av 15 centre bounce free kicks
I assume you mean 2023

PS...Steve Hocking is still a *smile* and always will be !

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I thought it was said pre2020 gf. Geelong’s Gary Ablett and Richmond’s Shane Edwards amongst other players had to isolate for 14days in their own little hub in qld but trained together. Hocking was there watching and talking to Leppa, probably on ch7 news. I thought it was at this point the comment from Hocking was made that Richmond defended the mark really wel and Leppa had said that we trained really hard to make it an advantage to us.
I know it was definitely said by Leppa whilst working for SEN last year. There was some discussion about what we did, which got people here a bit riled up that he was giving away family secrets now he was no longer employed by us.

Reactions: 1 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I know it was definitely said by Leppa whilst working for SEN last year. There was some discussion about what we did, which got people here a bit riled up that he was giving away family secrets now he was no longer employed by us.
All he really said was we worked the mark, made ourselves big by waving arms and jumping around, shuffling to make the oppo feel angles were being cut off.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I heard Leppa tell the story, however, Leppa said he believes that from what he told SHocking lead to the stand rule. He certainly didn't say anything about "well you won't be able to do it next year" as SHockings response. Pretty sure it was on Crunch Time.

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I heard Leppa tell the story, however, Leppa said he believes that from what he told SHocking lead to the stand rule. He certainly didn't say anything about "well you won't be able to do it next year" as SHockings response. Pretty sure it was on Crunch Time.

Yeah was crunch time for sure.

bandoftigers

Tiger Cub
Oct 29, 2007
Going back and looking at some games from 2020, I don’t see us manning the mark much differently to other teams, everyone was shifting around on the mark and cutting off angles into the corridor. Maybe it was more important to our way of defending, but I don’t see much difference in the way we did it compared to other teams, so the rule change is really a disadvantage to everyone.

I think the 6-6-6 rule was much more of a disadvantage to us and the way we played, we would regularly start with 7 in the back line with Kane lambert starting there and pushing up once the ball bounced, limiting any quick centre breaks for the opposition, and given we were never a high contested possession team this was important. We were still able to overcome it though and win another 2 flags.