Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Remember the days when there were going to be rule changes, they were trialed in the preseason or the reserves (VFL) to see how they went and maybe iron out the kinks, before being brought in? That didn’t happen under SHocking, especially with this rule
Bypassed the Rules Committee as well IIRC

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Remember the days when there were going to be rule changes, they were trialed in the preseason or the reserves (VFL) to see how they went and maybe iron out the kinks, before being brought in? That didn’t happen under SHocking, especially with this rule
He was asked on radio why at that time they hadn’t brought stand rule in with the AFLW and responded ‘because the girls don’t do it.’ Cheating scumbag.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He didn’t like the way we manned the mark aggressively, fully believes it cost the Cats the 2020 GF. He then managed to lobby the AFL ‘media’ to convince everyone that this manning the mark was part of the problem with low scoring. No mention of it advantaging his side significantly. It was rushed through, had no effect on scoring and ultimately helped the Cats get their flag.
Yes but when I watch games from that time I can’t see aggressive manning of the mark particularly. The only difference I see is a player on the mark actually being able to go after a player who has played on rather than standing like a statue
I can’t see any evidence that the flow of the game was any worse under the old rule.

Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Just a bit louder for the people up the back please Jon Ralph:

2EFD17A4-E312-45BF-848D-4E89E10AEF64.jpeg

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just a bit louder for the people up the back please Jon Ralph:

View attachment 17876
Heard Kelly being interviewed by one of his clients (Dwyane Russell) yesterday... said he's a huge wrap for SHOCKING and what he's done in and for the game!
Later on I caught the tail end of him being interviewed by Sam McClure.. it was like 2 buddies sitting around having a beer and a punt. The thing that grabbed my attention was Kelly reckons the AFL Commission should do whatever it takes to keep McLachlan in the job!!!
Ya don't need to put 2n2 together here.... the very reason that Mick Warner called the AFL the boys club is there for everyone to see.
When you've had a seat up front on the gravy train ..... it figures you'd want the driver you're mates with to keep on keeping on!
Zero governance for Australia's supposedly best run sporting organisation!

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He changed the rules to suit Geelong

And no one has done anything about it.

The media just continue to praise Geelong.

best list management. Give me a break West Coast gave them a 1000 picks for Kelly. And this year they picked up 2 kids not regulars in non Top 8 teams and a bloke that wouldn't defend.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
How about this for something even more nauseating?
An article by Greg Baum in The Age
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ty-record-not-rewrite-it-20230131-p5cgvq.html

For anyone not able to access it - here is the first couple of paragraphs.

The AFL has not shut the book on a decade-long campaign by former commissioner and Geelong president Colin Carter to revise the game’s history in a way that would deliver the Cats an extra seven premierships and promote Carlton to the top of the flag table outright.

In his book Football’s Forgotten Years, launched on Tuesday, Carter argues strongly for the incorporation into the records of 27 years of the VFA before the establishment of the breakaway VFL in 1897, saying the competition then was popular, its clubs familiar and the game recognisable as the forerunner of today’s AFL.

• Haha

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Kelly knows how to play the political game. As an agent that's your full-time job. Spin, politics, networking, spin and relationships while pretending you like people. All the while they only care about themselves and money.

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ty-record-not-rewrite-it-20230131-p5cgvq.html

The AFL has not shut the book on a decade-long campaign by former commissioner and Geelong president Colin Carter to revise the game’s history in a way that would deliver the Cats an extra seven premierships and promote Carlton to the top of the flag table outright.

In his book Football’s Forgotten Years, launched on Tuesday, Carter argues strongly for the incorporation into the records of 27 years of the VFA before the establishment of the breakaway VFL in 1897, saying the competition then was popular, its clubs familiar and the game recognisable as the forerunner of today’s AFL.
Just posted about this on the Cants thread.
So many problems with this proposal, but you just know Gill will be tempted to go with it before the door hits his arse on the way out

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

If this gets approved, then that'll probably be the final nail in the coffin for me regarding the AFL as a spectator sport.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well if the VFA flags count then surely the WA(N)FL and SANFL flags must count too. Freo would have to be top of the table, or maybe we count all the other flags for WCE. Port Adelaide would be doing well.

What a joke.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I knew Hocking has been around for a while but this would appear to make him much older than me:
By the 1870s, the VFA was drawing crowds of 15,000, then unknown anywhere else. In 1886, South Melbourne and Geelong played off for the championship at the Lakeside Oval before a crowd of 34,000. Melbourne’s population then was less than 400,000.

Carter said changes in the way the game was played between the VFA and AFL eras were irrelevant because the game has always changed. Geelong CEO Steve Hocking, who experimented freely with changes during his time as AFL footy manager, was an attendee.
From the same Age article above.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Well if the VFA flags count then surely the WA(N)FL and SANFL flags must count too. Freo would have to be top of the table, or maybe we count all the other flags for WCE. Port Adelaide would be doing well.

What a joke.

DS
Port have more than 30 in the SANFL I think. A better way to do it would be to asterisk anything won prior to 1990 when the VFL transitioned to the AFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
But the AFL is an expanded version of the VFL, which was indisputably the best competition before we got a national competition.

If the AFL was an amalgamation of the WAFL, SANFL, TFL and VFL there might be a case. It wasn't and it isn't.

If the VFA evolved into the VFL back in the late 19th century there might be a case, it didn't and there isn't.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD

What a joke.

DS
Port will be King Dicks of the comp by the length of the straight.