Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Last touch rule works okay at SANFL. The players all know what’s last touch and what’s a genuine OOB. It sure speeds the game up.
Last touch rule is rubbish. Big part of footy is ruck work and contested footy in congestion. Why do we want to artificially speed up the game anyway?

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Last touch rule is rubbish. Big part of footy is ruck work and contested footy in congestion. Why do we want to artificially speed up the game anyway?

‘He disguised it well’

The issue I have is most OOBs are fake acts that clearly intend to stop the play and cause a throw-in. Should players be rewarded for giving up and taking a safety stoppage?

Players are artificially slowing the game down.

Maybe that’s fine, I’m not sold on more rule changes, but it was created by players taking the easy way out and that was never intended in the spirit of the rules.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

This was just below the other article. I almost don’t mind the first 4, although not sure on last touch out. The last one is crazy blight at his moronic best.

Frankly whatever Blight says should be ignored. The guy is away with the fairies most of the time. Those 5 rule changes he nominates would make the game even more unwatchable than it currently is.
Last touch out of bounds, spare me.

As for the "tackle the ball not the body" what sort of idiocy is that!!!!!!

BLIGHT :bash :bash :bash

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The SANFL play last DISPOSAL is OOB, so a spoil or a fumble or a ruck punch aren’t penalised.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
‘He disguised it well’

The issue I have is most OOBs are fake acts that clearly intend to stop the play and cause a throw-in. Should players be rewarded for giving up and taking a safety stoppage?

Players are artificially slowing the game down.

Maybe that’s fine, I’m not sold on more rule changes, but it was created by players taking the easy way out and that was never intended in the spirit of the rules.
players have been doing this for thousands of years.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure how you draw that conclusion, I've been back in Australia watching games live for 10 years and during that time every team has played 14-18 man defences when they have the time to set up.

yep, the key is developing the stamina, then get the team to gut run back and defend whenever the ball is turned over.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I hate flooding too, but the 90’s flooding evolved out of the game in the 2000’s but since the “stand” rule it is back big time. The rule changes have bought it back.
I don't think 6-6-6 brought back flooding though. I think that is a by-product of the stand rule.
I'd abolish the stand rule in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
As for all those Blight suggestions , the only one I agree with is the frees. If it's there pay it. Players will adjust.
However, clear the rules up to get rid of interpretation. Give the umpires a fair go.
If they brought in the other 4, I'd just stop watching. I'm nearly at that point now. I struggled through 2019-2020. I barely watched any football this year at all. They've nearly killed the golden goose in my eyes.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Not sure how you draw that conclusion, I've been back in Australia watching games live for 10 years and during that time every team has played 14-18 man defences when they have the time to set up.

I don’t reckon they’re pressing as high though due to the increased heat on the ball.

Which is effectively more flooding.

jamo

The face of Evil
Apr 23, 2004
melbourne
I want evidence he's said exactly that.
That sounds like a frustrated Tiger supporter, not the AFL head of football.
There is an interview I saw with Hocking where he mentions Richmond and how good Cotchin is at blocking space and that the stand rule will open up the game and relieve pressure like that and stop teams ( RICHMOND) from applying too much pressure on kicks and allow free flowing football ( perfect for Geelong)
As far as I am concerned this man has been Geelong supporting throughout his entire tenure, he has implemented rules to assist their slow precision game style, he helped Hawkins with the hands in the back rule, he was spent until that rule came in, think about all the injuries that bloke has caused by shoving players in the back, Soldo was caused 100% by Hawkins pushing Balta into him.
he has tried to stop the Richmond pressure game since we beat Geelong in 2017, 6,6,6 was initially designed to stop Richmond.
He has kept Geelong relevant and I believe was expecting them to go further than they did this year, hence he took a job there. Geelong will still be protected with Brad Scott in that position, so expect no support for Richmond any time soon. Just look at his face as Dimma comes out in 2020 after mauling his beloved cats, he was on a mission to beat Richmond and I believe the stand rule did make a difference, on top of all the injuries.

IMG_3940.jpg
IMG_3939.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
There is an interview I saw with Hocking where he mentions Richmond and how good Cotchin is at blocking space and that the stand rule will open up the game and relieve pressure like that and stop teams ( RICHMOND) from applying too much pressure on kicks and allow free flowing football ( perfect for Geelong)
As far as I am concerned this man has been Geelong supporting throughout his entire tenure, he has implemented rules to assist their slow precision game style, he helped Hawkins with the hands in the back rule, he was spent until that rule came in, think about all the injuries that bloke has caused by shoving players in the back, Soldo was caused 100% by Hawkins pushing Balta into him.
he has tried to stop the Richmond pressure game since we beat Geelong in 2017, 6,6,6 was initially designed to stop Richmond.
He has kept Geelong relevant and I believe was expecting them to go further than they did this year, hence he took a job there. Geelong will still be protected with Brad Scott in that position, so expect no support for Richmond any time soon. Just look at his face as Dimma comes out in 2020 after mauling his beloved cats, he was on a mission to beat Richmond and I believe the stand rule did make a difference, on top of all the injuries.

View attachment 13724
View attachment 13725
He looks like my son when I take the ipad off him.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs

View attachment 13724
View attachment 13725

fkstick

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
he has tried to stop the Richmond pressure game since we beat Geelong in 2017,
No wonder he left then. If he was motivated to stop us and boost Geelong, I'd say he was fairly inept. 3 flags and a preliminary final for us, a packet of cornflakes and a pillar of salt for Geelong.
Bet he won't put that on his linkedin profile.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users