Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Every time I see the photo of Shocking and Salty attached to this thread I see not 1 but 2 gooses thinking they’re Top Gun wannabes.

Goose…Top Gun…try the veal, I’m here til Wednesday, take my mother in law, I’ll see myself out….

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Why do the media make out Scott is the bee's knees of AFL coaches when he has done Sweet FA?
Maybe Hocking and Scott can ask the brother Scott to widen the goals when Geelong are playing

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Someone had this *smile* in mind when they penned

If all the village idiots of the world formed their own village, sHocking would be the village idiot of that village.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Melb. had plenty of good games during the year and quickly became most peoples tips for the flag
they've then had the "fairy tail premiership win"

now if they look like they are continuning that form in 22 and Petracca & Oliver are still switched on and hungry
the green eyes will come out

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If ever there has been anyone in this crazy world to meddle and ruin the great game of AFL it is him.
Have been watching some of the older games and they were great with good footy and big crowds.
As many have said if it is not broke then don't fix it.
As you say Zips he has ruined the fabric of the game.
Is there someone game enough to at least get rid of the statue rule.
in fairness i dont think you can blame SHocking entirely for how the game has changed over the last 20, or even 10 years, but he certainly didnt help.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
in fairness i dont think you can blame SHocking entirely for how the game has changed over the last 20, or even 10 years, but he certainly didnt help.
Yes we can. We can blame him for everything bad. Whenever it happened.
He’s a king sized git

• Love

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Good old, Steve Hocking. He may be no good but you know he's doing his best.

Battle on, O, valiant leader of halfwits.

• Haha

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Someone had this *smile* in mind when they penned

If all the village idiots of the world formed their own village, sHocking would be the village idiot of that village.

Just as well he is the village idiot of sleepy hollow then now.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Your belting down HWY1 from Lara to Wherever. Some dill has loaded ladders onto his Thule above his lethally high (it will kill him) 4WD. He's in the right lane as usual. (Is there a song about that?) And below the speed limit. Unless the car inside him speeds up then he does to keep you stuck behind him.

The bloke holding up the traffic is SHocking. He's doing what he does best. Knowing, as he does, that he can never accomplish anything himself, he obstructs. Here's your passive aggressive. Whatever he's done all his life other people have passed him. Remember that Whiskas bloke? All SHocking can achieve is stymy others.

And this day that you're behind him he's levelled up. It's a pivotal moment in history. Up until now SHocking drives in the right lane because he can't change lanes. He doesn't have the talent. But today he will learn to half cart. To put his obstructobile in both the outside lane and half into the middle lane should a gap finally emerge.

What do you do? You push through in the extreme left or even emergency lane. That's what everybody does with Steve Hocking - they work around him. Passive Aggressive. Dumb.

Even Ghoul McLachlan worked that out. And now Steve is obstructing Geelong Road rather than Punt Road.

• Haha

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Straying very close to TBR territory there but I'll allow it.

Right now there are 18 footy departments working away at how they are going to approach the game in 2022. Not one of them gives a collective stuff how the game looks, what the scores are or who likes it or doesn't. They just want to win. Unquestionably they are the greatest influence on how the game changes, with daylight second.

The AFL and Hocking are easy targets, but when you really boil it down much of the criticism of them is pretty baseless. When you look at the game through history, most of the law changes have either been good ones or had very little impact. There's very few rule changes that have been demonstrably detrimental to the game.

Even something as maligned as the stand rule doesn't have the evidence to support the rhetoric opposing it. It's hard to find changes in the stats, scoring might not have gone up significantly but the downward trend over the past few seasons was stopped. It looks and sounds silly but beyond that you certainly can't make a sound argument at this point that is has damaged the game.
I enjoy your views on many things TBR. But the stand rule is an absolute dog no matter which way you look at it. Not even worthy of debate.

Reactions: 12 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

Right now there are 18 footy departments working away at how they are going to approach the game in 2022. Not one of them gives a collective stuff how the game looks, what the scores are or who likes it or doesn't. They just want to win. Unquestionably they are the greatest influence on how the game changes, with daylight second.

The AFL and Hocking are easy targets, but when you really boil it down much of the criticism of them is pretty baseless. When you look at the game through history, most of the law changes have either been good ones or had very little impact. There's very few rule changes that have been demonstrably detrimental to the game.

Even something as maligned as the stand rule doesn't have the evidence to support the rhetoric opposing it. It's hard to find changes in the stats, scoring might not have gone up significantly but the downward trend over the past few seasons was stopped. It looks and sounds silly but beyond that you certainly can't make a sound argument at this point that is has damaged the game.
How do you measure how people/players feel about a rule and the effect of people talking down the game?

How do you measure the afl saying they are bringing it in to increase scoring, then scoring is the lowest in forever and then say it is about the look of the game on the AFLs reputation and care for its stakeholders?

It seriously reminds me of being goal keeper in mixed netball and the three foot rule. The feeling of uselessness that you basically can’t impact the offensive player in any meaningful way without conceding an automatic goal goes against the soul of competitive sport to me.

Those little 1%er you can get where you influence a high percentage scoring attempt via a smother, deflection or causing the offensive player uncertainty are the heart of this kind of stuff. How much did we enjoy the defensive efforts of our team through ‘17-‘20 and what supporters wouldn’t? Part of this is gone - and we don’t measure crowd engagement either.

They just needed to enforce encroaching over the mark and time wasting more precisely and we had a good set of rules.

I’d say you have missed the mark and are measuring the wrong things. (But the things to measure aren’t easy)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013

Honestly, it hasn't damaged the game!
It has made an opponent redundant, decreased contests, brought the umpires even closer to the ultimate influence of the outcome and looks and sounds like *smile*.
If it is so ineffectual, why not just get rid of it. No one will notice.

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Listening to King & Edmund on SEN & they think Brad Scott will keep 'Stand Rule' & make no rule changes for a couple of years.

I mean why would you?!:bash
You could only hope Oldie, but I wouldn't hold my breath on no rule changes.
This quote from BScott in the Age:

“[The] overarching view is that 2022 will be one of consolidation, but we always reserve the right to tweak around the edges.”