Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
yep, I had a really curious, brand new AFL convert ask me about STAND!

I started to explain it on face value, and gave up a after a few words,

and said 'its just a complete load of *smile*, farcical, blight on the game that everyone hates; players, coaches, umpires, fans, and the bloke who thought it up, so they could run more ads, was on a secret 7 figure salary and everybody hates him'

'oh, that's weird' she goes
you could have added... 'think Netball, or Basketball'... but using feet ...

Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I'm waiting for a totel knee jerk reaction from the umpres this coming week over push in the back.
Should be fun
I’m looking forward to the over the top media hysteria when Jack or Tom benefit from an umpiring mistake. The *smile* will hit the fan because well, you know, Richmond benefited from it. Unlike the mushroom media reaction to when shovekins did it

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
They can’t get rid of it now, either, because if they do they’re admitting that they made a mistake and the current AFL leadership team will never do that. It is quite possible that they’ll modify it to something even worse.

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
It wasn't hard to predict that this rule/issue would blow up once Richmond benefitted.
100% no mention of Hawkins pushing
No mention of Cerra's 5 in the back free kicks.
No mention of McCrae ducking even before he is tackled.
The constant throwing of the ball has gone to ridiculous levels.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe they won't change the rule, they will just change the interpretation such that you can run around on the mark (but not go over it) and that is their new definition of "stand". Wouldn't surprise me, they just interpret it in such a way that defies the wording of the rule and then quietly drop it out of the rule book in a year or two (if they ever publish the rule book that is).

DS

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Me too.

Havnt watched more than 1/4 of a non-tigers game this year.

Steve Hocking: The Man that fuckedupfooty
It's real. First season since I lobbed in Melb 33 years ago that I've felt this way about footy.

I watched the Dess-Bulldogs game in full I think. But like you, its a quarter here or there.

The only good thing is he became head of football operations of the AFL in August 2017 - so got to enjoy our regular cats flayings in the big games - the coup de grace being the dusty demolition of 2020.

There is no doubt those experiences shaped his thinking and created the stand rule. Its almost inarguable.

He's a deadset *smile*

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Crowds are coming back in huge number's in other sports
But Gilligan and the 3 stooges are still blaming covid.
Premier league
The masters
The Grand Prix
Burnley open

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
They can’t get rid of it now, either, because if they do they’re admitting that they made a mistake and the current AFL leadership team will never do that. It is quite possible that they’ll modify it to something even worse.
I think they will come out and say that the player with the ball, that feigns to handball or move laterally to milk a free is not acting in the spirit of the game.

The new rule will be that the player on the mark must now turn his back to the player with the ball until play on is called. This is to remove the milking of such 50m frees :poop:

Morons the lot of 'em :cool:

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
100% no mention of Hawkins pushing
No mention of Cerra's 5 in the back free kicks.
No mention of McCrae ducking even before he is tackled.
The constant throwing of the ball has gone to ridiculous levels.
I suspect the AFL pay a chunk of Robinson’s salary. They were desperately hoping that something else would happen to take the focus off the blatant in the back that wasn’t paid against Shovekins and as soon as Dion used a tactic to subvert their pet rule (not the first player to do it, mind you) someone would have been on the phone to Robbo telling him to write in defence of the rule, blame it on those dirty Richmond cheats and take the focus off how their umpires don’t enforce the rules properly.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Does anyone on PRE actually like the rule?

I'm yet to come across a fan who does like it bar one norf supporter, but like his team he simply doesn't count.

I seriously think fans could have a big say in getting this rule repealed by voting with their feet - nominate a round where fans boycott attending in protest at the rule. I think a significant amount of fans would boycott.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Seeing we got 2 50's in a row from this stupid rule, AFL HQ will be discussing ways to get rid of it.

Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I suspect the AFL pay a chunk of Robinson’s salary. They were desperately hoping that something else would happen to take the focus off the blatant in the back that wasn’t paid against Shovekins and as soon as Dion used a tactic to subvert their pet rule (not the first player to do it, mind you) someone would have been on the phone to Robbo telling him to write in defence of the rule, blame it on those dirty Richmond cheats and take the focus off how their umpires don’t enforce the rules properly.
The AFL control almost all the media messaging.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Crowds are coming back in huge number's in other sports
But Gilligan and the 3 stooges are still blaming covid.
Premier league
The masters
The Grand Prix
Burnley open
Yep, its nothing to do with COVID. Grass roots supporters are losing interest when they see morons introducing things like the stand rule.

Who can forget the 30m long goal square that Shocking wanted to introduce also. I thought at the time it was a ruse to distract outrage to ensure their other stupid rules got up. Now I'm not so sure. Shocking really was a *smile*

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Well, they did get rid of the hands on the back rule after a couple of years.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Does anyone on PRE actually like the rule?

I'm yet to come across a fan who does like it bar one norf supporter, but like his team he simply doesn't count.

I seriously think fans could have a big say in getting this rule repealed by voting with their feet - nominate a round where fans boycott attending in protest at the rule. I think a significant amount of fans would boycott.
can we choose a week we play interstate? Or even better, at Docklands?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Watch Mr Magoo go on about Richmond and Prestia tonight on 360.
Blobbo was already full rant in the Hun this morning about it. Reckons we need another rule change to combat players taking advantage of a *smile* rule, because the *smile* rule has opened up the game n saved it.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Blobbo was already full rant in the Hun this morning about it. Reckons we need another rule change to combat players taking advantage of a *smile* rule, because the *smile* rule has opened up the game n saved it.
That’s why I mentioned it. But he didn’t raise Richmond or Prestia specifically tonight on 360. Just the problem he has with it in general.