Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Nope, I don't think a professional person doing their job at the AFL would consider club loyalty for a second on anything. To me that's small time thinking.

I also don't see any credibility in the idea rules were changed to respond to us or any other team, and I happen to think the rule changes that have been made have improved the game.
What about the time he said they implemented the stand rule because Richmond manned the mark in a way that forced teams to kick down the line?

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
What about the time he said they implemented the stand rule because Richmond manned the mark in a way that forced teams to kick down the line?
I'm very sure he referenced Richmond as the main reason the stand rule come in.

Where are these comments? I've searched and searched and never found them. I think you are remembering the unattributed statements in the articles discussed above.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I think it depends on the umpire’s mood at time. Yet another example of why it is a bad rule. When something is not thought out and hastily implemented that will happen. It’s an all too familiar process under Hocking and has been continued by Brad Scott.
“ it depends on the umpires’s mood at the time”.

Nothing surer than that as the citation of ‘common sense’ was referred to earlier in the year. Yes, that benefitted one of the teams headed to the GF.

It makes sense you know.

So we’re flexible and you’re not footy fans says the AFL.

And in any event, should the prevailing rules get in the way of our agenda/objectives, well we can just change the rules. That’s your job Brad, said Hocking on his way up the Geelong Road.

And don’t even think about consultation or transparency, it’s our game not yours. We now you’ll still turn up no matter what.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Where are these comments? I've searched and searched and never found them. I think you are remembering the unattributed statements in the articles discussed above.
There was an interview on SEN with Justin Leppitsch, who was a commentator at the time as he'd left RFC.
He said SHocking was at Richmond training the year before and he asked Leppa about the philosophy/strategy behind how we defended the man on the mark.
After Leppa explained it to him, Hocking said, "well you guys won't be able to do it next year". Later that year, Hosking's introduced the stand rule for 2021 season.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 11 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

Na mate I'm positive there was a snippet it mentioned us as. same as you can't find it again.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-154327_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220917-154327_Chrome.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Angry
Reactions: 7 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Good work. However it doesn’t have a definitive quote or evidence so it’s worthless and doesn’t prove a thing.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

Not the interview I was looking for, but about the 15 minute mark, Leppa talks about the Stand rule, and says previously the man on the mark was an extra defender.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Why are people fighting over what he said or didnt say?
The truth is that in over 50 yrs of footy I've seen about 4-5 rule changes.
*Hawthorn taking the ball through the goal line against **Geelong rule change
*6-6-6 after 2017 when we win a flag
*after 2017, the 'kick in' rule you can run in 50m without bouncing it
*The Stand rule after 2020 after beating Geelong in a GF with forced pressure.

Why weren't rules changed after 2007? 2009? 2011??

Hocking will most likely achieve next week what he set out to achieve going back to October 2017.

Reactions: 5 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
People are naive to think he didn't change rules to help Geelong.
Don't listen to the media, our brand of football was unbelievable to watch.
Shiit clubs like Sydney and freo were unbearable to watch.
What was WC game style Kick mark Kick marl.
You don't change rules because it dosent suit a certain team.
*If Geelong win next week, to me it be called the Hocking Cup.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The rule changes in and of themselves, putting the conflict of interest and/or bias aside, were poorly designed and implemented. The 666 rule, regardless of whether you support it or not, is the only one that it can be argued was needed and has worked, but it has been mooted and considered for years.

The kickout and the stand rule were panic moves. Panic as a result of broadcasters wanting more advertising time, or panic because we usurped the AFLs desire for equalisation, or both. The kickout stinks AFAIC, an unnecessary spoon feeding leg-up, but it hasn't had demonstrable negative imacts, and it pales in comparison to the stand rule. The stand rule, as I've been saying like a stuck record, was brought in to solve a problem that didn't exist and has created a lot of flow-on problems.

Putting the Hocking undeniable conflict of interest aside, the stand rule, design, implementation, impact, is a disgrace.

Reactions: 9 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
If people don't think there is no conflict of interest with what's happened think again Hocking was a afl football boss chopping and changing rules to suit his agenda and that had alot to do regarding us quotes or quotes , Scott replaces Hocking as afl football boss who joins cats all this while Scott coaches cats if that is not conflict of interest well I don't what is bewildering that is allowed to happen in our professional sport what gets me upset not even a mention in the media or clubs raise it up.

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
If people don't think there is no conflict of interest with what's happened think again Hocking was a afl football boss chopping and changing rules to suit his agenda and that had alot to do regarding us quotes or quotes , Scott replaces Hocking who joins cats all this while Chris Scott coaches cats if that is not conflict of interest well I don't what is bewildering that is allowed to happen in professional sport what gets me not even a mention in the media or clubs raise it up.
The "pub Test" doesn't apply to the AFL, and they don't care. They do dodgey, stinky, crooked, nepotistic, cronyism, as a matter of course, as long as it isn't illegal its all good.

Part of it is the hyper competitive culture of the footy world and the game it administers, whatever it takes, dog eat dog, as long as you can get away with it to gain an advantage, all good.

Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Putting the Hocking undeniable conflict of interest aside, the stand rule, design, implementation, impact, is a disgrace.
They can’t even apply it properly in a game. The umpires consistently are too slow to call play on when the ball holder moves off their mark in turn making the whole ‘one man down’ effect that Leigh Matthews and co talk about even more pronounced.

I thought the umpiring last night was pretty good overall but the 50m against Ginnivan for breaching the stand rule was an absolute howler and a great example of how they struggle with its application. That was just a shocking decision by that umpire.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
They can’t even apply it properly in a game. The umpires consistently are too slow to call play on when the ball holder moves off their mark in turn making the whole ‘one man down’ effect that Leigh Matthews and co talk about even more pronounced.

I thought the umpiring last night was pretty good overall but the 50m against Ginnivan for breaching the stand rule was an absolute howler and a great example of how they struggle with its application. That was just a shocking decision by that umpire.
agree, but IMO the rule is just too difficult to adjudicate correctly and consistently. Its a very tough task, and a completely unnecessary one.

There was another 50m penalty last night that nobody has mentioned, kick to Sydney in their backline, 2 Collingwood players just ended up close to the mark, Miocek was one, ump called stand and as both were moving backwards off the mark in different directions, both players seemed totally confused as to which one of them was on the mark and where they were meant to be, I didn't know, ump didn't say, is he meant to?. He just seemed to choose to say stand rather than back 5 metres. All happened in the blink of an eye, but they were moving backwards quickly, giving the player an acre of space.

Thought is was an interesting one, not sure if it was right or wrong or what should have happened.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Geelong were a kick-mark team for several years.

Of all teams the stand rule benefited them the most.

I am in no way a conspiracy theorist but I absolutely believe Chris Scott complained about us to HQ on multiple occasions.

The irony in this is that Richmond are often painted as “pushing the envelope” with our strangling of oppo ball movement but everyone forgets that with ball in hand we are probably the most entertaining team since Geelong in the late 80s.

The bottom line is that we rubbed the AFL the wrong way in 2020 and they’ve been knives out ever since.

Reactions: 10 users