Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Just finished reading the Neil Balme biography and Neil has some things to say about SHocking. They used to be pretty close when Neil was footy manager at Geelong. In fact Neil said he felt comfortable leaving the position because he was confident SHocking would handle the position after he left. However, now Neil says he can hardly talk to SHocking after what he's done to the game !

So, you aren't imagining things, even the Godfather of modern football culture, the Guru of Premiership Clubs can't stand what SHocking has done to screw up the world's best game. History will judge him and it won't be pretty.
Neil said and I quote when asked about the new rules via Hocking at a pre game function "What idiot came up with those?"

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Neil said and I quote when asked about the new rules via Hocking at a pre game function "What idiot came up with those?"
He's said that in radio interviews as well, he well & truly knows who but wasn't about to state it publicly tho, the media would have a field day over that.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Am i alone in getting sick of seeing this fools name constantly come up.

Lets lock this thread and be done with it

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

Alternatively, we can change the thread title to *smile* Cheating *smile*. That way his name won’t show because the swear filter will censor it but we will know who it’s referring to :)

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Imagine this happening in the Premier League or NFL?
They would've stormed Head Office of the competition to get him thrown out.

While we all sat Back and watch this blke
cheat and ruin the game to make Geelong successful. It's the biggest scam in the game on 50 years. A employee of the competition incharge of the rules, changing them and then walking out of the job to join a team that goes onto winning the competition. It's fken rigged. The game was quality when we won it. *smile* heads like longmire were playing a shiitt brand not fken us.

Reactions: 4 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Nah, I like the opportunity to call him a *smile* cheating prick bastard who can gagf.
It makes me feel a bit better each time.

*smile* cheating prick bastard

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

It falls into the same category as the ARC decision that cost us an elimination final Turk. It is galling, upsetting and annoying but in the end there is nothing we can do about it.
What has happened has happened and I think all we can hope for is that some of the rules he introduced with get changed or at least watered down.
The 3 rules/interpretations I would like to see the AFL deal with are
1. The stand rule.
2. Ruck nomination.
3. Unsufficient intent to keep the ball in play.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'd like to see a conflict of interest clause put in ASAP.
Minimum 2 years away from clubland to head up snr AFL management positions.
Works both ways. Can't come straight from clubland & can't return straight to clubland.

Reactions: 12 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Works both ways. Can't come straight from clubland & can't return straight to clubland.
That would mean that Benny Gale could not be appointed AFL CEO.
Good for us

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

It might restrict good talent moving to AFL house. But maybe those restrictions on a return move. i.e. AFL to Clubland or vice versa, first time, no need to wait. A return back the other way does need some waiting time.

But it won't happen. It would be seen as a restriction of trade as long time AFL industry workers, at the admin level, wouldn't have too many opportunities outside of the AFL so they will look after each other.

More chance of preventing politicians from joining lobby/industry groups that they helped pass favorable legislation for.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
You are talking about a corrupt organisation that is the master of cover-ups and run like a boys club. I still love the day when WADA intervened in the bombers scandal and screwed the afl.

• Love

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013

Not a bad idea, turk.

I went to see my GP because I have what I thought was a reflux problem, but my GP is one smart cookie. After lots of questioning he identified that I do a little vomit in my mouth every time I see this thread pop up! :cool:

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I agree, although I don't think I should have to.

In a league like the AFL you would normally see movement between clubs and the game's administrators. The problem is that the AFL is such an insular boys' club that this sort of measure is necessary. There should be no need for this but there is because of the way the AFL acts. Even if there is no impropriety there is the widespread perception of unequal treatment, moreso than in other comparable sporting competitions.

Something needs to change, any organisation which presides over a competition which is massively popular and where the supporter base has such loyalty to the code, and yet that organisation is universally loathed, needs to take a good hard look at itself. Or, better, it needs some fresh talent to shake up the insularity.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As an aside the off season is the time to watch old games. There are plenty of fox footy but also we can pull out the finals games from the glory years as I am sure many of us have
The point is that after watching plenty of games from the pre stand rule times I still can't work out the problem that SHocking was trying to solve. What was so wrong in the few years before then that made this rule necessary?

Reactions: 7 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
It falls into the same category as the ARC decision that cost us an elimination final Turk. It is galling, upsetting and annoying but in the end there is nothing we can do about it.
What has happened has happened and I think all we can hope for is that some of the rules he introduced with get changed or at least watered down.
1. The stand rule.
2. Ruck nomination.
The first 2 are particularly galling. How many times do you see the guy on the mark looking plaintively at the umpire to call play on while the player taking the kick is way off the line and all but level with the bloke on the mark. “Oh yeah” says the ump “play on, play on.” Damage is done.

Ruck nomination. A joke. Just penalise the side that has the extra player being the 3rd one up in the contest. Why on earth does someone have to nominate. Just penalise the infringement. But no, we will have 10 seconds of *smile* time while we get our representative from each club to say it’s me. Just pay a free against the side who has the extra player contesting. They will stop in a hurry.

Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
1. The stand rule.
2. Ruck nomination.
The ruck nomination rule just has to stay if only one up is allowed otherwise ball ups will be a shambles. Agree with everything else, especially 1 and 3.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
As an aside the off season is the time to watch old games. There are plenty of fox footy but also we can pull out the finals games from the glory years as I am sure many of us have
The point is that after watching plenty of games from the pre stand rule times I still can't work out the problem that SHocking was trying to solve. What was so wrong in the few years before then that made this rule necessary?
He didn’t like the way we manned the mark aggressively, fully believes it cost the Cats the 2020 GF. He then managed to lobby the AFL ‘media’ to convince everyone that this manning the mark was part of the problem with low scoring. No mention of it advantaging his side significantly. It was rushed through, had no effect on scoring and ultimately helped the Cats get their flag.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
He didn’t like the way we manned the mark aggressively, fully believes it cost the Cats the 2020 GF. He then managed to lobby the AFL ‘media’ to convince everyone that this manning the mark was part of the problem with low scoring. No mention of it advantaging his side significantly. It was rushed through, had no effect on scoring and ultimately helped the Cats get their flag.
Remember the days when there were going to be rule changes, they were trialed in the preseason or the reserves (VFL) to see how they went and maybe iron out the kinks, before being brought in? That didn’t happen under SHocking, especially with this rule

Reactions: 5 users