Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
No talk of relative historical standing of the comp while the crows where the dominant side.

All of a sudden, its poor?

Mmmmm

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:
Ro Co was pretty complementary of us on SEN last night I thought.

yep, agree.

ninjahaha said:
Still many who dont give high value to the direction we have taken the game.

The pressure on the man and the ferocity with which we tackle makes the game hard and tough. Most teams are trying to emulate this now.

If you read through all the posts about the game on the SEN facebook pages, many are complaining about the quality of the game and that Melbourne were rubbish.

Melbourne are not rubbish. Hawthorn are not rubbish. I expect both teams to make the 8. it's just that most footy fans haven't clued up to the fact that our pressure game forces these mistakes from the opposition.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
caesar said:
Dermie agrees we are the best team but said : "Richmond fans will hate me saying this but it is a POOR Comp. They are far from a great side"

We might actually be saying the same thing if it was e.g. St.Kilda who were 2017 premiers.

Still, its not normal practice for commentators to be potting the overall standard. Brereton might be called in for some re-Neducation for not toeing the "everything is wonderful" line.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
If you read through all the posts about the game on the SEN facebook pages, many are complaining about the quality of the game and that Melbourne were rubbish.

Melbourne are not rubbish. Hawthorn are not rubbish. I expect both teams to make the 8. it's just that most footy fans haven't clued up to the fact that our pressure game forces these mistakes from the opposition.

It wasn't a great game, but conditions were sub-tropical with humidity in the 90's. We did what we had to do and were too physically powerful for a young Melbourne side.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
egobourne fans in the crowd really irate that they could not match it with us.

Particularly in the first half, the old "how did they win the flag" comment got a good run.

I had to point out that we were simply the best team last year.
Got told that we only won the cup because of a dream run with injuries

"first the dogs, and then Richmond..."

I couldn't resist..."maybe Melbourne will have a chance one day"...

They were filthy because they just cannot get their heads around how strong we are.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe it is a weaker comp, who cares? God knows Hawthorn was the worst triple-premiership side I've ever seen. Brisbane of '01-'03 would have smashed them by 10 goals.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Fighting Fury said:
egobourne fans in the crowd really irate that they could not match it with us.

Particularly in the first half, the old "how did they win the flag" comment got a good run.

I had to point out that we were simply the best team last year.
Got told that we only won the cup because of a dream run with injuries

"first the dogs, and then Richmond..."

I couldn't resist..."maybe Melbourne will have a chance one day"...

They were filthy because they just cannot get their heads around how strong we are.

You should have said "maybe Melbourne will have a chance one day, when their players don't sook up about doing a tough pre season camp. Until then they'll always be soft"

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
What so called journos forget is that teams build their reputations. When top sides start their runs a lot of players were not recognised then as being as good as they are now with the benefit of hindsight. How do they know that Nick Vlastuin won't be seen as good as Corey Enright or David Astbury like Justin Leppitsch etc ? If we keep winning and win more flags then these guys will be seen as great players as well

Noone recognised Brisbane as a truly great team in 2001 or Hawthorn in 2008, their players forged their reputations through years of finals success.

In the meantime we have a cup in the display cabinet, we are on top of the ladder and flying. Everyone else including the media nuff nuffs can go and get .........

It's like by childhood and youth, the fear and loathing of Richmond is growing and it's just fantastic

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Dermie is a bogan trying to be an intellect. It’s quite sad. His head movements and facial expressions when he’s listening to someone else talk are absolutely hilarious. He’s actually a full blown flog imo.

In regards to the it being a weak competition, he forgot to mention that Hawthorne just managed to win 3 flags when the draft had been compromised to the *smile* house. Nope, no mention of it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
evo said:
Ro Co was pretty complementary of us on SEN last night I thought.

Same this morning with Huddo. Going by what TTT said, you can read between the lines on these two someway, but RoCo been a Bummer a-hole most times, I was surprised he was more creditable to us this time. Maybe been given a spot as host on SEN made him realise to cut bias and not be subjective.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Spud must be a champion fella as it’s the only way he could be a AA panel member. The drunk Collingwood and North supporters I have a beer with at the pub make more sense then he does and they still think Rene Kink is still playing

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
There is something in it, the media's perception are often out of whack with the reality. Clarko for example never gets bagged no matter how woeful Hawthorn are on any given day (last week for example) - and as has been pointed out the Hawthorn renovation is pretty much a facade only.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
it isnt a, poor comp, it is a very even competition

the talent is very evenly spread. you dont and wont get teams with 7 or 8 elite players again, like brisbane or geelong in their prime

all teams have top end quality players, but most have no more than 4.

now,more than ever, your bottom 6 players (and depth) are critical to a good season.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The media are reactive , very rarely do they predict any better than the man on the street ,

Even the great Brisbane and Geelong teams werent predicted in advance , when they start belting everybody , then they ask ...... are they the real deal , what do you think ?

I can remember them saying St kilda were better than Geelong when they were both rebuilding ,

And a few years ago , they said Melbournes rebuild was going better than ours

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
This rubbish about a weak comp is disappointing from Derm.

All last year and even this we’ve been hearing how good the crows are and how talent laden the giants are and just how unbelievably good they’ll be in 2016 onwards.

You can bet your left one that these comments wouldn’t be surfacing had the crows or giants won last year. They’d be lauded rightly as a great team, because only great teams win GFs.

And has been pointed out many times, we not only beat the other top 4 sides, we SMASHED them all in the finals. There is no way in the world that would have happened if we were ‘far from a great team’. Different to the bulldogs in the way they just fell over the line (and I still rate them as a pretty darn good side that year).
I wouldn’t have picked Derm as being the salty type just because we showed up the ‘Real Deal Hawks’ as being NOT the real deal at all (wouldn’t help his frame of mind that lolnorf did the same).
As a club we are as strong as any of the modern day premiers and then you look at how good our vfl side is. Our vfl side would scare a few first teams at the moment. Seriously.
Geelong’s win over Power wasn’t downgraded because of how weak Port were as a finalist that year. Cats get labelled the greatest team of all. And they were extremely good. Port were one of the weaker finalist I’ve seen though.
Hardwick’s biggest problem at the moment is who to keep out of the side and the clubs biggest problem is how to keep so many good players on the list, or who to move on with compulsory turn over numbers.
And the rfc built this up by itself. Now Hawks are no longer ahead of the compromised draft curve, let’s see just how smart they all really are.

Now and then I read bomberblitz because it’s a good old larf. A saltier, more deluded bunch you will not find. Some of them still think they have a better list than us! Hahahaha! Some of the stuff written on that site is pure gold. ‘I’d still rather Hurley than Rance’ :rotfl But even a couple of them are begrudgingly admitting we are a good side. They hate it of course, which is what you’d expect and that’s fair enough. But at least they can see what’s in front of their noses when they watch our games. They can’t believe it. Hate it. Would rather scoop their eyeballs out with a hot spoon. They want all tigers fans to spontaneously combust. But they can’t deny our team plays footy the way they wish theirs did.

So up yours Derm! I reckon his comments are clouded by the fact that hawks are now just an average team and he can’t quite come to grips with that and that other teams have taken their place. His comments belong in the More Brereton Absurdity thread. (What a great thread that was!)

(Ps. Yeah, spud does come across as a grade-A moron)

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
ninjahaha said:
No talk of relative historical standing of the comp while the crows where the dominant side.

All of a sudden, its poor?

Mmmmm

Exactly. Crows greatest things since breadcrumbs aren't they. We all know how that ended.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Mac said:
Now and then I read bomberblitz because it’s a good old larf. A saltier, more deluded bunch you will not find. Some of them still think they have a better list than us! Hahahaha! Some of the stuff written on that site is pure gold. ‘I’d still rather Hurley than Rance’ :rotfl But even a couple of them are begrudgingly admitting we are a good side. They hate it of course, which is what you’d expect and that’s fair enough. But at least they can see what’s in front of their noses when they watch our games. They can’t believe it. Hate it. Would rather scoop their eyeballs out with a hot spoon. They want all tigers fans to spontaneously combust. But they can’t deny our team plays footy the way they wish theirs did.

We all need a good comedy and this is it. Hope the Pies smash the *smile* out of these Bumheads today.