Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure how correct that is. Cotch's game has changed over the last three years to be an absolute bull in the contested stuff, but looking further back he had plenty of class and skill on the outside. Even won a Brownlow while doing it.

Cotch's ability to play great footy inside and out puts him easily ahead of Pendelbury in my opinion.

It's not the only measure but Pendlebury has been in the AA squad (top 40 players) ten times, Cotchin two.

Pendlebury was top 16 in the Brownlow ten years in a row. Gary Dempsey is the only other player to manage this.

Reckon Pendlebury's been undersold over the journey, but that's (traditionally at least) the Collingwood way.

Would I swap careers if I was Cotchin? No way known.

Reactions: 4 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
FWIW I agree that Cotchin is not on Pendlebury's level as a pure footballer, in the same way that Pendlebury can't touch Cotchin as a leader of men.
and the brownlow
Anzac medal .......oooooo please you get that medal for just turning up ................its like a 'we have to give this medal to someone' ......

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure how correct that is. Cotch's game has changed over the last three years to be an absolute bull in the contested stuff, but looking further back he had plenty of class and skill on the outside. Even won a Brownlow while doing it.

Cotch's ability to play great footy inside and out puts him easily ahead of Pendelbury in my opinion.

I think its accurate. to me, Cotchin is no more than a workhorse like a Lambert or a Graham these days. yes his leaderhip puts him on a much higher pedestal, but from a pure footy perspective, Pendlebury wins comfortably.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I find it hard to see how you quantify leadership either.

You can chart Cotchin's growth as a leader, from taking over at an almost absurdly young age, thinking he had to be all things to all people and nearly throwing in the towel at the end of 2016 with a winning percentage of a little above 50% (which is where Pendlebury sits now). Cotchin has grown in leaps and bounds as a leader and taken his teammates with him while finding his niche as a player, to the point where he ranks among the greatest RFC captains. Doubt that Pendlebury's leadership is rated as high at Collingwood, even on the verge of 150 games as skipper.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's amazing how all the best leaders seem to have the best teams around them, much like the best coaches.

If you're implying they are great leaders because they have a great team around, I think it's the opposite. It's the great leader that forges a great team.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Once again Durwayne Russell at his best.
They were comparing Penderbury to Cotchin.
Penderbury Premiership player
3 B&F, 3 AA's, 3 Anzac Medals blah blah.
Russell blows in excitement
Then they bring up Cotchins CV
2 premiership captain
I brownlow
3 B&Fs
1 AA.
Russell's response "only one all Australian" ..change subject.

How about those 2 sliver things they all play for you flken doofus

There is such an anti RFC narrative in the media.

Pendlebury is a great bloody player but he aint a Brownlow Medalist and he aint a 2 time Premiership Captain, Maxwell was the skipper.

Media cretins.

Reactions: 4 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
This is just it tho, nobody has yet figured it out, we'll dominate until someone finally clicks.
My tip, we have been figured out! Everyone knows the way Richmond play, four quarters of uncompromising football, if they want to win that's what they have to do. Against Richmond, you can't take your foot off the gas. As it stands, there hasn't been a team that can do it! The prelim is a great example, Geelong felt comfortable, and wooshka a 19 point lead is lost and they are demoralised, and don't know how to get started again.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
The commentary after the eagles win had us only coming back and winning after the rain and only just holding off an eagles comeback. In reality we adjusted and had equalised in the dry second quarter and only some very questionable free kicks close to goal kept them in it - notable were 2 against jack for ‘studs up’ (where is that old school pre eye roll emoticon when you need it mr t?) and a couple to their Rioli in front of goal. although it frustrates the hell out of me that the Ning nongs are so scewed in their ‘observations’ it is great for us to be constantly overlooked as contenders. We can just keep focussing on winning footy games with little fuss and let Geelong puff themselves up and put pressure on themselves. Pretty much every criticism has been wrong and they continue to laugh at our methods as flukey. Great. Long may it last.
Not paying big Ivie that mark in front of goal, at the end of the third was criminal

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
The commentary after the eagles win had us only coming back and winning after the rain and only just holding off an eagles comeback. In reality we adjusted and had equalised in the dry second quarter and only some very questionable free kicks close to goal kept them in it - notable were 2 against jack for ‘studs up’ (where is that old school pre eye roll emoticon when you need it mr t?) and a couple to their Rioli in front of goal. although it frustrates the hell out of me that the Ning nongs are so scewed in their ‘observations’ it is great for us to be constantly overlooked as contenders. We can just keep focussing on winning footy games with little fuss and let Geelong puff themselves up and put pressure on themselves. Pretty much every criticism has been wrong and they continue to laugh at our methods as flukey. Great. Long may it last.

Here it is ... :rolleyes:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah not sure I buy that, I'd wager there have been plenty of great leaders of poor teams and vice versa. Success has 100 Fathers......

Then I'll bet those poor teams performed better under that great leader and I bet those great teams could have been even better if the leader was great.

Leadership is a real tangible and it's a fundamental factor of team performance.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I reckon we are splitting hairs with Cotch and Pendlebury.

They are both champions and great leaders - Cotch has moved is game into a Dangerfield mode - does the inspirational tackles and lifts when the team needs it (unlike Danger though) whist Pendlebury is pure silk and is so damaging with his class.

Cotch is ours so there is no debate really but they are both great.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon I'd rate Pendles as a slightly better footballer than the Cotch. But Cotch has an inspirational beast mode that Pendles can only dream about.

Cotch early days had a necessary vein of uncompromising nasty that he didn't quite know how to apply properly, he then changed his game to trying to be all things to football, n started with the little dinky chip n double possession accumulator game that went absolutely nowhere.
Last three years he's found his perfect groove. Tackling and harassing like a man possessed, he inspires every one of his team mates with his ruthless physical hard edged footy. Cotch's footy isn't pretty n smooth or stat busting quantity but by hell it's exhilarating n bloody effective.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If Chimp has one obvious fault, it's his goal celebration. Just looks so uncoordinated.