Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
We play the way we want to play, when we need to change we can because our players and coaches are the top percentile of their craft.
You want to beat us, don't let us play the way we want for 4 quarters.
Not too many clubs have even close to our depth of skill across the Richmond FC.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I find Port more convincing than Brisbane. Not quite sure what Brisbane need to get to the next level but they do have a few deficiencies.

Port are very good, yes, we could have beat them by more in the PF: 6 more scoring shots and a 6 point win does indicate that. But they were damned close in that game. Port are a threat although it would be interesting to see how they would go against us at the MCG.

The clearance stats are an interesting one. AFL Tables lists clearances but doesn't distinguish centre clearances - the clearances in the QF were 38 (BL) to 37 (Rich) so I would say our focus on winning clearances started before the finals and it was not the reason we lost to Brisbane.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I find Port more convincing than Brisbane. Not quite sure what Brisbane need to get to the next level but they do have a few deficiencies.

Port are very good, yes, we could have beat them by more in the PF: 6 more scoring shots and a 6 point win does indicate that. But they were damned close in that game. Port are a threat although it would be interesting to see how they would go against us at the MCG.

The clearance stats are an interesting one. AFL Tables lists clearances but doesn't distinguish centre clearances - the clearances in the QF were 38 (BL) to 37 (Rich) so I would say our focus on winning clearances started before the finals and it was not the reason we lost to Brisbane.

DS
Agree. We had our best team available and were on our A-game against Port and they kept up. No one else has been able to do that since the finals of 2017. They are legit.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
No reason why Brisbane and Port shouldn't both be contending again. I was slow to accept Brisbane as legit, but they've had a couple of tastes now, beat us on our merits and are young enough to keep improving.

Port's list is very solid on paper but they are in the risk zone regarding age. Westhoff fell off the perch last year, Gray and Boak are 32-33 and there are half a dozen other players on the wrong side of 30. They also played 9 of 19 at Adelaide Oval and had a good run with injury.

As said, I think both will be thereabouts but there is a little more risk that 2020 was a last hurrah for Port.

Reactions: 1 users

shad

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2010
Agree. We had our best team available and were on our A-game against Port and they kept up. No one else has been able to do that since the finals of 2017. They are legit.

I think the rain helped them as they were way too short in defence. Picking up Alir is a great get for them and i still can't figure out why Sydney let him go.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Picking up Alir is a great get for them and i still can't figure out why Sydney let him go.
Longmire didn't seem to be a fan. Watched a Swans game where he caught the eye several times but was dropped for the next match. He tends to chance his arm charging at the loose ball/ball in dispute - his opponent is loose if he doesn't win it/spike it. Playing him in the ruck at 194cm suggested they'd given up on him.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We play the way we want to play, when we need to change we can because our players and coaches are the top percentile of their craft.
You want to beat us, don't let us play the way we want for 4 quarters.
Not too many clubs have even close to our depth of skill across the Richmond FC.
Teams wanting to beat us need to play 4 1/4's themselves, add on to that stopping us doing the same.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I think the rain helped them as they were way too short in defence. Picking up Alir is a great get for them and i still can't figure out why Sydney let him go.
Longmire is a boring coach, much like his mentor and his mentors predecessor. Alir is too exciting for their brand.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
No reason why Brisbane and Port shouldn't both be contending again. I was slow to accept Brisbane as legit, but they've had a couple of tastes now, beat us on our merits and are young enough to keep improving.

Port's list is very solid on paper but they are in the risk zone regarding age. Westhoff fell off the perch last year, Gray and Boak are 32-33 and there are half a dozen other players on the wrong side of 30. They also played 9 of 19 at Adelaide Oval and had a good run with injury.

As said, I think both will be thereabouts but there is a little more risk that 2020 was a last hurrah for Port.

History shows one top 4 team from the previous year will bomb out of the top 4 and usually misses the 8 altogether - I agree that Brisbane‘s form looks legit so that leaves either Geelong or Port - I am hoping the cats bomb for obvious reasons but it may well be Port.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
History shows one top 4 team from the previous year will bomb out of the top 4 and usually misses the 8 altogether - I agree that Brisbane‘s form looks legit so that leaves either Geelong or Port - I am hoping the cats bomb for obvious reasons but it may well be Port.
Of the top 4 teams from last yr Port are the one that need to prove they can back up last yr.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Brisbane are nearing maturity and have a swagger. It could be their year to miss a beat while still developing.
I don't know the truth but feel like Port are older than us but have some quality young players just missing the middle ground, well coached and straddled the mental fence last year. Missed the best chance they will ever have so might be up for another year.
Geelong, recruited to stay there abouts, will still beat most bottom teams and have an almighty home ground advantage.
Think last years teams are well placed to challenge for second to 8th at best.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Why not both?

123cups

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2016
Brisbane reminds me of us early on, except their coach and players make more excuses than we ever did. They’re my number one concern. I’m hoping their excuses and flaws in attitude continue and their trajectory follows Hinkley’s Port teams over the years.

Port are old, but Hinkley’s attitude after the prelim was first class. They’ve got their heads screwed on better.

They still fear the Adelaide media though, you can see it. The greatest minor premiership in history (by percentage?) allowed them to easily dismiss media criticism, but they’re unlikely to be in that category next year after losing the prelim. The media will be worse. It’s be like Geelong’s finals record being talked about after every good H&A win, adding more and more pressure if they eventually do make finals. Hopefully their positivity is a bit of a charade, kind of like Collingwood‘s depth of character department.

123cups

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2016
cats are all in for now with a steep cliff approaching

Adds even more pressure. The first sign of a crack in their narrative and their belief will drop off a cliff.

Geelong might be a threat if they can handle all this added pressure in big games though.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I was listening to the Adelaide radio call of the 2017 GF.
I lost count how many times, one of the commentators kept mentioning that he didn't rate us and with 11 minutes to go they all thought they were still a chance.
The game was over the minute after Lambert kicked his goal.
And if they looked closely 2 of there goals after half time came from direct from 50's.
Maybe now they realise how good we are..

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon Port are the ones to watch. Young, quick and going to get better. And they are aggressive.

And if Bont goes forward more in a Dusty type role, JGH can contribute 30 goals and Treloar plays 80% of games the Dogs will be there.

Attacking football will be king this year.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I reckon Port are the ones to watch. Young, quick and going to get better. And they are aggressive.

And if Bont goes forward more in a Dusty type role, JGH can contribute 30 goals and Treloar plays 80% of games the Dogs will be there.

Attacking football will be king this year.
Attacking football might be flavour of 2021, but we are the kings of Pressure.
And i almost forgot to mention we have the best defensive forwards in the comp. Rioli Lambert Castagna Bolton and Naish.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Adds even more pressure. The first sign of a crack in their narrative and their belief will drop off a cliff.

Geelong might be a threat if they can handle all this added pressure in big games though.
GeeLOL can't handle the pressure in big games as it is, now thier savier is injured & Cameron is being talked up as the next Ablett Snr, he even has the #5....