Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Brisbane reminds me of us early on, except their coach and players make more excuses than we ever did. They’re my number one concern. I’m hoping their excuses and flaws in attitude continue and their trajectory follows Hinkley’s Port teams over the years.

Port are old, but Hinkley’s attitude after the prelim was first class. They’ve got their heads screwed on better.

They still fear the Adelaide media though, you can see it. The greatest minor premiership in history (by percentage?) allowed them to easily dismiss media criticism, but they’re unlikely to be in that category next year after losing the prelim. The media will be worse. It’s be like Geelong’s finals record being talked about after every good H&A win, adding more and more pressure if they eventually do make finals. Hopefully their positivity is a bit of a charade, kind of like Collingwood‘s depth of character department.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
cats are all in for now with a steep cliff approaching

Adds even more pressure. The first sign of a crack in their narrative and their belief will drop off a cliff.

Geelong might be a threat if they can handle all this added pressure in big games though.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I was listening to the Adelaide radio call of the 2017 GF.
I lost count how many times, one of the commentators kept mentioning that he didn't rate us and with 11 minutes to go they all thought they were still a chance.
The game was over the minute after Lambert kicked his goal.
And if they looked closely 2 of there goals after half time came from direct from 50's.
Maybe now they realise how good we are..

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon Port are the ones to watch. Young, quick and going to get better. And they are aggressive.

And if Bont goes forward more in a Dusty type role, JGH can contribute 30 goals and Treloar plays 80% of games the Dogs will be there.

Attacking football will be king this year.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I reckon Port are the ones to watch. Young, quick and going to get better. And they are aggressive.

And if Bont goes forward more in a Dusty type role, JGH can contribute 30 goals and Treloar plays 80% of games the Dogs will be there.

Attacking football might be flavour of 2021, but we are the kings of Pressure.
And i almost forgot to mention we have the best defensive forwards in the comp. Rioli Lambert Castagna Bolton and Naish.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Adds even more pressure. The first sign of a crack in their narrative and their belief will drop off a cliff.

Geelong might be a threat if they can handle all this added pressure in big games though.
GeeLOL can't handle the pressure in big games as it is, now thier savier is injured & Cameron is being talked up as the next Ablett Snr, he even has the #5....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I was listening to the Adelaide radio call of the 2017 GF.
I lost count how many times, one of the commentators kept mentioning that he didn't rate us and with 11 minutes to go they all thought they were still a chance.
The game was over the minute after Lambert kicked his goal.
And if they looked closely 2 of there goals after half time came from direct from 50's.
Maybe now they realise how good we are..
I have heard that call, how was the carry on after Tex's goal, they were certain they were coming back to win it....

I have a relative in SA who says all the media over there is about how Port are going to win it this yr.... Hinkley has never had them up 2 yrs in a row so we'll see how that goes. They'll never get a better chance than they got last yr & they blew it!

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

IMO this suits us down to the ground.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Wasn’t aware that Port had such a favourable draw. After losing a prelim by a kick, they don’t play any of the top five sides twice. That isn’t how the fixture is supposed to work!

St.Kilda on the other hand cops Richmond, Geelong, Port and West Coast twice. On paper that is ridiculously tough.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Wasn’t aware that Port had such a favourable draw. After losing a prelim by a kick, they don’t play any of the top five sides twice. That isn’t how the fixture is supposed to work!

St.Kilda on the other hand cops Richmond, Geelong, Port and West Coast twice. On paper that is ridiculously tough.
And we play them back in Adelaide after playing them twice last year.
They aren't any good

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Since Port Adelaide entered the AFL in 1997 we have played them in 32 H&A games. 21 of those games (65%o_Oo_O) have been played at Port's home ground in Adelaide. 10 have been played at our home ground in Melbourne (only 6 at the Go_Oo_O) and one of them was a game we sold to play in Darwin.

That is an absolutely ridiculous disparity in a national competition. No wonder they have a reasonably good overall record against us (including finals 19 wins, 14 losses, one draw).

Yet we have to play them exclusively in Adelaide again this year:rolleyes:. That'll make it 22 out of 33.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
You have to remember though that each year we are requesting to have home games to our best financial advantage, which is with other Melbourne clubs, so it is inevitable we will host interstate teams less. Those clubs are also requesting games against us which adds to the likelihood.
Yes I understand that there are other factors at play but the Port Adelaide discrepancy is absurd. There is no way they should have been able to play the 2/3 of their H&A games against us at their home ground. No doubt 18 teams in a 22 game season has its challenges but the AFL should and can do a better job than that.

Reactions: 2 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I have heard that call, how was the carry on after Tex's goal, they were certain they were coming back to win it....

I have a relative in SA who says all the media over there is about how Port are going to win it this yr.... Hinkley has never had them up 2 yrs in a row so we'll see how that goes. They'll never get a better chance than they got last yr & they blew it!
Duursma lol.

I love the 2017 5AA call. Totally parochial of course and that's fine. I just love the old school vibe about it. There are plenty of moments when they gave up the ghost and swallowed humble pie too. A great call on a very very tough day for them.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You have to remember though that each year we are requesting to have home games to our best financial advantage, which is with other Melbourne clubs, so it is inevitable we will host interstate teams less. Those clubs are also requesting games against us which adds to the likelihood.
Yeah, home games against Port would be very low on our list of fixture requests.

Average h&a crowds for home games in Victoria since 1997

Avg CrowdOppGms
64,315Ess22
62,597Coll19
61,978Carl22
47,064Melb20
46,771Haw19
44,958Geel14
43,146St.K13
38,803N.M.13
37,516Syd18
37,413W.B.15
34,506Bris15
34,478G.C.2
33,169W.C.15
32,879GWS4
31,298Adel12
29,087Frem15
26,913P.A.10

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yes I understand that there are other factors at play but the Port Adelaide discrepancy is absurd. There is no way they should have been able to play the 2/3 of their H&A games against us at their home ground. No doubt 18 teams in a 22 game season has its challenges but the AFL should and can do a better job than that.
It's not a draw for fairness, it's a draw for revenue.
Take a look at the amount of times we were forced to travel to Krapdinia park year after year when we were *smile* n clubs like Colonwood, Essendrugs n Carlscum never went near the place.

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
This is true, tho i'd imagine that given we play half the Interstate sides at home/away it should be rotated a lot more than it is. Since the Crows entered the comp it's basically a 50/50 split as to who has hosted who over that time. The Port disparity is nothing compared to the Gold Coast games which is worse, which could well be fore the reason you mention, ditto GWS.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Duursma lol.

I love the 2017 5AA call. Totally parochial of course and that's fine. I just love the old school vibe about it. There are plenty of moments when they gave up the ghost and swallowed humble pie too. A great call on a very very tough day for them.
To thier credit they were very professional in the last 10/15mins i thought

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I noticed that Champion Data have ranked the teams in draw difficulty....

How the *smile* does PA get the easiest draw.......a team that was on top all season.........??
Gilligan n his mates desperate to give an interstate side the best possible chance of making finals n then playing enough home finals to perhaps make it to a Granny.