Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I watched it the other night for the first time in a while as well. The commentary is horrendously biased. Especially McAvaney. Remember how Ladhams punched Balta in the balls and there was conjecture about him being reported and potentially missing the GF if they made it? In the last quarter he kicks a goal to tighten the margin and Bruce absolutely creams himself.

“He’s playing next week! He’s playing next week!!”

Bruce is an embarrassment these days and should retire.

Yes there were a few things like that but I was flabbergasted by the general vibe during play and how their frees were deserved and all of ours were questioned. Our goals got nada but theirs was pure ecstasy.

I love it. If we come through again this year, the asylums will be overcrowded.

Reactions: 3 users

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
The last 10 minutes Port were trying for free kicks every second they got.
Boak lead the charge trying to milk a free.
I reckon they could be worse then Geelong, but no one is worst the Selwood, but Boak is up there
I love this game and rate it as one of our best wins. I have watched it heaps. The attitude of the port players was pathetic - diving for frees and hopelessly trying to play tough footy - accompanied with bizarre muscle poses. Only Rozee was mentioned by BT for his continual diving, I don't know how other port players were not called out for staging. Port totally blew the game by loosing their focus, whilst we kept our focus the whole game. Accompanied with the commentators, the umpiring (which wasn't its usual horrendous standard against us) and the feral crowd it was a superb win.

Reactions: 9 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I watched it the other night for the first time in a while as well. The commentary is horrendously biased. Especially McAvaney. Remember how Ladhams punched Balta in the balls and there was conjecture about him being reported and potentially missing the GF if they made it? In the last quarter he kicks a goal to tighten the margin and Bruce absolutely creams himself.

Bruce is mainly responsible for my own use of the mute button during footy telecasts

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne

Isn’t it funny how the Tiger brain works.
I watched the last quarter of this game too on Friday night.
Superb win on their home deck with the feral Port supporters going mental.
As others mentioned, commentary was ordinary from Bruce. His barracking was sickly. That comment about Ladhams playing next week was bizarre.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Been working my way through the victories from last year n watched the prelim this aft. Enjoyed it nearly as much as I did watching it on the day.

Bunch of Tupperware tough Pordadalayde players going the blub after getting their arses handed to them on a plate.

One obvious thing strikes hard on the thought processes when watching games over the last couple of years. Especially the big games or close hard fought ones.
Way to many opposition sides play too many game moments looking for the maggots to intervene n help out or hesitate for the whistle. Jaaack would be our biggest offender at this but pretty much every other player simply goes head down arse up until the whistle n extremely rarely waste any time disputing after, they just shrug n roll into the next instant of the game.
Dunno if this is some of that mindfulness stuff of staying in the moment, but I reckon we are way ahead of the rest of the comp in remaining focused on the important *smile*.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I love this game and rate it as one of our best wins. I have watched it heaps. The attitude of the port players was pathetic - diving for frees and hopelessly trying to play tough footy - accompanied with bizarre muscle poses. Only Rozee was mentioned by BT for his continual diving, I don't know how other port players were not called out for staging. Port totally blew the game by loosing their focus, whilst we kept our focus the whole game. Accompanied with the commentators, the umpiring (which wasn't its usual horrendous standard against us) and the feral crowd it was a superb win.
I think they just got desperate.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Problem with the media is they are still look at the players or groups of players on a talent basis only. They look at stats and figures and it blinds them to what makes a good player great. The Bont and WB midfield mates are great on paper, but when they are out on the grass, with the pressure dialed up, they are nowhere! CD has no ability to provide a stat for mental tuffness! Our boys 99% of the time are calm and composed and that is why this current Tiger group are the Champs! Until other teams have what we have between the ears, we will keep winning!
I recall 2-3 yrs about we had a reigning Brownlow Medalist getting 40+ in consecutive games which had the media drooling, what they forgot to mention was his team lost those games....

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Yes. Didn’t someone say this time last year that the Collingwood midfield was the greatest midfield ever ?
At 1 point the media were telling us Melbourne had the best midfield....
That was over the summer leading into the '19 season, CD even had them rated as the best list, they finished 17th....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Yes there were a few things like that but I was flabbergasted by the general vibe during play and how their frees were deserved and all of ours were questioned. Our goals got nada but theirs was pure ecstasy.

I love it. If we come through again this year, the asylums will be overcrowded.
Ppl still carry on over "that" deliberate, yet not a word on some of the other horrendous calls that went both ways.
it's easy to forget after "that" deliberate they still had 8mins to win the game....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I am not surprised at all, the media can't even call out Stagerfield for his antics & he's a serial offender. Yet they'll hang Grimes for doing it as they did Rance. I'd have no issue either way if they were consistent about it.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Ppl still carry on over "that" deliberate, yet not a word on some of the other horrendous calls that went both ways.
it's easy to forget after "that" deliberate they still had 8mins to win the game....
That was as clear a deliberate as any I have seen in years. Hartlett clearly had no other intention than to knock the ball over the line. If he had have wanted to hit to team mates either side of him he could have easily knocked it in their direction. We had 6 paid against us in that game and none were as deliberate as that. Bolton was tackled and spun 360 degrees and he handballed it over when trying to get rid of it. Should have been given the benefit of the doubt given he was being tackled in the way he was. Short kicked one towards a team mate but the ball bounced 45 degrees and over the boundary line. How is that deliberate?

Port supporters are massive whiners. Had all the favours last year (incluiding 2 home finals against teams that hadn't been in their homes for 100 days) but still couldn't get it done. They would do well to remember that in that final we won by 6 points but also had 6 more scoring shots; all behinds. We kick a bit straighter and it's a 3-4 goal margin.

Reactions: 9 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeh, we did it the hard way last year, no excuses for the beaten brigade. Cemented the tag of an all-time great side.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
That was as clear a deliberate as any I have seen in years. Hartlett clearly had no other intention than to knock the ball over the line. If he had have wanted to hit to team mates either side of him he could have easily knocked it in their direction. We had 6 paid against us in that game and none were as deliberate as that. Bolton was tackled and spun 360 degrees and he handballed it over when trying to get rid of it. Should have been given the benefit of the doubt given he was being tackled in the way he was. Short kicked one towards a team mate but the ball bounced 45 degrees and over the boundary line. How is that deliberate?

Port supporters are massive whiners. Had all the favours last year (incluiding 2 home finals against teams that hadn't been in their homes for 100 days) but still couldn't get it done. They would do well to remember that in that final we won by 6 points but also had 6 more scoring shots; all behinds. We kick a bit straighter and it's a 3-4 goal margin.
I am sympathetic to Port supporters on the pain of this decision. I would be whining also if one our players did such a blatant OOB's at such a crucial time in a PF.

I am sure they know it was a free kick, they just choose not to accept it.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

Spot on

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
From memory most of the media agreed with the deliberate call. It was only Kornholio that went off in the other direction calling it the worst call of the year.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Classic thread, Port supporters are such whiners, never stop complaining about umpires. Of course we were the ones absolutely destroyed by the umpires all night, even the commentators were against us. :rotfl2
Can't resist giving us PRE nuffies a clip eh.

Simply, the commentators most of the time, over the last 4 or so years, are against us. But it's because the Richmond winning again is boring and doesn't make for good media attention. Cheering on the underdogs and hoping for an upset win is part and parcel of what they do. All the time, every time.

It happens. But it's understandable.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Classic thread, Port supporters are such whiners, never stop complaining about umpires. Of course we were the ones absolutely destroyed by the umpires all night, even the commentators were against us. :rotfl2

Pretty concerning that our players can hear the TV game commentary while playing, I guess they are plugged into the matrix

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
It just amuses me to see what footy does to otherwise rational people.

I was at that game and all I heard all night was Port supporters outraged that they were crucified all night by the umpiring. Then I came home and got on here and found what happened was actually the complete opposite.
That's footy I guess.

My 2 cents worth is that it would have been the hardest game of the year to umpire. Wet, intense pressure all game, high stakes and close. That free to Lambert could easily have not been payed, so i think we did okay in the end.

Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Not to mention that mark.
dursma234.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It just amuses me to see what footy does to otherwise rational people.

I was at that game and all I heard all night was Port supporters outraged that they were crucified all night by the umpiring. Then I came home and got on here and found what happened was actually the complete opposite.
Oh well; we can't help it if Port supporters are stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users