Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I don't think they were really underselling us nor would many have been willing to put money where their tips were.

They were playing the game called AFL media. Pump up the underdog, try and make it sound like it wasn't a foregone conclusion, generate debate and discussion topics to fill the hours and hours of AFL related shows when there is only one match to talk about.

I think we can be precious sometimes. Everyone knows we are so far ahead of the competition that it's boring to talk about unless you're a Tiger. The media need something to talk about and everyone saying "Yep, Richmond will **** it in by a record margin" will leave nothing to discuss.
I hear you, but for years (decades?) the HUN knew that a photo of Buckley/Daicos/King/Moore on the front page would sell papers. Now what we have stormed past them in terms of membership numbers, I am a bit surprised by the underdog focus.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Mike Sheahan always said that a negative Richmond story will sell more papers than anything else. Next a positive Collingwood story, then a negative Essendon.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Not just the scribes, Fagan and Scott were just as perplexed when we beat them in the finals as the stats showed they should have won.
Poor Fagan. His head is still spinning. It's like being slapped by an invisible man.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
This year’s finals also showed up just how much we use the corridor and just how little everybody else uses it.

We are taking advantage of the universal paranoia in the comp that says you have to protect your defence by never turning it over in the middle. Better to do it out wide so you can try to scramble the ball over the boundary.

Then poor old GWS tried to use the corridor in the Grand Final and all that happened was we picked them off in even better positions. The Shai Bolton mark from a Jeremy Cameron attempted switch comes to mind.

No wonder heads are exploding!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Mike Sheahan always said that a negative Richmond story will sell more papers than anything else. Next a positive Collingwood story, then a negative Essendon.
It has always been negative stories about both Richmond and Collingwood.

Which makes sense. Both teams have loud, passionate supporters who have a lot to say when their team is flying. It makes sense that everyone else wants to put the boot in the rest of the time.

We lulled them all into a false sense of security for 37 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
To the defense of many commentators, most of them played against Richmond between the 80's and 2015. They only have memories of easy beats, a team that would wilt under minimal pressure.

And given many of them are not that bright, it must be quite perplexing to see a dominant Richmond club both on and off the field.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Poor Fagan. His head is still spinning. It's like being slapped by an invisible man.

Fagan just kept on referring to the numbers.
Pity the old prick didn't see the slapping he was copping.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Never forget before the start of 2019 that Champion Data rated Melbourne's midfield as the best in the comp.

And the oracle Gaddy Lyon ranked Oliver and Brayshaw in his top 5 midfield duos of recent times:rolleyes: Yet no mention of Dusty and Cotchin in the same articleo_O

FFS if that doesn't tell you what you need to know about that peanut as a football expert then nothing will!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
And the oracle Gaddy Lyon ranked Oliver and Brayshaw in his top 5 midfield duos of recent times:rolleyes: Yet no mention of Dusty and Cotchin in the same articleo_O

FFS if that doesn't tell you what you need to know about that peanut as a football expert then nothing will!

Lyons not holding a tom hanks coconut conversation there

The entire AA selection squad who didnt select Dusty last year have absolved themselves of all credibility.

Even the ones who unsuccessfuly argued passionately to include Dusty, who is twice as good as second best player in the competition, diminished themselves by not handing in their badge in protest, IMO.

Reactions: 6 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
I see old David King is telling us RFC have changed football and every club needs to catchup.

This guy is a genius
Mystic Meg is the biggest fraud in AFL media. (Dwayne is just a blatant fire lighter so doesn’t register.)

Meg will be backing ‘Rossy’ for the coach of the year again... “He’ll make a comeback this year Gerard. Just you wait and see.”

Fraud.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

How the bloody hell he gets a gig is beyond me. No brains, no charm, to my eyes he's no oil painting. It just seems to be this boys club with this *smile* narrative about how 'oh Gary, Brad, that guy who had an affair with the office intern are too good to be lost to footy', get stuffed. Bring in some new blood ffs. Corrupt nepotistic *smile*. Seriously, we apparently will all be dimished if we don't get to see Gary bloody lyon on telly, drives me mad this crap. Backslappy boys club.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
How the bloody hell he gets a gig is beyond me. No brains, no charm, to my eyes he's no oil painting. It just seems to be this boys club with this *smile* narrative about how 'oh Gary, Brad, that guy who had an affair with the office intern are too good to be lost to footy', get stuffed. Bring in some new blood ffs. Corrupt nepotistic *smile*. Seriously, we apparently will all be dimished if we don't get to see Gary bloody lyon on telly, drives me mad this crap. Backslappy boys club.

Still remember the day Barry Young whack him and got 4 weeks. Reckon he might of got some good kanga Bazz for doing it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne

You really have nailed all his good characteristics here.

• Wow

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You really have nailed all his good characteristics here.

These bozos get these cushy overpaid jobs and perform average and stuff up, yet we're expected to buy the notion that they have the right to one of these gigs for life! Its whackyland!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Lyons not holding a tom hanks coconut conversation there

The entire AA selection squad who didnt select Dusty last year have absolved themselves of all credibility.

Even the ones who unsuccessfuly argued passionately to include Dusty, who is twice as good as second best player in the competition, diminished themselves by not handing in their badge in protest, IMO.
All valid points easy but the fact that Lyon had the temerity to rank Oliver and Bradshaw so high, and not even mention Dusty and Chimp shows either extreme ignorance or bias. In Lyon’s case most likely both.

He can’t be taken seriously when he espouses such absolute tripe.

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
All valid points easy but the fact that Lyon had the temerity to rank Oliver and Bradshaw so high, and not even mention Dusty and Chimp shows either extreme ignorance or bias. In Lyon’s case most likely both.

He can’t be taken seriously when he espouses such absolute tripe.

It was one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I think the reason these idiots don't rate Martin as high as they might is that he is the complete antithesis of a flat-track bully.
When we play lesser sides, I really think Martin tends to take the night off. It's like, "I'm here if you need me boys, but let's get some serious game time into the new blokes."
But when the heat is on he's really on.
The club's first ever interstate final win against a team we didn't really put away at home the week before - six goals from 14 possessions thank you very much.
Two Grand Finals - Two Norm Smiths.
In the end, it's better for the team because it accelerates the development of the next generation of players at the expense of Martin filling his pockets against lower sides.
Ultimate team player, and it probably also is why we don't flog sides and boost our percentage. It's all about the management of the available resources.
Might also speak to the 2018 results. We were sweeping all before us and he struggled for motivation.

Reactions: 6 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Think ya right there @Jonesracing82 iirc Nick Riewoldt was the only bloke who backed us in after the bye and never jumped off.
Clearly understood how we played while the majority of the so called expert analysts pulled up their Champion Data stats and hypothesized on our inadequacies!l
Correct, Carey is the only 1 that could see the bigger picture with us all along. the rest simply were falling over themselves to write us off multiple times. i even wonder how some of them still have thier job this yr...

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
They know very well from what the coaches tell them that the game constantly changes, but too often their analysis of Richmond is limited to pressure, Martin & Rance.
Like all the articles on us post GF trying to find our "secret", we don't have just 1, we are the best performed 22 by a long way which is why we are the dominant team atm. All Clubs have thier star power as do we but we have by far the best role players that make up the 22 that run out onto the ground. We even found out early last yr we have some decent depth going fwd as well.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
You’re really under selling the AFL media there..... they’ve been very poor for years!
this is correct but i have not seen the eventual Premier written off so many times & by so many as we were last yr. I don't even reckon they understand the "bigger picture" in the early rounds of the season. they want to discuss who the contenders are even before the yr starts, no wonder they get it so wrong.